This is the old but brilliant Accurate Miniatures Avenger, as reboxed by Italeri. The Italeri instructions are  just the pictures from the Accurate sheet without the helpful written instructions and the RNZAF Roundels are an appalling light blue and thus unusable.

49991186242_82e4bfa501_c.jpg

NZ2510 was one of the second batch of machines  delivered to and assembled at Hobsonville in late 1943 as part of a total of 63 machines allocated to the RNZAF, though only 48 were actually delivered diverted from  USN stocks. . Unusually they were delivered in the then standard USN Tri colour( actually four colour) scheme, but were marked in standard RAF roundels. These were standard USN machines so had none of the FAA modifications. The first machines were flown to Darton Field, Gisborne, and gratefully received by 8(GR) Squadron RNZAF, which was renumbered 30 Squadron. Given they were flying Vickers Vincents at the time these aircraft must have been a pleasant surprise and quantum leap forward.

49991187097_aa592dfc98_c.jpg                                                                                                                                                    Individual letters were supposed to be applied alphabetically, though I have only ever seen pictures of NZ2505 as E and NZ2510 as J. The Red of the roundel was over-painted at some stage and white bars added to conform more to the standard markings of the South West Pacific. Eventually the last three of the serial was  stenciled ahead of the fuselage bars and the individual letters over-painted. NZ25210 was the first RNZAF Avenger to sustain damage due to enemy action.

49991187627_f9351ee8ea_c.jpg

As these airframes were almost brand new at the time of issue and when the photographs were taken, I did little weathering , just some exhaust staining and dust/ dirt on the wheels, underside and walkways. The Roundels came from Xtradecal sheets as did the serials as the varnish on the Italeri sheet had cracked. I think I would have relaced them anyway as the kit has been in the stash over 15 years and I had trouble with even the small stencils I could save.. 

49991188392_cc2caf313a_c.jpg

As always thanks for looking.

• Like 23

Thank you all for the kind words.

Just to set the record straight NZ2510 is not a Tarpon or built to FAA requirements, as far as I know it is a standard TBF-1C from USN allocations transferred to the RNZAF. 

• Like 2

Nice to see this, I wasn't expecting a Kiwi one, though it shouldn't have come as a surprise from you. :) I think the Ventura decals have these markings too, I know I've a 1/72 one planned.

Steve.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 12:21 AM, Shark444 said:

Great job!  never actually seen as US Navy 3-tone Pacific scheme on an RN Tarpon.  Very cool.

Grumman supplied the the TBF's with painted RAF Type Roundels, which was quite different to most of the Lend Lease the

RNZAF received. Prior to departure to the forward fighting areas in the Islands, the RAF wing roundels were painted over

with the RNZAF Pacific Roundels, and fuselage Roundel had the centre Red painted out in RNZAF Pacific Roundel Blue

2 hours ago, Silver Fox said:

Just to set the record straight NZ2510 is not a Tarpon or built to FAA requirements, as far as I know it is a standard TBF-1C from USN allocations transferred to the RNZAF. 

Yes, Stock Standard Grumman TBF-1c as supplied to the USN.

Interestingly, Walley Ingham in his book "Avengers" (about his time with RNZAF 30/31 SU/Squadrons)

made mention, that some RNZAF TBF crews went to Aussie for Torpedo training with the US Navy.

Nice RNZAF Avenger by the way - quite different to the usual :)

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

Grumman supplied the the TBF's with painted RAF Type Roundels, which was quite different to most of the Lend Lease the

RNZAF received. Prior to departure to the forward fighting areas in the Islands, the RAF wing roundels were painted over

with the RNZAF Pacific Roundels, and fuselage Roundel had the centre Red painted out in RNZAF Pacific Roundel Blue

Yes, Stock Standard Grumman TBF-1c as supplied to the USN.

Interestingly, Walley Ingham in his book "Avengers" (about his time with RNZAF 30/31 SU/Squadrons)

made mention, that some RNZAF TBF crews went to Aussie for Torpedo training with the US Navy.

Nice RNZAF Avenger by the way - quite different to the usual :)

Regards

Alan

Thanks for the info.  I missed that it was a RNZAF machine.

Great job - that's a lovely model that you've built and thank you for the historical information as well! 

(I have a 1/72 Avenger to do in RNZAF markings so will be referring to this build again, and a 1/48 Accurate Miniatures TBF-IC in the Atlantic finish). 

Mike  

1 hour ago, Blackmike said:

(I have a 1/72 Avenger to do in RNZAF markings so will be referring to this build again

Just bear in mind, those marking were only worn in New Zealand for a short period after

the aircraft's arrival/assembly

When 30 Squadron prepared to fly/flew to the forward airstrips in the Pacific Islands, the aircraft

wore the RNZAF Pacific Roundel See Photo links below

RNZAF TBF-1c with RNZAF Pacific Roundel

RNZAF TBF-1c with RNZAF Pacific Roundel -1

RNZAF TBF-1c with RNZAF Pacific Roundel -2

RNZAF TBF-1c with RNZAF Pacific Roundel -3

Regards

Alan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1