Mercedes CLK-GTR

Hi All,

This is another one that I bought a while back (Late 90's, early 00's?) and decided that I need to get going with it again.

First, the box art:

y4m5M4nnb53josBOXKU6Kid4b5bxysJ1zEe4r-ND

Brutally Handsome (Hotel California).

The engine had been built a while ago, and primed, but not painted.

I sprayed the entire built engine (as far as it had got) in Zero paints aluminium:

y4mUPjBX0OJK4bCAt65WJ_AW8ziwzGVxxZBUw88m

On small components, like the suspension above, I like to paint them matt-black, then aluminium and other metallic colours. The metallic colours come up really well painted over matt black.

It's a trick I learnt from my son who was at one time really into Warhammer. There they paint the figures black, the paint the metallic armour over that.

After I had sprayed the engine aluminium, I then painted the transmission with the called-out colours 

The 'box' at the back should be woven carbon fibre, but I have never tried to use the decals, so I stuck with satin black. Maybe the next model, or the next, or the next ...

y4muf83ovvuAMN1bF60VK0CFXKBSJrwGtH0JLPg-

Here's the engine with the decals on the cam covers.

Everything about this car is brutal.

A six litre V-12 producing 800 bhp (I think). Must have sounded amazing.

More to come,

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Alan.

• Like 3

Hi All,

Another update. This is all happening as I find the pictures that I downloaded a few days ago.

The exhausts are assembled. Here they are still unpainted:

y4mGQOkoRrLtmO65MPq_F-f9YmBhnd0ufUkFyewI

I made sure that they aligned correctly by putting them onto the engine while the cement in the joints set to ensure that they will fit later (BTW. They did!)

The gear linkage:

y4mFvzAEAJRKNxN9w2JDakJ-YUopDa23mNMKM2v8

I am using the 'Hobby Design' photo-etch set with this kit, though not all of it. There are some parts that are just too small for my eyes and fingers (Somewhat sausage-like!)

That's all the pictures I currently have. Progress has gone beyond this, but I suspect that the pictures are still on the camera.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alan.

Edited by Alan R
  • Like 4

• Mike changed the title to Mercedes CLK-GTR
1 hour ago, Sabrejet said:

Here are some shots I took of this car at Festival of Speed. Hope they'll be of use

Hi Sabrejet.

They will be of great use, thanks.

Cheers,

Alan.

P.S. I notice that the brake ducts are aluminium and the retaining rings (for want of a better phrase) are orange. The Tamiya instructions have the colours inverted. I followed slavishly. It's not too late for me to reverse them!

I have assembled the rear suspension, but with a careful eye and intricate brushwork, I think I can get it right. Thanks.

Edited by Alan R
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hi All,

Just a minor update. Not much really done since the last post.

I have primed the body, but I am not sure where those photos are...

Anyway here we are:

y4mlDSHkwqY56RbhdwxWIllrubI4o3xCFu8amHlQ

The engine, rear suspension and transmission...

y4mWfZKtTVR9u884jWE0aZpbV-XVOc4V931b3SD1

Part of the induction system (I think), with some bits from the Hobby Design set plus a couple of other additions of my own.

y4mPO2oqrGreIpdw8d-pj_eqOVsanbudPmRStBgn

The interior sprayed with Halfords' Satin black. It looks a bit orange-peely here, but the paint was a bit wet still.

When set, the paint levels down really well.

y4ma8aONIn6MFsR9x0yEMlYw90bbdbLJuhRnLhCz

That's all for the moment. I re-photograph the body panels when I remember... :)

Thanks for looking,

Alan.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Hi All,

I cannot believe that a year has passed since I last posted anything on this build!

Some decent progress has been made, so here are a few more images.

y4mWrjuygR8RCvGO506bh6m86uMS9Dl7EqZ6Gm7i

The plenum chamber. I primed this in thinned Tamiya XF19 (Light Grey) and the brush painted it in my own home-brew semi-gloss black (3 parts XF1, 2 parts Gloss black, 10 parts Mr. Color Levelling thinners)

With care you get a very smooth finish with no brush marks.

y4mHTgCWHM1McL7EfqRFZ_6xEjOP6XdiEPaPIoS9

Here we have the cockpit in a a semi-finished state.

I picked out the bolts on the plenum with a cocktail stick with silver (X11).

The dash-board here is painted in XF63, as per the instructions, air-brushed on. I got a great smooth finish. The I managed to spill some X-10 on a spot of in a very visible place. I ran it under the tap and it seemed to remove the paint without damaging the sprayed finish. However, the next day, I noticed that the X=10 had burned through the dark grey. I didn't want to crack out the air-brush again, just for the visible scar. Neither did I want to brush paint it and I was expecting to get a visible brush mark...

In the end, I solved it by dipping a cotton bud in the pre-thinned dark grey and carefully applied it to the damaged section on the dash-board. Problem solved! Another technique added to my arsenal.

y4m3bbcvq-SzVH5Kbuso_0fJJqVcymHM_3f6RXQB

The dashboard, pre-X-10 blunder

The seat:

I

y4miw69SUe9b84g-LYc_TCO_DQPJjhLP3hjsON8U

I used the Tamiya provided decal for the seat-belts. I tried to use the bits provided in the Hobby-Design etch set, but I cut the belt material wrong and couldn't get the buckes to fit. I was too tired, so I used the decals instead.

Once it's in the cockpit and hidden by the windows, I don't think it'll look too bad.

y4mQLYsIs6Lk9PK92ryOpAJpoby99l2k-UUtzqde

The floor-pan, primed.

I 'leaned' the 'hobby-stick trick' by watching a video by 'Scaled Down Customs' on YouTube.

I lave discovered a number of tricks watching the guy doing his builds.

Simple things like, decal tweezers and cotton but to position decals. I have used this trick a few times now and can say that it's a lot easier to place decals in the right place.

y4mpIeUJRZQr24_uHU-UOujLy-K7VdX3YR3I3LYX

The wheels, primed. The next stage was to paint them gloss-black, followed by gun-metal (X-10, the source of my previous blunder!)

y4mqMPSSWCDqhqSIsWIc0UV60QXwJJig4k22gSi1

That's the cock-pit complete, apart from the dash-board. That comes later.

y4m2eSoCQVfJh0iAoaQTkYSVKd95Dsucph9mj-42

Here are the wheels, finished.

I am really pleased with they way the came out. (Primed, coated in gloss-black and then gun metal)

Well, that's where I am with this one. More soon.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,.

Alan.

Edited by Alan R
  • Like 1

Hi All,

Just a couple of update photos:

y4mGVeiLypXU4ZL3b39__JpA9L6LLAIfl_GoEm27

The chassis and bulkhead primed ready for the colour.

y4mZZZ9jCaaZl63cLV8VQPfA0-_rkHO1TzPHDc9K

The body shell primed.

y4mn81BaR5LxM85QkSCnXacQwrcNDFB1A8uJYoo2

The steering wheel and some anonymous electronics cabinet

More to come soon, I hope.

Cheers,

Alan.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, galaxyg said:

I guess you've resurrected a few long-time builds.

Yup! I am a serial starter. Every now and then, I move a couple on.

I'm trying to clear the decks a bit. I have completed two last month, just haven't posted them in the RFI yet, as I don't have a photogenic spot to pose them in...

Cheers,

Alan

• 4 months later...

Morning all,

Only five months for this one!

I made some good progress on this until the winter/kitchen upgrade got in the way!

I managed to get the underside painted semi-gloss black, using Zero paints Semi-gloss Black:

y4mwfFOTUzmrUa0s_PzHtjUpm8hcmzsjJIXOx9b_

y4mlgtGmWEcwf8dii2WKw3KU0JyDIw02rEZzAht8

They haven't turned out too bad. Still, lots of detailing to do to these (If they weren't in the loft!)

I sprayed the body with some Zero Paints "Ingot Silver" left over from my Ford GT build.

y4mJqkYWCWOxw6AdWL6PSnFX40t2FJJIxE81eXx-

y4mB-CQQ_lXqA6jZhUHuioOoYOxdrVPEipninGxt

There's a small mark from overzealous sanding prior to putting the silver on, but it's not as obvious as the camera makes it out to be! (That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it!)

y4mk-iCw2PbvuckJ5FIccFII88BTniIJ7ucPk00Y

The camera can be harsh. On this picture, you can see a definite demarcation between the body and the air-scoop that's not visible to the naked eye, and this wasn't yet washed after some sanding/polishing the paint.

y4meZPJytytghsWeUZnbPiLK2V8XFDmMqNiGO0BR

There was a definite seam line here that I managed to completely eradicate. Well chuffed. Silver is a bit of a problem for highlighting tiny finish issues!

y4mZgOOqA6ldlvNlEMNJXEqIOYzA0L1Myxza9skS

I remember now that after the first coat of silver, there were a number of finish issues, so I sanded it back where necessary and then re-applied another couple of coats of Ingot Silver.

Then, I started the decalling progress. As with the XJR-9 the decals had become somewhat brittle. Fortunately, I had two sets on one of the decal sheets, so I was able to pick the best decals from each sheet.

I also covered some of the more fragile ones with decal film.

y4mBfsLNua98f8lchQcQCzFUJBJVHFlKspkVJ38n

y4m5PYFVzQNvB1GH8PVTRnLKpIhBB1kUUfOJv8cN

y4mvkpaZGbFgyj9zSJeMjgcgl0DrUiU2a46Mglbe

y4mWbJrD5rI2Zs8R3uqHCoZqqom3wnpf9lp4IOEB

y4mWMMVrurRNuAj8YC4S3lebGiqReVuhvZd7Kq0U

I used a combination of MicroSet/MicroSol and a hot hairdryer to settle the decals down. I got the idea from the "Scale Modeling Channel" YouTube channel.

You just have to be a bit careful not to keep the heat on any particular area for too long. I never dwelt on any area for more than a few seconds at a time.

The decals certainly settled well, conforming to the surface well.

The next stage is gloss coating the body to seal the decals in.

More soon (I hope).

Cheers,

Alan.

• Like 5