F-14A Tomcat, First cruise VF-1 Wolfpack

Gorgeous model, stunning cockpit and you put more stencils on your weapons than I put on an entire model. Definitely makes your weapons come alive! The Tomcat is a beautiful airplane, no matter that it was covered in camouflage during most of its service life, but I can't help but love the very colorful markings carried by F-14 squadrons when the airplane was in its early years. VF-1 and VF-21 are among my favorites, as is VF-114. Perhaps oddly, the paintings I've seen representing what the Tomcat would have looked like in Blue Angels markings don't appeal at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, reggie78usmc said:

amazing work! I just picked up the same kit! will be doing the Jolly Rogers bird!

Thanx reggie :D enjoy it and remember not to deviate from the instructions! ;)

1 hour ago, SAT69 said:

Gorgeous model, stunning cockpit and you put more stencils on your weapons than I put on an entire model. Definitely makes your weapons come alive! The Tomcat is a beautiful airplane, no matter that it was covered in camouflage during most of its service life, but I can't help but love the very colorful markings carried by F-14 squadrons when the airplane was in its early years. VF-1 and VF-21 are among my favorites, as is VF-114. Perhaps oddly, the paintings I've seen representing what the Tomcat would have looked like in Blue Angels markings don't appeal at all.

Thanx SAT69 :D couldn't agree more :D the tomcat is drop dead gorgeous and both the hi-viz live and the TPS have their charms!

1 hour ago, RMCS said:

Superb 

Thanx RMCS :D

5 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

It's a Tomcat, so already a winner. You have made a stunning model of it, great work.

Thanx Phone Phixer :D

The Tammy Tomcat is a wonderful kit of an awesome cold war jet :D There will be more of them!

4 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

My God that was a good-looking aircraft! 🥰

Thanx Bandsaw Steve :D

few jets can match the Tomcat in looks!

4 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

Not a Tomcat guy here, but that looks spectacular! Almost makes me want to buy a kit :)

Cheers,

J

Thanx JeffeyK :D

LoL, only almost? What do we have to do to push you gently over the ledge?

3 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

That is a fantastic Tomcat sir! :clap2:  Very impressive scale model, so well done!  Congratulations on an amazing build. :worthy:

Thanx Gary Brantley :D Very kind of you     U

3 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Outstanding build!!! :clap2:

Bravo!

Thanx dnl42 :D

• Like 1

Since i watched the movie,, The final Countdown,, with Kirk Douglas and Martin Sheen in german cinema, i am a huge fan of the Tomcat. Now i see your fantastic model and im deep impressed, great paint and weathering job, outstanding work.

You made my day

• Like 1

Wow.   There is so much that I like about your model including the classic color scheme, markings from a historical period of the Tomcat, and the seamless conversion work.

I do have a few questions if you don't mind -

Did you encounter and issues with AIRES afterburner parts?

What did you need to adapt for the Fightertown decals to fit the Tamiya F-14?

Beautiful model!

Well then, Tomcat, Hi-Viz, VF-1 First Cruise - whats not to like....!!!!  

Absolutely beautiful build and finish, well done buddy - one to be very proud of.

I too fell in love with the F-14 after watching The Final Countdown - memories of those flight scenes (and The Bones) will never leave me.

Your link isn't working for me.

Phil

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Harry Callahan said:

Since i watched the movie,, The final Countdown,, with Kirk Douglas and Martin Sheen in german cinema, i am a huge fan of the Tomcat. Now i see your fantastic model and im deep impressed, great paint and weathering job, outstanding work.

You made my day

Thanx Werner :D I'm happy you enjoyed it.

3 hours ago, John B said:

Wow.   There is so much that I like about your model including the classic color scheme, markings from a historical period of the Tomcat, and the seamless conversion work.

I do have a few questions if you don't mind -

Did you encounter and issues with AIRES afterburner parts?

What did you need to adapt for the Fightertown decals to fit the Tamiya F-14?

Beautiful model!

Thanx John B :D

Ah, yes the cans.... the outer parts fit just fine but to fit the inner parts I ran into a few issues. If you look at the Tamyia parts for the tunnel and afterburnner ring you notice that they are a bit cone shaped, that is to fit the strakes under the engine nacelles. If you look carefully at my model you notice that the strakes aren't pushed all the way in.

that is because the aires tunnel is straight and there was no room. I removed lots of material on the inside with my dremel to make room for the aires parts.

About the decals, they fit really well actually even though they are for the Hasegawa kit. The only adjustment I did was on the vertical stabs since the gawa stabs are a bit too large so I had to cut away excess decal when I fitted the decals to the Tammy stabs. :D

cheers :D

3 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

A great kit with great results!!!!! :clap2:

Mike

Thanx Mike :D

2 hours ago, Booty003 said:

Well then, Tomcat, Hi-Viz, VF-1 First Cruise - whats not to like....!!!!  

Absolutely beautiful build and finish, well done buddy - one to be very proud of.

I too fell in love with the F-14 after watching The Final Countdown - memories of those flight scenes (and The Bones) will never leave me.

Your link isn't working for me.

Phil

Thanx Phil :D

I fell for it when I saw Top gun at the movies.....such a gorgeous jet!

hmmmm....nope something is wrong with the link. Oh well it's just pictures of happy middle aged men building away for a weekend away from family and home :D

2 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

That’s a gorgeous build. Good to see its a line bird too and not a ubiquitous CAG or CO jet. 

The steel beach vent looks a bit coarse though? Whats the quality of their parts like?

Tony 

Thanx Tony :D

yeah, I prefer line birds too. 

The SB vents are decent....at the time they were the only game in town but now I believe there are at least one more brand out there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, binbrook87 said:

Brilliant! Love those early Tomcats

Thanx binbrook87 :D they are colourful aren't they :D

2 hours ago, Shark444 said:

"I feel the need... the need for speed!"

LoL indeed Shark444 :D

1 hour ago, Oberleutnant said:

Absolutely brilliant.

Thanx Oberleutnant :D

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jimmyg352 said:

That's an amazing Tomcat, absolutely stunning! 

I envy your skills!

Thanx Jimmy :D

only one way to learn is to build and dare to try new things :D

at present I'm trying to learn figure painting...well still need to work on my faces :P

2 minutes ago, F-32 said:

Superb work, that's awesome

Thanx F-32 :D

This is the best paint scheme ever sported by a Tomcat, IMHO!

And a stunning build as well.

Congrats!!!

JR