Badgers 1/72 Trumpeter Model 1944 T34/85 - Finished!

badger

Two steps forward and one back today.

Firstly I've now finished the base (other than the black edging and a name plate).

I weathered the building with various washes before highlighting that and the pavement with either light grey or a pale sand depending on the base colour. 

My printed signs were then cut out and glued on with canopy glue, as were some printed wood sections and a few of the posters I showed back on page 2.

20200721_180220

Windows were glazed with acetate before adding blinds to the lower ones from painted foil.

Finally a selective green wash was applied to a few places and some weeds added.

20200721_180211

On the bad news front I'm having track problems. The trumpeter ones won't stick with even the loctite xtreme repair glue I usually use for trumpeter tracks.

Sadly in trying to fit a set lots of the paint has cracked off so they'll need some repair work.

They also seem too short but if I can't get them to stick together this won't matter.

Worst case scenario I'll use either a dragon set or a revell set.

All the best

Ben 

Edited by badger
Replaced duplicate photo
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Foxbat said:

That base looks fantastic. Worst case, just leave it like that - the T-34 is round the corner, we just missed him :)

Andy

Thanks Andy 

Was quite fun to do and came together quickly in the end.

Have painted the edges black tonight so they can dry ready for a gloss varnish tomorrow.

Tanks finished other than the tracks which I have managed to stick together with some zap kicker superglue and have repainted the damaged sections. I'll give them a wash in the morning and then hopefully will be able to finally get them fitted.

Then it's on to the figures. I have two cleaned up ready for primer- six more to go.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BIG X said:

WOW - What a roller coaster of a ride - brilliant as always mate.

Steve

Thanks Steve

It has been a bit of an epic so far! Just finished cleaning up the last figure so will get some primer on them in a bit.

Tracks are driving me around the bend. Having resorted to welding them together with copious amounts of superglue I decided they looked too messy to use on this build as I couldn't hide the join with some mud.

Luckily I have a couple of other versions of the trumpeter kit in the stash so swopped them for a fresh set.

I tried all sorts to get these to join and eventually had to resort to a hot screwdriver to melt them together, followed by some superglue to reinforce. I've just given them a coat of paint and will apply some washes once that's dry.

Still not sure if they'll even be long enough.

More soon

All the best 

Ben

• Like 1

Hi Ben. WOW! Your base looks absolutely superb!! Very nicely done. Sorry to hear about the problems with the tracks. Hope you manage to get something sorted.

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Thanks 1

On 25/07/2020 at 12:30, PlaStix said:

Hi Ben. WOW! Your base looks absolutely superb!! Very nicely done. Sorry to hear about the problems with the tracks. Hope you manage to get something sorted.

Kind regards,

Stix 

Cheers Stix - I'm just applying a wash to the tracks and will hopefully try fitting them again later today. If not I'll use a dragon set from the stash and replace these with okb next time I do an order.

13 hours ago, Hewy said:

The modelling is superb ben ,great job all round

Thanks Hewy. Busy painting the figures at the moment- they'll take a while yet.

All the best

Ben

• Like 2

And figure painting is progressing.

Taking some time but am quite pleased with the results so far. Still a fair bit to do on them yet.

2020-07-28_09-40-11

All the best

Ben

• Like 6

And in other news the tracks are on!!

They need gluing to the tops of the wheels still - but I'll do that tomorrow. Need a tiny amount of touch up where I scratched a bit of paint off on one but fingers crossed so far.

2020-07-28_09-51-45

• Like 6

19 hours ago, SimonT said:

How on earth did you manage such a neat job on those figures, they look excellent (along with the rest).

Thank you very much - they're not quite as tidy in real life as they look in the photo as there's still some touching up to do.

I prime them with halfords grey then use vallejo or games workshop paints, thinning with water as required. I use a brush with a decent point - mostly an Italeri size 000 I've had for a few years.

I start with the basic trousers and tunic then layer the details onto this. Once they're all in then I'll shade it with a thinned down army painter brown shade.

Hope this helps

Ben

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Ben. Lovely work on the figures and well done on getting the tracks on.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix

Away visiting family at the moment so no more progress at present. 

I'll pick this back up once we get back home.

All the best

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

With the weather here being much cooler today I've picked this up again and have been busy painting figures. 

Think they're pretty much done now - shading wash is drying as I type this, then I can have a final check for touch ups.

No photos yet - will do some when they're finished.

Just the tracks to finish attaching to the tops of the road wheels then I can put the whole diorama together and call it finished.

Just in time too as I'm off for a carpal tunnel op next week which will put me out of action for a while (and mean I miss the start of the Vietnam GB).

More soon

All the best

Ben

• Like 2

Well - a long overdue return to this build.

Having been put off by the recent hot weather, I've had a decent session tonight and managed to almost draw this to a close.

20200824_215325

Having fought me all the way, the tracks are on and fitted to the roadwheels. I'm not very happy with the way they wrap around the idlers so have positioned the tank to hide this as much as possible.

I think this is probably because they seem slightly too short and are made of such soft vinyl they are deforming around the wheel.

I got the tow cables fitted which adds a bit more interest.

20200824_215336

The figures are all done, just waiting for a final wash to fully dry then they can be matt varnished if needed before positioning on the tank and base.

2020-08-24_10-01-17

More soon

All the best 

Ben

• Like 3

Very nearly the final update.

Figures have been matt varnished with some Windsor and Newton Galeria and have been fitted to the tank and base.

20200824_230418

All that's left is a few final touch ups and a bit of weathering on the figures feet and tanks tracks to blend them into the base.

20200824_230424

Should have this done tomorrow and in the gallery.

20200824_230447

All the best

Ben

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Ben. That really is coming all together beautifully. Your attention to detail in 1/72 is very impressive.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix - most kind of you to say.

There isn't a lot left to do so a decent session should see it done.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Calling this done. A final session today has finished this off. 

A few touch ups around the figures and some pastel weathering to blend the tracks and figures into the base has completed the build.

20200912_215601 20200912_215619

20200912_215647

20200912_215714 20200912_215809 20200912_215835

I'll post my photos up in the gallery but would just like to end with a thanks to the hosts for a fun GB.

All the best

Ben

• Like 3