Ferrari 250 GTO (Airfix 1:24)

No, that's true. Red always catches the eye and it always looks good on Ferraris. I'd personally do the dark blue Equipe Endeavor car. White nose and yellow roundels or one of the Yank cars!

Dave

• Like 1

This is now on the mat and I've started with the body. There were a few very fine seams which I removed with 1500 / 2000 and I've also a first layer of filler in the front vents. I ran across a couple of small issues in that the front right post was snapped and the section below the bonnet was split right down the middle. I hadn't realised until I was keying the plastic with the 2000 but it didn't take to long to sort out. I then fitted the bonnet and rear vents. Next picture should be of the primed body in a day or so, depending how the front vents rub down.

2jcLrLu%5D

• Like 7

First coat of primer is on and drying; I've opted for the Alclad white with microfiller. The plan is to lay a few fine coats of this, move to the new Tamiya lacquer red and follow up a week later with Humbrol Gloss.

Any advice for / against this combination??

2jd2MMw%5D

• Like 2

Hi so I don't see a problem with your combination of primer and basecoat as for the humbrol gloss I can't comment as ive never used that product. For your reference the Enzo below was painted with Tamiya LP Red if that's the shade your after then go for it 🙂

spacer.png

Hope this helps 

Regards Andy 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, wimbledon99 said:

Hi Andy,

Thanks, it does indeed.

That Enzo looks gorgeous; do you use 2 part lacquer?

Yes it's zero 2k clear a perfectly safe product as long as all the necessary safety advice is followed. I'm following along your build with great interest as I've discovered the kit below in my stash and plan to build it in the future 

spacer.png

Don't remember buying this and tbh don't know much about the kit at all but it looks interesting in the box 🙂

• Like 4

8 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

First coat of primer is on and drying; I've opted for the Alclad white with microfiller. The plan is to lay a few fine coats of this, move to the new Tamiya lacquer red and follow up a week later with Humbrol Gloss.

Not aware of any problems with the combination, but I wasn't particularly impressed with Humbrol Gloss spray when I used it on the Trabi - needed quite a bit of polishing to get even a Trabant-like shine. Then again, I was spraying over a matt colour coat so I may not have given it a fair crack of the whip. Definitely worth spraying your desired paint combination onto a plastic spoon to test though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Andy J said:

Yes it's zero 2k clear a perfectly safe product as long as all the necessary safety advice is followed. I'm following along your build with great interest as I've discovered the kit below in my stash and plan to build it in the future

Don't remember buying this and tbh don't know much about the kit at all but it looks interesting in the box 🙂

I've been looking at the Zero paints and lacquers; they look rather tempting, as does that kit!!  :daydream:

1 hour ago, Spiny said:

Not aware of any problems with the combination, but I wasn't particularly impressed with Humbrol Gloss spray when I used it on the Trabi - needed quite a bit of polishing to get even a Trabant-like shine. Then again, I was spraying over a matt colour coat so I may not have given it a fair crack of the whip. Definitely worth spraying your desired paint combination onto a plastic spoon to test though.

Thanks for the info. I have the bottled  gloss that I airbrush but I've never really put in on anything too thick hence not tried to get a polished shine. I'm tempted to splash out a little on the Zero lacquer but not sure whether to go for the pre-mixed or the 2K; I've heard the latter is the best! I'm also thinking about waiting to see if the lacquer paint needs a gloss coat when applied with lacquer thinner. It might just be shiny enough.

There is another option and that's just gloss the primer :think: I don't think I've ever spent so long prepping a body; it's usually a quick acrylic coat after a wash in the sink  :laugh:  

2jd71mH%5D

• Like 3

So I'm thinking I'm rather happy with this and then under the light / magnifying glass there are small fibres that baffle me!! I can only think they've come from the spray booth! No matter, I'll rub down whilst more paint is on  order!!

2jeKRG5%5D

2jeJwgc%5D

2jeFHwG%5D

• Like 4

23 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

So I'm thinking I'm rather happy with this and then under the light / magnifying glass there are small fibres that baffle me!! I can only think they've come from the spray booth! No matter, I'll rub down whilst more paint is on  order!!

I've found the same thing with some of my spraying, no idea where they come from.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @wimbledon99

I've just received today the same kit, and for sure, I'll follow your build thoroughly.

I've noticed that this kit hasn't a complete engine.

It might be possible to scratch the top of the engine, and the content of the engine bay, will all the material we can found on the Web

Here is a link to the buildup of a similar kit (Gunze Sangyo-), with the engine. Hoping this can help: Ferrari 250 GTO 1:24 scale Gunze Sangyo kit

Cheers

CC

• Like 1

That actually looks like its eating into the plastic (if you enlarge the picture they look like tiny holes rather than fibres)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CrazyCrank said:

Hi @wimbledon99

I've just received today the same kit, and for sure, I'll follow your build thoroughly.

I've noticed that this kit hasn't a complete engine.

It might be possible to scratch the top of the engine, and the content of the engine bay, will all the material we can found on the Web

Here is a link to the buildup of a similar kit (Gunze Sangyo-), with the engine. Hoping this can help: Ferrari 250 GTO 1:24 scale Gunze Sangyo kit

Cheers

CC

Hiya, Nope, no engine! The bonnet is firmly shut on mine so I'll have to pretend there's one in there :wink:

5 minutes ago, kpnuts said:

That actually looks like its eating into the plastic (if you enlarge the picture they look like tiny holes rather than fibres)

Hi, They are definitely 'specks' of something as opposed to holes. Some rubbed out which means there in the layers of the paint. What you bay be looking at if the orange peel effect under the microscope? The new paint has arrived today so I'll see what I can do over the weekend.

Cheers

That's better!! :happy:

Setting it aside for a while now before the nose colour goes on. Talking of which; does anyone know what colour to use? It's not listed in the instructions :wonder:

2jisQ9j%5D

2jiu4rf%5D

2jipQda%5D

• Like 6

The best colour match for older Ferrari's is Mini chilli red - Halfords rattle-can. A friend of mine used to race an original 250 GTO and I scratch-built him a full detail 1/8 scale model of the car.
I researched and painted it red - then found out it was silver when he raced it... doh... Colour change needed. 

Edited by roymattblack
  • Haha 4