Badgers 1/72 Trumpeter Model 1944 T34/85 - Finished!

badger

Given up waiting for the rain to stop (I usually use a tamiya aerosol for WW2 Soviet) so have broken out the airbrush and given it a cost of Vallejo 096 Russian Green which is supposed to be 4B0. It's actually pretty close to the Tamiya which is why I use the aerosol.

2020-07-02_03-11-50

It looks a lot brighter in the photo due to the lighting in spray booth and garage.

More soon

All the best

Ben

• Like 5

A teeny update.

Decals (all two of them) are on. I used an Armo sheet I had in the stash to represent a vehicle from the 2nd Armoured Brigade of the 1st Armoured Corps in Germany, April 1945.

2020-07-06_07-52-09

I also made the towing cables from twisted copper wire and the ends from the kit.

More soon

All the best

Ben

• Like 3

Bit more of an update.

Basic window frames are now in - have some cross pieces still to add and the decorative overlay on the bottom centre one still needs adding, which will hide the small gap.

2020-07-06_09-22-29

More soon

Ben

• Like 2

A small but significant update tonight.

Window frames are now complete so the base is ready for priming and painting.

2020-07-08_09-10-14

The tank has then had the various metallic parts painted. Just the rubber tyres to do now then its on to washes and weathering.

The decals have been sealed with matt varnish which is still a bit wet in the photo

2020-07-08_09-10-07

If I can get the tyres out of the way (it's the bit I hate most on a build), then I'll be much happier.

More soon

Ben

• Like 2

Sat in endless online meetings and training today so thought I'd get the tyres painted while I listened.

I normally mix my own colour using approx 60:40 black and earth brown. Not having many paints to hand, I thought I'd try using Games Workshops Corvus Black as it was next to me.

Rather impressed and might now be my tyre colour of choice. It's not actually black - more a dark grey with a hint of brown.

2020-07-09_02-48-30

Just need to matt coat the decal again (they were very glossy!) and weathering can commence.

Have also primered the base but no photo of that.

More soon 

Ben

• Like 2

Also managed to get a shading wash on this afternoon.

This was a 70:30 mix of army painter dark (black) and strong (dark brown) washes, heavily thinned with water.

Very pleased with the result as it's a lot less stark than my usual pure black wash.

2020-07-09_05-05-14

Note my home made painting handle - a length of wooden dowel glued to a box. There's a large chunk of roof flashing in the box to give it some weight and stop it tipping over.

Works a treat and was free!

• Like 4

More progress tonight. Started painting the details on the building and cobbled. A lot more to do but it's starting to take shape.

Applied a bit of filler where the primer had picked up a few gaps.

2020-07-09_09-35-57

Tank has had some selective washes to add detail and is beginning to look rather good now

2020-07-09_09-36-09

More soon

Ben

• Like 4

On 11/07/2020 at 12:47, BIG X said:

Brilliant diorama mate - I'm looking forward to more of the same.

Cheers - Steve

Thanks Steve

It's quite a lot further along from this now as had a major painting session  on it on Friday.

Sadly been feeling a bit under the weather the last couple of days so no photos.

Hopefully I'll get back to it in the week.

All the best

Ben 

• Like 1

On 13/07/2020 at 14:59, PlaStix said:

Hi Ben. That all looks to be coming together beautifully! :thumbsup:

Hope you feel better soon.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix

Seems to be a bit of a summer cold, but it's eased a bit now so managed to get a bit more done over the last few days.

Trumpeters tracks are pretty horrible. From previous experience I know my usual halfords metallic grey wont stick at all and just flakes back off.

I primed these with halfords grey (which has started flaking a bit), but then brush painted with some Games Workshop lead belcher. Once this had dried I mixed up a 50/50 black and dark brown wash, thinned with water, and heavily applied this.

2020-07-17_01-26-50

Pleased with the result. Once dry I'll do the other side them some selective weathering and I can get them on the tank. That's bound to be fun!!

More soon

Ben

• Like 1

And just like that everything came together on the tank.

I applied various washes, filters and pastels to weather it, trying to keep it relatively clean but with light dust.

A shot of the various products used

2020-07-17_04-21-47

And a few photos of the tank. Rather pleased with this. Just the tracks and tow cables to finish off and add then it's on to finishing the base and figures.

20200717_161433 20200717_161443 20200717_161528

More soon

All the best

Ben

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Looks good so far Ben, the street scene will be a good looking Dio. Is that a currency coin or a medal ? 

On the side with the star Сто Рублей translates as 100 Rubles and победа is Victory. I don't know when they were issued, but there are versions with the T-55 and T-62 so look to be commemorative of 1945 rather than issued then.

See T-62 Coin for example. I haven't tracked down when or why they were issued, but researching it is an interesting alternative to sleep this morning :D 

Andy

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Looks good so far Ben, the street scene will be a good looking Dio. Is that a currency coin or a medal ? 

Thanks for this - I think it's a commemorative coin not real currency but I could be wrong - I bought it off ebay for a £1 or 2 many years ago.

5 hours ago, Foxbat said:

On the side with the star Сто Рублей translates as 100 Rubles and победа is Victory. I don't know when they were issued, but there are versions with the T-55 and T-62 so look to be commemorative of 1945 rather than issued then.

See T-62 Coin for example. I haven't tracked down when or why they were issued, but researching it is an interesting alternative to sleep this morning :D 

Andy

Excellent- thank you Andy. I also had a rubbish nights sleep and ended up downstairs at 2am as it was too stuffy to sleep.

There's quite a few different ones I've seen. Works nicely in the model cabinet alongside a few other similar items such as my Falklands war commemorative coin.

All the best

Ben

• Like 2

Update for tonight. After a couple of hours work I've finished painting all the cobbles in and have applied the first wash (there will be a few different ones to tone everything down and blend it together a bit more).

2020-07-19_10-02-09

Still got the path to do but my eyes need a rest now :hypnotised:

All the best

Ben

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

:yikes: .... Dang thats Impressive ! Id be going a bit wonky eyed myself if I tried that.  

Many thanks - was a bit "interesting" trying to keep it looking random as I realised that I was automatically leaving two cobbles between each one I painted so the effect was getting too regular. 

The inspiration comes from a fantastic series on modelling realistic buildings and roads in the old Military Modelling magazine by a chap who's name I forget. There are 5 colours in it - two mid, one dark and two light.

Although it looks very stark and a bit unrealistic at this point, after a couple of shading washes (undiluted Games Workshops Agrax Earthshade) it then looks like this:

2020-07-20_09-21-46

Much better. It stills needs a little more weathering but the basic shading is finished. I've also started the pavement using the same idea but only 3 colours this time (plus a mix of two of them for the kerbstones).

More soon

Ben

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SimonT said:

That looks excellent, very realistic!

Thank you kindly.

I was planning on doing a load more on it this afternoon, what with me being on holiday and all.

Sadly Mrs Badger discovered a huge wasps nest under one of our giant conifers (that we're having taken out in a few weeks as it's been slowly dying for a few years), so my afternoon has been spent dealing with that. Got a fair chunk of it out and disposed of.

Not quite won the battle yet, but a tactical withdrawal was affected to allow them to settle and me not to get stung more than the three times the blighters got me.

More soon hopefully.

Ben

47 minutes ago, badger said:

Well there goes my smile for today. Found a second nest so had to deal with that.

Think yourself lucky that you didn't get what we had a few years ago.............a hornets nest. Oh Boy! are those SOBs a problem.

John.

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

Think yourself lucky that you didn't get what we had a few years ago.............a hornets nest. Oh Boy! are those SOBs a problem.

John.

Ooh - yep I'll take regular paper wasps any time. Luckily they don't swarm so I've been able to clear both nests away with only a couple of stings.

I'll leave it 24 hours or so for them to disperse before clearing away the debris. 

Had to be done though as my tree surgeon was refusing to come out unless the nests had been taken care of. 

Hopefully some modelling can now take place, although I'm just heading up to check the attic as we've had a couple of nests started up there in previous years that I've managed to find and get rid of before they really got started.

All the best

Ben

• Like 2