SU-122 Russian Tank Destroyer

Jb65rams

My entry for this group build will be Tamiya's 1/35 SU-122 Russian Tank Destoyer. One of Tamiya's classic golden oldies originally release in 1976/77. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

A simple kit, so hoping for a quick build. Just to add a bit of interest I am planning to a couple of tank riders.

spacer.png

• Like 5

Hi JB. Great to see you are building the older, bigger version of mine! It will be interesting to see the similarities (or differences!).

Kind regards,

Stix

Not off to the best of starts, sometime between taking the photo for the opening post and starting today, I managed to snap the front of the upper body shell off. No idea how it happened.

spacer.png

To solve the issue I attached the broken bit to the frontal armour part and when that was dry attached it to the body shell. Taped in position while I glue it on place and reinforced the internal joint with scrap sprue.

spacer.png  

spacer.png

9 hours ago, Jb65rams said:

Not off to the best of starts, sometime between taking the photo for the opening post and starting today, I managed to snap the front of the upper body shell off. No idea how it happened.

You've been looking at some of my GB disasters haven't you? ;)  I'm an expert at that sort of thing. Nice repair work though.

Well it looks like you have got it sorted okay - but, to be fair to you - that does look like a bit of poor design on Tamiya's part. There wasn't that much on either side linking that front section with the rest! Hopefully that's the only issue you have! 🤞

Kind regards,

Stix

That is a good recovery there JB - not sure, but it looks from the photos as if that break was on a join line?

Good luck with the rest of your build, I hope that was the only disaster to befall your kit.

• 2 weeks later...

Its been a week since I last posted, but progress has continued.

First up I had to fill the gap between the bottom of the hull.

spacer.png

This was achieved by using a couple of strips of thin plasticard.

spacer.png

Proceeded to complete the main hull.

spacer.png

At this point I decided to break out the tank riders and try them out. 

spacer.png

Next the tank was given a coat of black primer. The observant will have noticed there has been no mention of the wheels yet. These were also give a coat of primer whilst still on the sprue. As they are fixed using rubber caps, they will only be installed after painting.

spacer.png

Now the fun part start, the camouflage. I used Vallejo Russian Green. 

spacer.png

The 'rubber band' tracks where fitted and bits of coffee stirrer where used to hold the tracks in position whilst the glue dried, in and attempt to get them sit on the top of the road wheels. 

spacer.png

Before I knew it I had an almost finished tank destroyer on my hands. Just the fuel drums, tanks riders and crew to finish.

spacer.png

This is the third Tamiya armoured kit of this vintage I have made in the last year or so, I really enjoy them, they got together quickly. I think I prefer the simple approach to some of the new all sing all dancing kits I have made.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the nice comments. It was a really enjoyable build.

I have moved on the Miniart tank riders, lets just say less enjoyable. Don't really know why, i did figures for my 'built as a kid GB' and really enjoyed the process, but these for some reason I found hardwork. Really had to force myself to finish them,.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Calling this one done. Will take some better photos later in the week.

• Like 5

Hi JB. Well done on getting it finished! Shame about the problems with the figures. Looking forward to seeing the final photos.

Kind regards,

Stix