First time airbrushing and first model in 20 year. Spitfire 1/48

Hi all this is my Tamiya 1/48 Spitfire, the first model I have done in roughly 20 years, since I was about 12 years old and my first try at airbrushing.

I bought this kit as a practice kit before I start on a couple of 1/32 Spitfires I didn't want to mess up. I learned quite a lot whilst doing this one. The historical accuracy might not be 100% as I mainly wanted to practice how to put a model together, how to paint and weathering techniques.

Lessons learned:

-Do not paint small green items in the garden. Once you drop it on the grass its gone forever. Crawling around like Honey I shrunk the kids.

-Microsol and Set didnt soften the decals very well and created a tent effect. Ended up tearing a couple. Bought Mr Mark Softer and found it much better. Will be stenciling some on the next model.

-I need to buy a work desk to build on, stooping over a worktop with no seat made this quite difficult, standing up throughout.

Any future tips welcomed.

IMG-20200611-135743.jpg

IMG-20200611-135656.jpg

IMG-20200611-135537.jpg

IMG-20200611-134831.jpg
IMG-20200611-134807.jpg

IMG-20200611-134723.jpg

IMG-20200611-134644.jpg

IMG-20200611-134558.jpg

IMG-20200611-134543.jpg

Edited by ToonarmY
  • Like 41
  • Thanks 1

Well that’s a darn good effort! Don’t think you need any advice as it looks like you know what to do, but a work bench would make your life easier and save a lot of backache! The speed l work at l’d be stood up for 6 months!!

• Haha 1

That is one fabulous practice kit! It looks amazing.

1 hour ago, ToonarmY said:

Do not paint small green items in the garden. Once you drop it on the grass its gone forever

L O L ;) . Advice duly noted, though I normally spray with cans in the garden in my booth of sorts.

10 minutes ago, Abandoned Project said:

That is one fabulous practice kit! It looks amazing.

L O L ;) . Advice duly noted, though I normally spray with cans in the garden in my booth of sorts.

If your a spitfire enthusiast you will notice this model is missing a rear view mirror. The ants have it now

• Like 2

Superb Spit and top marks for building it stood up....!!!  Top, topperer marks for the first time using an airbrush too - very smart finish.

Funnily enough, I've sometimes had similar problems with decals using Microsol as well, a strange kind of rising bubbling effect that doesn't then settle.

Something to sit on must be the next purchase for your modelling arsenal though!!

Welcome to the madhouse as well.....!!

Phil

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Great looking Spitfire and a great comeback build. :clap2:... Ive been using Microset and Microsol since the 1980’s, Ive never had a problem with either of them before. I wonder if you had a bad batch or something else wrong it ? 

A few people have mentioned some Tamiya decals are quite thick. Maybe that was the cause. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, zigster said:

Looks good, but I think,the wheel wells should be the same as under-surface, rather than silver.

Zig

Cheer, I might do that with the next one. It would have actually been easier to do them all one colour too.

Definitely will be getting a table and chair to work at next time on the 1/32 scale.  Looking forward to getting stuck into another one. Quite fancy doing a Sherman Firefly tank now too, oh dear it begins....

Hi There,

Mr. Mark Softer and Setter are designed for use with Tamiya decals and I've found them to be great with them. Microlsol and Microset don't touch them at all.

Really good looking kit there.

Cheers,

Alistair

First model in 20 years, eh?   Well, one wouldn't know from looking; that's a great return to our hobby sir! 😀  You've done a much better job than I did on my "return" many years ago. 😉  That looks like the work of a real "up and comer".  Welcome back with an impressive Spit!  :clap2:

*** here's my crude effort at returning to scale models, back in the '80s:

My first

Nice work! :clap2:

16 hours ago, ToonarmY said:

-Microsol and Set didnt soften the decals very well and created a tent effect. Ended up tearing a couple. Bought Mr Mark Softer and found it much better.

Indeed. Tamiya decals are too thick--and too ornery IMHO--to care much about Microsol/Microset. My approach is to toss them and use aftermarket decals.

1 hour ago, dnl42 said:

Nice work! :clap2:

Indeed. Tamiya decals are too thick--and too ornery IMHO--to care much about Microsol/Microset. My approach is to toss them and use aftermarket decals.

Daco decal setting solution for me - several layers (the soft version, the strong one easily melts acrylic paint!)

After a long hiatus and a first time airbrushing you present us this beautiful Spit? Can’t wait to see one of those big brothers of him here soon 😉 beautiful work, no one would tell it’s your first with a AB.