Spitfire Mk.VIII USAAF -308Th FS, 31st FG Italy - Eduard 1/48

Hi all,

I would like to build this USAAF Spitfire Mk. VIII, which operated in close support of the allied ground forces in Italy (1944-1945) with the 31st fighting group.

Spitfire-LFVIII-USAAF-31FG308FS-HLR-JF47

As usual a quick look inside the box:

49985170306_4d14739a06_b.jpg

49985170271_43ace22a07_c.jpg

49985170216_39c3b13342_c.jpg

49985170191_35dd181f63_c.jpg

49985170181_3fe14ef469_c.jpg

49985427222_555b43c434_c.jpg

Paint scheme:

49985427322_f5f6cd0edc_b.jpg

I need help for the correct choice about the cockpit color, have I to use the Gray-Green (Mr. color C364), or the USAF interior was paint with another color?

Thanks in advance for the info

• Like 4

G'day Rod,if you darken  drop of Sky with a tiny drop of dark green you won't be far off.Supermarine used what was described as an "apple green" in the cockpit area and footwell ahead of the rudder pedals.The rest of the interior was painted aluminium from behind the seat mounting frame aft.As Graham wrote,US colors weren't used on UK built aircraft during manufacture.

On 6/10/2020 at 4:18 PM, Graham Boak said:

These aircraft were delivered out of standard RAF stocks, so would have had standard RAF colours.  I don't know of any UK-built aircraft that would have used US paints on the interior.

18 hours ago, Alex Gordon said:

G'day Rod,if you darken  drop of Sky with a tiny drop of dark green you won't be far off.Supermarine used what was described as an "apple green" in the cockpit area and footwell ahead of the rudder pedals.The rest of the interior was painted aluminium from behind the seat mounting frame aft.As Graham wrote,US colors weren't used on UK built aircraft during manufacture.

Alex and Graham, thanks for the info, ...

Then mixing 2:1 Tamiya XF-19 Sky Grey and Gunze H320 Dark Green, can result an acceptable "Apple green"?

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Looking very nice indeed.

I hadn't realised this was MSG uppers and Azure Blue undersides... I looked at this scheme and passed it by as I assumed it was aluminium... I wish I hadn't now, it looks a really pretty scheme.

I am really looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Clipped wing Spitfires look really fast!

Great finish! The surface detail really stands out.

I really like the high altitude scheme on a Spitfire - it’s unusual enough to see it anyway, but adding stars and bars really makes it stand out in a world of roundels, greens and greys!  

I agree with everyone else... it looks absolutely stunning. I think thats one of the prettiest of all Spitfires.

(I think I am going to build one as well... As I think I said before, I passed it by thinking it was a silver Spitfire... I should have paid more attention when I went through the Eduard kit working out which options I would go for)