1/72 Revell JU-88 A-1?

Brit Bunkley

Any word on the Revell 1/72 JU-88 A-1 announced earlier this year? I noticed on the Revell web site that it is available for order, but no mention if pre-order, or immediatly available. It was on the Cyberhobby kit release schedule, but now it isn't. What gives?

On 6/10/2020 at 9:01 PM, JWM said:

In Poland not available yet... :(

Regards

J-W

I was wrong, I have just paid for one in an Internet shop, should arrive next week! :)

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

I have on this week paid Revell service dept for three sets of A-4 sprues C and D containing the longer wing tips and ailerons :whistle:

Interesting, I did not known that they such service that you can buy pieces (single frames) of a kit!

Regards

J-W

21 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

I have on this week paid Revell service dept for three sets of A-4 sprues C and D containing the longer wing tips and ailerons :whistle:

This is interesting to me because I'd like to make an A-5/11/14...

...do tell us more!

14 minutes ago, Wez said:

This is interesting to me because I'd like to make an A-5/11/14...

A-5 - OK, but regarding A-14 - I think it is more close to A4 then to A-1, am I right?

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JWM said:

A-5 - OK, but regarding A-14 - I think it is more close to A4 then to A-1, am I right?

Regards

J-W

No, the whole A-14 designation is a bit of a minefield (or at least it was when I was really into Ju-88s), there are sub-variants with the earlier Jumo-211 (like the A-1), and sub-variants with the later Jumo-211 (like the A-4), these both had the A-14 designation.  This may have changed since I last looked into it but it is quite bewildering.  I have some Tally-Ho of Canada (the original Tally-Ho decals), that I'd like to use up for Mediterranian Jumo-211 engined A-14.

• Like 1

Damn, their customer service is down for maintenance this weekend so I can't show you how. But it's a web portal

https://www.revell-service.de/en/

and what you need are in sprues C and D from their kit #04672 (Ju 88 A-4) or #04856 (C-6).

Indeed A-14 is very close to a regular A-4 with a MG-FF mounted in the nose. A-11is a factory built tropical version of A-4. Building either of these is not a kitbash of A-1 and A-4 kits. Only A-5 and A-5(f) or D-2 reconnaissance variants (+their tropical near twins) benefits from these parts. Then of course we can also mix C-6 and A-1 kits to build C-2/4 earlier heavy fighter variants. Will try that too.

ICM 1:48 kit instructions are available for viewing at Scalemates. They can be of great help when modifying these Revell kits. Mind you, though, that they have their inaccuracies too.

V-P

• Like 1

Besides differences in engines the A1 has some different fin I think and singls MGs in rear of canopy, not telling about the lack of  airbreaks. I am not much deeply in the Ju88 project currently, but I have four Ju88s in stash (Revell A4, Zvezda A5 & G6, AMTech S1/T1). plus 188 (Itealeri) and 388J (MPM/SH), and A-1 is now comming. I want to do a series build this year so I will go through all differeces anyway...

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

Early A-5 in 1:72 looks like an A-1 only with larger wingspan; late A-5 looks like an A-4 only with round lower cowlings and unkinked rudder. That's a very crude generalization but very close to truth.

10 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Early A-5 in 1:72 looks like an A-1 only with larger wingspan; late A-5 looks like an A-4 only with round lower cowlings and unkinked rudder. That's a very crude generalization but very close to truth.

True and then there's A-11, A-14 and even A-17 variants, I'll dig out my Tally-Ho decals tomorrow.

A-11 = factory built A-4 tropical version, no external differences to an A-4

A-14 = A-4 and only A-4 with MG-FF in nose of ventral gondola, some A-5:s had the same gun but were still A-5:s

A-17 = externally A-4 some w/o ventral gondola, some not (or those are mislabeled A-4 LT (lufttorpedo conversions)) bulged housing for torpedo controls on starboard side below canopy; deeper external racks for torpedoes. 

Anyhoo, they all definitely look like A-4 subvariants.

12 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

A-11 = factory built A-4 tropical version, no external differences to an A-4

A-14 = A-4 and only A-4 with MG-FF in nose of ventral gondola, some A-5:s had the same gun but were still A-5:s

A-17 = externally A-4 some w/o ventral gondola, some not (or those are mislabeled A-4 LT (lufttorpedo conversions)) bulged housing for torpedo controls on starboard side below canopy; deeper external racks for torpedoes. 

Anyhoo, they all definitely look like A-4 subvariants.

Thanks for that.

I went for a search of the source of my confusion.  I have to hold my hands up as it's been many a long year since I've looked at Ju-88's in depth.

The source of my confusion stems from a Tally-Ho of Canada decal sheet from way back in the day, 7204 - Junkers Ju-88A-4/A-5 Africa and Mediterranean, this includes options for an A-10 and a D-4 both based on the A-5 would appear.

I also have the old AJ Press Monografie Lotnicze #4 which has a break down of the various sub-types and what they were based on, my difficulty with this publication is I don't read Polish, I can look at pictures and try and pick out the major highlights from the text, from this I think, using the earlier Jumo-211 engines and propellors with the longer wingspan you can get the following versions:

A-5, A-10, D-4(?) and D-5.

It just goes to show, you shouldn't rely on memory.

On 6/13/2020 at 11:09 AM, Wez said:

I also have the old AJ Press Monografie Lotnicze #4 which has a break down of the various sub-types and what they were based on, my difficulty with this publication is I don't read Polish, I can look at pictures and try and pick out the major highlights from the text, from this I think, using the earlier Jumo-211 engines and propellors with the longer wingspan you can get the following versions:

I do read Polish, so if you photo piece of text I can translate for you :). Maybe not whole book :lol:

Regards

J-W

P.S. 

Mine A-1 just arrived! Not unpacked yet!

Edited by JWM
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/13/2020 at 11:09 AM, Wez said:

I also have the old AJ Press Monografie Lotnicze #4 which has a break down of the various sub-types and what they were based on, my difficulty with this publication is I don't read Polish,

It is even more easy, I have checked and I have this book! So please do not hastitate and ask what you want to get from Polish text there... :)

Regards

J-W

• Like 1