Ferrari 250 GTO (Airfix 1:24)

On 7/6/2020 at 10:07 PM, roymattblack said:

The best colour match for older Ferrari's is Mini chilli red - Halfords rattle-can

Attracted by the magic word Ferrari I find gold! Been struggling with this colour for a very long time (I don't see red well). Not any more!

The newer colour is just different enough so I can spot it a mile away, I have had several show conversations with people who insist the colour never changed.

• 2 weeks later...

Activity is a little slow lately as I've been making the most of the weather and spending a lot of time outside. However, I painted the nose this morning and I'm looking to get some of the interior done later :fingerscrossed:

2jpFoiA%5D

• Like 7

Quite productive day today!! I built most of the interior, painted the glass lights and prepped the smaller parts for paint. I also spotted another problem with the kit so I'm looking for some advice please.

One the the front glass pieces has a bubble in it. I was thinking about using a micro drill from behind before giving it the 'Klear' treatment in the hope it fills and hides the bubble. However, I'm concerned it may make things worse and draw more attention to it and that maybe I should leave it alone as the lesser of two evils. Any thoughts?? 🥺

2jpK5U3%5D

2jpK5QR%5D

• Like 2

I think if it was me I'd leave it alone. Unless you have something with the same refractive index it will always be visible. As you say, drilling an access hole to fill it is likely to make it even more visible - for me the risk vs. reward of attacking this is firmly in the camp of putting up with it as it is. Chances are the only people who will notice it as it is are yourself and anyone you point it out to (unless you're planning on adding LEDs behind it).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

I'd use it to make a simple plunge-mould cover. It'll be much more to scale and clear as a bell too. Go on - you know you want to!

Nice idea; although I must admit I had to look up 'plunge moulding' :laugh:

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, wimbledon99 said:

Nice idea; although I must admit I had to look up 'plunge moulding' :laugh:

Crash moulding etc. I do it a lot. If you can make a Milliput 'male' it's easier, and for a relatively simple shape like this it's a cinch. You could get away with just a curved piece of acetate but there is a bit of a compound curve in the headlight cover and it would be noticeable if you just had a flat curve (if that makes sense!).

Incidentally, you wouldn't have to go mad with moulds, release agents, formers etc: if you made the mould out of Milliput (one mould for both sides, so extend the mould line beyond the extremities of the headlight surround), you could place it in a mildly hot oven and just let the acetate 'drape'. So no burnt fingers!

Edited by Sabrejet
  • Like 1

On 8/2/2020 at 11:18 PM, johnlambert said:

Paint and decals are looking good.  That's a nice, neat job on the nose colour.

Thanks! Took longer to mask than expected but I'm happy with the results :happy:

On 8/3/2020 at 10:31 AM, roymattblack said:

For a light cover - experiment by chopping bits out of a plastic drinks bottle.
There are umpteen compound curves to be found.
I've made light covers this way many times...

Thanks for the tip, Roy. I'll probably go with the easy option this time around and stick with what I have but it's definitely thought for future builds

On 8/3/2020 at 11:20 AM, CliffB said:

It's really coming to life now..

Cheers

Hi Cliff, Yep, I always think that whatever the build, the decals do their job so well!!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Well I'd say those headlight covers look pretty well perfect!

Thank you  :happy:  I must add though that they took way longer than expected :wink:

I honestly thought they were 'sticky back' and would be easy! However, over an an hour later and the use of Cyano and a pin; I'm happy with the result!!

• Like 1

Well, I'm calling her done. I've lots of lessons to take from this one (as always) but I'm pretty pleased with the outcome.

Thanks for the company and help along the way  :happy:  Hope you like her!!

2jv5bCz%5D

2jv6zZy%5D

2jv5bB7%5D

2jv5bBc%5D

• Like 8

All,

I've said it in the WIP but thank you for the kind words; they really are appreciated!!

Houston, your post on its own is enough for a year's worth of mojo - You are too kind :happy:

• Like 1