Sukhoi Su-17 Type R (1949)

It's finished - but I'm not happy with it.....

It was a struggle all the way through - but I finally beat it into submission..... :deadhorse:

spacer.png

Sukhoi Su-17 Type R :- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukhoi_Su-17_(1949)

spacer.png

spacer.png

The whole front fuselage section could be detached in emergencies to act as an escape capsule.....

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

As well as the undercarriage being ill-fitting and rather weak, the final indignity is that it's a tail sitter !! - so I had to make a prop from clear rod....

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

It is a welcome addition to my collection of Soviet/Russian types, so thanks A&A Models....

But it was hard work - and it 'Stole my Joy' in the end....

Ken

• Like 18

There's nothing in the final product that even suggests it was a battle. The model looks very good. And, to be honest, I use clear plastic rod on nearly all of my models to correct the tail sitting tendency. Weights inside the model can sometimes break free and they rattle around. Most annoying. Personal preference here.

I'd be happy with it Flankerman :) I'm surprised it wasn't a tail sitter in real life!

(Next time I get back to the UK it will be straight to Michael's Butchers for a breakfast then a shufti to the Smoking Dog to see if its changed - hope they survive)

You didn't mention that it never flew. I decided not to build one because of that. Just as well considering the problems that you had. Do you think A&A just don't care about their customers knowing that modellers who have an interest in Russian a/c are so keen to get their hands on such kits that they will put up with their deficiencies.

Anyway well done for producing a silk purse from a sow's ear!

John