IDF M1 Super Sherman.

11 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

%$*!! ?+**&%$!!!. Just thought that I'd get the bad language out of the way first. A few minutes ago, I sat down at my desk, got out the scissors and sharp knife, Microset and Mocrosol, a small dish of water and.............. the decals. aaaAAAAGGGHHHHH!!! They're 1/35th scale!!! After all of the waiting, sending emails, only for them to be ignored and then, after three months, to finally get them, only to discover that they are no good. Hence the bad language. Email sent to Peddinghaus, but not holding out any hope after the time it took in the first place. But at least I payed with Paypal. If I get no joy, then I shall start a grievance procedure, or whatever you call it.

Oh no John....what a shame after all that waiting..... From what i understand they do have a good reputation so i'm sure they will sort it out for you, are the markings difficult to replicate ..reason i ask is that you seem pretty good at hand painting them .......is that a possibility...that said you have paid for them so a short delay to get the model the way you want is always worth it.

Best of luck......it will work out i'm certain

Steve

12 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Well, that sounds irritating....

Wish I had a useful suggestion for you John but 1/48 is ... small, real small, you've no wingy thing decals you can cannibalise?

Good luck, hope you get it sorted asap.

Darryl 

11 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

That must be sooo frustrating. Are the markings particularly complex or are they something that could be made up from generic sets? 

8 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Oh no John....what a shame after all that waiting..... From what i understand they do have a good reputation so i'm sure they will sort it out for you, are the markings difficult to replicate ..reason i ask is that you seem pretty good at hand painting them .......is that a possibility...that said you have paid for them so a short delay to get the model the way you want is always worth it.

Best of luck......it will work out i'm certain

Steve

The tank that I had in mind shouldn't prove to be a problem to replicate. Either cut out masks and spray the markings or use white decal. 

8c2f42d7-d6a2-449e-9a72-dd141df6cfef.jpg

It's the tank's registration number and the turret number that will be the biggest problem. They don't show up well in these two profiles, but the numerals are of a fancy script, and definitely not one that I have on my various decal sheets.

06f6601e-16cf-4952-b57a-50f596eaf744.jpgacbbed41-7c0b-4dcb-a8f3-7b78cfa2fa4c.jpg

I tried Star Decals, but he wouldn't produce a one off, even though it could have gone into his catalogue. I've contacted a couple of outfits to see if they can produce them for me. It all depends on the cost. Stuart H has also given me a couple of links, so I'll try them also. Fingers crossed.

John.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

but the numerals are of a fancy script, and definitely not one that I have on my various decal sheets

No i can see how lettering that small might be a problem especially in Hebrew....not something that comes naturally to the modeler in the west i would think and more difficult again in 48th scale.....a real eye strainer:blink:......Surprised at Stars response especially as Israeli armour is enjoying a bit of a renaissance at the moment...25-30 years ago if you wanted Israeli armour you had to scratch it or at the very least it was gonna be a heavy conversion from an aftermarket resin kit

Edited by M3talpig

1 hour ago, M3talpig said:

Surprised at Stars response 

Yes, so was I. I thought that he would do the same as Peddinghaus and produce a sheet for me and then add it to his catalogue. That way, he get's his money back.

John.

• Like 1

On 25/08/2020 at 17:46, PlaStix said:

Hi John. Hope you are well. Great to see another one of your beautifully detailed 1/48 Armour kits in progress.

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix, and sorry for the delay in replying. All well here, as I hope is the case with you and yours. Thanks for the comment.

Nothing much to report on this build at the moment, due to lack of decals. But that could change soon. After contacting Peddinghaus, I received an email saying that they should be available soon. Whether they are correct this time, only time will tell. Fingers crossed.

John.🤞

So there I was, keeping an eye on the wife, while she knocked up half a ton of concrete by hand (I won’t let her use the mixer cos it keeps me awake), and making sure that she got the mix correct. The noise of the mixer stops me from concentrating and trying to decide what model to build next. All of a sudden, the post van turned up outside, so I thought, she deserves a rest, so I told her to go and fetch the mail, and would you believe it, my problem was solved. The correct decals had finally arrived from Peddinghaus, in the correct scale and with the missing registration numbers. I was so pleased that I told the wife to take the rest of the day off. Well it was 6pm.

Any road up, enough waffling. The decals look really good (let’s see if I can beggar them up), especially the registration numbers. They have reproduced really clear, even the smaller turret serial number. The only thing that isn’t on the sheet is the stripe running around the turret. So therefore, I wanted to get that done before adding the decals so that it would all line up. I have to say that this was one of the most difficult bits of masking that I’ve done in a long while.

d8e02083-9f24-4006-91a3-5f5df9aa53f6.JPG

Once that was painted on, I added the decals. Everything is from the Peddinghaus sheet, except for the small squares on the rear and front RH side, which I cut from and old Microscale white sheet.

Just a brief explanation of the markings. The turret is marked with a white 6 and the Hebrew letter Alef (that isn’t a large N). The markings on the hull side indicate that it belongs to N company (Hebrew letter Nun).

caef0018-bbba-41cb-abba-7a90c0f8bb46.JPG

Now it can be seen why it would have been nigh on impossible to reproduce those letters.

The decals weren’t the easiest ones to apply. The carrier film that Peddinghaus use is a strange material with an elastic quality. Once applied, they don’t take kindly to being moved around, hence there are some air bubbles in some places. I hope that with the weathering and the final coat of flat varnish, they won’t be quite so obvious.

I was reasonably happy with the outcome. The seepage from the painted white stripe will be sorted once the matt coat goes on.

4ceea353-014a-4761-9463-8988eade062e.JPG

Just some touching in to do in a couple of places, and to extend the white stripe on the RHS of the turret, towards the mantlet, and then I can seal it all in with another coat of gloss varnish, ready for some weathering.

Now, just got to go and check that the wife hasn't fallen into the concrete. I don't know what I will do if she has. Probably have a pizza.

John.

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

So there I was, keeping an eye on the wife, while she knocked up half a ton of concrete by hand (I won’t let her use the mixer cos it keeps me awake), and making sure that she got the mix correct.

Oh i can't stop laughing :cwl::cwl:

The correct decals had finally arrived from Peddinghaus,

see i told ya ........ :coolio:

Now, just got to go and check that the wife hasn't fallen into the concrete. I don't know what I will do if she has. Probably have a pizza.

I would go with curry......less fattening John (just incase the worst has happened and she ruined the concrete by falling into it) you at least can go on the dating sites and find a replacement :thumbsup:

• Haha 3

Ha Ha. If she's good at mixing concrete maybe you could do a Sherman with concrete armour as your next project!

Looks really good and pleased the decals came. Thanks for the Hebrew lesson too!

I totally get what you're saying about the carrier film....I've used a decal of theirs before and found there was a real step from the carrier film down to the surrounding paintwork. It's not so much its thick just a strange material. I really struggled to get it to blend in. I'll be interested to see how yours turn out as I'm hoping to use one on my T-70. Not sure if building up the surrounding paintwork with layers of gloss varnish would work??

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

So there I was, keeping an eye on the wife, while she knocked up half a ton of concrete by hand (I won’t let her use the mixer cos it keeps me awake), and making sure that she got the mix correct. The noise of the mixer stops me from concentrating and trying to decide what model to build next. All of a sudden, the post van turned up outside, so I thought, she deserves a rest, so I told her to go and fetch the mail, and would you believe it, my problem was solved. The correct decals had finally arrived from Peddinghaus, in the correct scale and with the missing registration numbers. I was so pleased that I told the wife to take the rest of the day off. Well it was 6pm.

You're a real old fashioned Gent aren't you John, whenever I listen to Paul Temple on the wireless it always puts me in mind of your good self...

But really, take the rest of the day off.... the empire wasn't built by knocking off at 6 John.

All I'll say is "give them an inch and they'll take a mile..."

(Pointed that out to the present Mrs JD, surprising how accommodating the sanctuary of A+E can be.....)

Did someone mention Indian,  if so wait for me I'll get an order together...

1 hour ago, M3talpig said:

go on the dating sites and find a replacement :thumbsup:

Quick heads up, really really make sure you do need a replacement before going for a dating site.....its an uncomfortable conversation otherwise and can sting a bit ....

Not to mention the money spent on double Christmas, birthday, anniversary, etc pressies is money that could go towards cultivating the stash. Just saying...

On a more mundane note, if the carrier film is thick and recalcitrant could it not be trimmed back to the marking itself?

Done that before to eliminate silvering in the days of wingy-things.

O -yeah, almost forgot, great modelling too!

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Oh i can't stop laughing 

She never even started. No sense of humour. Just because I told her that she'd missed a bit. What she told me to do is physically impossible (and rude)!!

John.

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, StuartH said:

I totally get what you're saying about the carrier film

15 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

On a more mundane note, if the carrier film is thick and recalcitrant could it not be trimmed back to the marking itself?

Thanks for the comments. With Peddinghaus decals, you have to trim the film back to the decal as all of the markings are one one film. Yeah, one of those! And you're right Stuart. The edge is very prominent. I've given it another coat of gloss, so hopefully, it will eliminate it to some degree. Only time (and weathering) will tell. Photos in Dr. Robert's book show that these tanks were covered in dust, so I'll be laying it on.

John.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Progress is slow, as I’m spending most of my time, outside, rebuilding one of our barns. I’m also converting another barn into a new hobby room, but that’s another story.

So what little that I have achieved is as follows. I tidied up the stripe around the turret. All of the (many) road wheels and return rollers have been painted and assembled. They still need some weathering.

90be4851-fc19-46ec-a888-c635ba445e4f.JPG

The handles of the stretcher and the wooden parts of the pioneer tools have been painted with oil paint.

a050b26c-08fd-4b77-93d8-4b91afac51b7.JPG

c544ed52-a018-494b-b670-a7d3201df141.JPG

I started to do a little bit of shading on the turret roof, and will be returning to that at a later time.

e3ce6fc7-5f45-48a3-afda-dfcf9d60690d.JPG

So there you have it. The Hobbyboss Easy 8 kit arrived today, so I now have a set of tracks to finish it with. I need to add some stowage and finish off the weathering and then it will be just about done.

Thanks for looking.

John.

• Like 13

Stunning work John ...(like i need to tell you that) all looking very clean and tidy with some very nice additions to bring a well thought out build to life.

:goodjob:

Just an observation ......have you thought perhaps of using a little white to pick up the decals slightly as they do look a little opaque next to the white line...shaky hands permitting of course :D

Edited by M3talpig
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Progress is slow, as I’m spending most of my time, outside, rebuilding one of our barns.

I meant to ask actually how was the consistency of the concrete the good wife mixed up......hope she didn't get to many blisters from the mixing process. :cwl:

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Stunning work John ...(like i need to tell you that) all looking very clean and tidy with some very nice additions to bring a well thought out build to life.

:goodjob:

Just an observation ......have you thought perhaps of using a little white to pick up the decals slightly as they do look a little opaque next to the white line...shaky hands permitting of course :D

Thanks Steve. Yes, you're right. The decals are a lot more transparent and look slightly insipid, compared to the stripe. I've already tried painting over in one place, and it worked. I've just got to make sure that my hand is steady.

John.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, M3talpig said:

I meant to ask actually how was the consistency of the concrete the good wife mixed up......hope she didn't get to many blisters from the mixing process. :cwl:

Oh, it was fine, but she didn't think much of my suggestion that the best way to tell if it was OK, was for her to climb into the concrete and wait two hours before trying to climb out again. No sense of humour!!!

John.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Bullbasket said:

Oh, it was fine, but she didn't think much of my suggestion that the best way to tell if it was OK, was for her to climb into the concrete and wait two hours before trying to climb out again. No sense of humour!!!

Well i was gonna suggest the concrete wellys if she messed it up but it seems you already thought of it    great minds and all that :cwl:

• Haha 1

Sherman's looking the part now John, I'd be more tha happy with that level of detail and finesse in 1/35 never mind 1/48!

Great work, as we've come to expect....

Now if you'll stop messing around with stone and mortar and get some real work done you could get this finished...

Cheers

Darryl 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Sherman's looking the part now John, I'd be more tha happy with that level of detail and finesse in 1/35 never mind 1/48!

Great work, as we've come to expect....

Now if you'll stop messing around with stone and mortar and get some real work done you could get this finished...

Cheers

Darryl 

Thanks Darryl. I appreciate your comments. I'm afraid that the "messing around with stone and mortar" will continue for some time yet, but hopefully, it will be worth it in the end. I'll still have time on Sundays to get a little time at the modelling desk, so I'm hoping o get this finished soon.

John.

• Like 1