Ferrari 250 GTO (Airfix 1:24)

Hi All,

With my Corsair GB being on the way to completion and a couple of months to my next GB, I thought I'd start this kit (I saw it on ebay recently and couldn't resist it!). Not sure whether to go with the box art yet or just a straight 'red' without the racing numbers.

Thoughts?

2jazXc7%5D

I'm off to wash the plastic parts a strip the chrome

• Like 4

Here are the components:

Metal

2jaAPbA%5D

Plastic (the shell doesn't appear to have a single mould line!)

2jazyQn%5D

Rubber (even for wiper blades!), Etch, Glass and Springs

2jawUgV%5D

Decals

2jawUfs%5D

And some rather different instructions

2jazyKc%5D

• Like 11

This looks like it should be an interesting build.  It's good that the instructions include the possibility of needing to cut an additional vent (I bet the factory wasn't that precise when cutting the vents on the original, I'm sure someone said that they don't necessarily match each other on the real cars).  Given that the GTO only ran to 39 original examples, with lots of detail differences and modifications made throughout their lives (raced, crashed, modified, restored, etc.), I suspect it could be a minefield if you want to get it right for a particular GTO at a particular point in history.  But it looks like it should build up into a lovely model.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm starting to think that the shell I have isn't the original. It was in a bag which was labeled with a SpotModel sticker but I thought the previous owner may have just popped it in for protection. However, the shell has 3 vents and as I say, there's not a single seam line in sight; pretty sure there would have been on a Airfix kit of this age!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Schwarz-Brot said:

The decals show japanese writing. Not sure this is standard on an airfix kit? Never had one, so not someone to judge 😄 

Good point - Original moulding was Gunze Sangyo so maybe it is just that good!

55 minutes ago, wimbledon99 said:

I'm starting to think that the shell I have isn't the original. It was in a bag which was labeled with a SpotModel sticker but I thought the previous owner may have just popped it in for protection. However, the shell has 3 vents and as I say, there's not a single seam line in sight; pretty sure there would have been on a Airfix kit of this age!

The kit body was put in the SpotModel bag by me. As you thought, just for protection. Glad to see it reached you in good condition, looking forward to following the build.

Regards, Steve.

(stabkaz on eBay)

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, triumphfan said:

The kit body was put in the SpotModel bag by me. As you thought, just for protection. Glad to see it reached you in good condition, looking forward to following the build.

Regards, Steve.

(stabkaz on eBay)

Haha - Small world!!!! Hope I do it (you) justice  :worry:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Anteater said:

Interesting. Is that a pre-assembled metal chassis? How are you supposed to bond any of the plastic components to it?

If it's like other Gunze Sangyo kits, the body clip over the chassis. Otherwise CA works really well.

If you want a prototype to copy, Nick Masons GTO in one of two (?) that have 3 wing vents. Reg no. is 250 GTO, not surprisingly. The body you have looks like a late one with the faired in rear spoiler, so should suit. It does need to be RHD.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Anteater said:

Interesting. Is that a pre-assembled metal chassis? How are you supposed to bond any of the plastic components to it?

Hi, As Jo NZ says, the chassis clips into the shell and there's Cyano, Araldite or similar :smile:

11 hours ago, Jo NZ said:

If you want a prototype to copy, Nick Masons GTO in one of two (?) that have 3 wing vents. Reg no. is 250 GTO, not surprisingly. The body you have looks like a late one with the faired in rear spoiler, so should suit. It does need to be RHD.

Hi, Nothing in particular, just a decent looking end product :wink:

1 hour ago, FunkyChiken said:

This is a cool kit, good luck!

Thank you!!

5 hours ago, Pascal said:

Looks like a nice kit of an iconic Ferrari.

Mike Sheehan has some nice pics on his website : https://ferraris-online.com/cars/1962-ferrari-250-gto-3387/

Some info on the 250 GTO : https://www.topgear.com/car-news/classic/ferrari-250-gto-everything-you-need-know

Sincerely

Pascal

Wow - They look so good!! I was at Goodwood a few years ago and they had the largest gathering of these beauties ever in one place. It's amazing to see them ragged around a track like they were ten to a penny!!

3 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

I'd go for David Piper's roof-chopped car. It would really stand out from other GTOs and being green is a double bonus!

Chopped roof? I'll be glad just to make an out-of-the-box look half decent!!

• Like 1

:heart:

One of MY favorite classic  Ferraris.

Super choice for a  vehicle build.

:yahoo:

I would go with the racing numbers as I think it would look SO much more complete and HOT..  just MY thoughts; but with it without it

the racing numbers ; it will look Astounding once finished.

Good Luck.

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HOUSTON said:

:heart:

One of MY favorite classic  Ferraris.

Super choice for a  vehicle build.

:yahoo:

I would go with the racing numbers as I think it would look SO much more complete and HOT..  just MY thoughts; but with it without it

the racing numbers ; it will look Astounding once finished.

Good Luck.

:thumbsup:

Haha - Thank you!! I'm edging towards using the numbers - seems a shame to waste them :wonder:

1 hour ago, CrazyCrank said:

Hi @wimbledon99, I think you've forgotten to  show the chromed parts sprue in your first post...

I'll follow your build because I've recently purchased the same kit on eBay UK.

Hiya, Nope, it's there (but I've stripped the chrome :wink: ) Nice to have you along - Hoping to get started later this week :smile:

• Like 1

Hi W99,

The decals are for the Maranello Concessionaires car from the '63 Goodwood TT and it was driven (No. 11) by Graham Hill.

It's a good kit and for a while was reckoned to be one of the more accurate ones.

Good luck with your build.

Dave

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Fastcat said:

Hi W99,

The decals are for the Maranello Concessionaires car from the '63 Goodwood TT and it was driven (No. 11) by Graham Hill.

It's a good kit and for a while was reckoned to be one of the more accurate ones.

Good luck with your build.

Dave

Thanks Dave - I believe that car only had two vents. I might need some filler!!

• Thanks 1

Aaah! You'll need to fill them with a blanking plate and keep that filler handy. You could build the John Coombs 250 GTO of Mike Parkes (No. 12) from the same race...............................

Dave

• Like 1