Matchbox F4U-4 Corsair

Hi guys,

I will be building the Matchbox 1/72 F4U-4 Corsair. It is a easy kit to do from my Matchbox stash. I will also place this one in the F4U Corsair GB.

Here are some pictures of the box art and content.

IMG_5014

IMG_5015

And I have made a start right away by glueing the first four parts to each other.

I already painted the inside green and the engine black, so I can later drybrush it.

IMG_5016

That is it for now.

Cheers,

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Dansk said:

Welcome Arnold, super another motchbox build 🤗

will you do it like the box art scheme or are the decals toast?

Thanks,

I will do the other scheme in the box. Also a Marines scheme.

Cheers,

Guys, 

Here is a update of the build. As you can now clearly see it is a Matchbox kit with the two different colours of plastic.

IMG_5023 IMG_5024

I have also placed the canopy and next time it will be time to start painting.

Cheers,

• Like 8

Don’t you just love those old multi coloured MB kits.

I think the oil coolers alone on my 1/32 in the corsair GB has more parts and takes longer than this whole kit. Love the clever simplicity of old kits.

Looking great Arnie.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, modelling minion said:

That has come together very quickly Arnie, and she looks good too.

Is it me or have Matchbox gut three ejector chute holes under each wing even though she is armed with 2 cannons per wing?

yes you are right. I hadn't noticed it.:banghead:

maybee it was intended to make a earlier version as well.

Cheers

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, I have done some more work on it. It is painted dark blue (by hand) and given a klear coat.

IMG_5029

Than I put on the decals.

IMG_5032

Even after 47 years did they went on smoothly. 

They aren't as good as todays decals, but they are old.

I have now given it another coat of Klear to seal the decals in.

That is it for now.

Cheers,

• Like 12

16 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Amazing with the decals eh? Its looking super and steaming along.

yes Paul, they are quite amazing. I had halve expected that they would disintergrate when they hit the water. That is why I first did the Star and bar on the underside. If it didn't work I would have some spare. But everything went smoothly.

Cheers,

Looking good but I am a bit puzzled. The box art shows 6 mg, the instructions say 6 x 50 cal, and there are ejection holes for cartridges from 6 mg, and yet Matchbox then provided what appear to be 4 barrels which are a bit big for 50cal. According to Detail and Scale the F4U-4 had 6 x 50 cal and the F4U-4B had 4 x 20mm - though they are not always correct, or so I have been told. Perhaps Matchbox were as confused as I am! Either that or they are somewhat oversized 50cal barrels and the third one in each set is meant to be recessed in the wing as in the Hellcat?

Pete

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arniec said:

yes Paul, they are quite amazing. I had halve expected that they would disintergrate when they hit the water. That is why I first did the Star and bar on the underside. If it didn't work I would have some spare. But everything went smoothly.

Cheers,

I built the Matchbox Zero in the Matchbox GB a couple of years ago. It was a very early issue in a lid and tray box rather than the later end openers so it was at least 40 years old.

I was a bit suspicious about the decals and had some spares from the new Airfix kit, but they performed absolutely flawlessly. I even got the red band around the fuselage. 

That's pretty impressive. 

John 

• Like 1

Pete, I think they went for the 4B version with the 20 mm guns, but they left the rest of the wing unchanged.

Maybee I should have cutted the 20 mm guns of and just made three holes each side for the .50's. That would be the easiest thing to do.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 1