Phantom FGR.2 - 19 Squadron, RAF Wildenrath, 1981

Excellent FGR.2! I love the air superiority camouflage which was very popular with all Western air forces at that time.

Wildenrath Phantoms have a special meaning for me since 19 and 92 Squadrons were the primary air policing units in our sector when I was an air defence controller in the German Air Force. It is more than likely that your model was under my supervision a few times in 1981/82 for intercept practice or Dissimilar Air Combat Training with the Harriers from Gütersloh.

Thanks for reviving such nice memories.

Michael

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Extraordinary model. I'm especially impressed with the probe covers and the remove-before-flight streamers. They look to be to scale and add a real life quality to the model. I rarely see those on a model and they're definitely eye catching.

• Thanks 1

Great model of a great subject. I had a chuckle when I saw the different colouring on one of the drop tanks. It reminded me of a rather a£$7 SEngO who, upon arrival on the Squadron at Leuchars hit the roof when he spotted that aircraft were similarly kitted out and, regardless of all of the other priorities, directed that all of the drop tanks should be of a uniform colour to match the recently re-delivered aircraft that had returned from a major with the new colour scheme. 

Anyway, well done, Sir - GREAT result !   

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Scimitar F1 said:

Really good modelling - great to see another F-4.

Quick question - where did you get the covers for the AoA sensor etc

Thanks very much. The covers were made from plastic card.

That is a superb Phantom. Lovely weathering. Undercarriage ground locks too, you seem to have intimate knowledge of the beast.

1 hour ago, PLC1966 said:

XV430 was Alpha during my (and #PhonePhixer) time on the Sqn

Certainly was. Including thee time it had a close call with a Canberra T17 and came back minus the nav, rear seat and canopy!!!!!!

10 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

That is a superb Phantom. Lovely weathering. Undercarriage ground locks too, you seem to have intimate knowledge of the beast.

Certainly was. Including thee time it had a close call with a Canberra T17 and came back minus the nav, rear seat and canopy!!!!!!

Didn't realise that was XV430. I think it was seven rear canopies before we could get one to fit correctly.

• Like 1

Beautiful paintwork and weathering :) I have the Revell boxing close to the top of the stash and will be looking back at this for inspiration, if mine comes out half as good I'll be very happy - great work!

Cheers, Stu

• Thanks 1