Airfix Vampire 1/72 - hairy stick build

A few weeks ago I finished this build. I painted this entirely by brush other than primer, which I don't usually do but I felt like trying something else for a change. It's not my best work but it's good enough.

I forgot to post it up on here as I've been mainly putting my models in Instagram lately, but here it is:

f13e3b2294c3341f82d71fcb6152913b.jpg

a83bd56a40dccf16406c8355b535c774.jpg

ad5553d227e85bbc8d50696641696a11.jpg

09fce4c713401bec3b4726f600d1a618.jpg

30972fe1a4992767e6b5c202b2a9b68b.jpg

WIP thread above

• Like 29

Just now, alhenderson said:

She looks lovely - top job!  Got to wonder who in the RAF painting department decided on all those orange stripes!

Or who at Airfix decided that scheme was a good idea with lacklustre decals.....

24 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

I really like that build and your brush work is first rate.

thank you

• Like 1

Gotta love a Vampire and yours is excellent. Great brush work 👍

38 minutes ago, alhenderson said:

She looks lovely - top job!  Got to wonder who in the RAF painting department decided on all those orange stripes!

I'm pretty sure they were self adhesive strips rather than paint...but it must have been a nightmare to apply! 

Edited by binbrook87
  • Like 1

Great work, Adam

I'm not a jet man, but can really appreciate your brush painting skills which are top notch.

Regards

Dave (another hairy stick user)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lewis95 said:

Fantastic looking Vampire bud. 

I won't pretend to like the day glo scheme (Seriously, that orange is a bit... Out there) but you've done an absolutely cracking job of it! 

haha well I only did it because it's.... different. Definitely an odd scheme, I'm going to have to build another just to have a normal looking one, and probably a single seater

On 11/06/2020 at 09:31, jackroadkill said:

That's really cool - I love a Vampire.  Have you seen the footage of the Vamp ripping up the runway at Halfpenny Green airfield?

yes interesting incident, watched that footage many times

• Like 1

On 10/06/2020 at 21:35, binbrook87 said:

I'm pretty sure they were self adhesive strips rather than paint

When I was thirteen my father brought a bit of orange dayglo strip home from RAF Fylingdales, he asked me to draw and cut out the silhouette of a Harrier from it, which he then stuck on the back of his Humber Sceptre car. Why he didn't choose something simpler like a Vulcan I don't know.

That is a super Vampire Adam, I am very impressed with your brush painting too.

regards, adey

• Like 2

Superb proficiently painted Vampire!

The brush painting I'm impressed with, but those Airfix fluorescent decals must have been a nightmare to conform to the leading edges and the nose. You've done well with them. I hope they weren't as bad as the ones in the Jet Provost kit!

Martin