Flyhawk 1/700 HMS Naiad

Started another one, opened the box for Flyhawk's 1/700 HMS Naiad this morning. Stage one done. Had massive problems with the wooden deck, would not separate from backing sheet. Good old Sovereign hobbies Colourcoats, dry in no time. Decided to do the 1941 scheme of dark grey hull and light grey upper. Will be chasing Jamie@Sovereignhobbies for more paint soon.spacer.png

A quick spray and we're off.

spacer.png

Unmasked and ready to start.

spacer.png

A lot of very small parts in this one.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Mick

• Like 13

7 minutes ago, OutcastJoel said:

Are those turrets the same as the secondary armourment on Prince of Wales?

Yes, they are the QF (Quick Firing) 5.25" Mark I twin mount common to the KGV class and the Dido class cruisers.

• Like 1

It's a good job the guns are the same as I managed to glue one together without lining it up correctly, so nicked one of the spares from the POW. I also managed to find the lost breakwater, though where it came from lord only knows. Another good day with Flyhawk's 1/700 HMS Naiad, but now comes the hard parts for me, Masts and photo etch.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Mick

Edited by smyfe
typo
  • Like 11

Looks lovely Mick! 

That’s the one area of the Flyhawk kits I’d change - masts. Just don’t like the plastic kit parts - they’re just not rigid enough. Not really their fault, but I really think they need to be brass...

Guy

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gisbod said:

Ps which wood deck did you use? 

Guy

Wood hunter deck, but had real problems trying to get it from the backing sheet.

On 6/10/2020 at 2:28 PM, smyfe said:

Will be chasing Jamie@Sovereignhobbies for more paint soon.

Lucky man, to have access to Sovereign Hobbies Colorcoats! They are hard to get on the European peninsula.

Doffing my hat to your excellent build!

Richard

• Like 1

Looks splendid there Mick, really do like the two tone scheme.

Know what you mean about the masts, brass rod seems to be the way forward, although I like the excuse of using the kit parts so I don't have to do the rigging...

Geoff 

• Like 1

Done with Flyhawks 1/700 HMS Naiad, still a few touch ups to do and then she goes to the queue waiting for weathering and rigging. Just a note to anyone thinking of building her, do not paint the radar before assembly, mine only had a light spray but would not fit through the holes because the tolerances are so tight. Luckily I have a couple of spare kits and they went together without trouble, without paint. I've already knocked the rear radar off twice,.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cat hairs now removed from the foremast 😹

spacer.png

Now to decide on what to start next.

• Like 9

• 1 year later...

Nice built

Does anyone know if Flyhawk ever models the Pom Pom director in this kit.

I already went through the instruction a couple of times, but did not seem to find it.