Two Sea Dragons: De Havilland D.H.89s converted from the 1/72nd scale Heller kit

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

Btw which is the best 1/72 scale kit ?

Thanks, Marklo!

I think the best 1/72 kit is the one you love the most, for your own particular reasons.

Heller kits go normally for a very reasonable price, they were released and re-released endlessly. Covidtimes (re-surging of indoor activities as modeling) and browsing algorithms make them artificially expensive.

Don't buy at speculation prices, wait until the low tide. Then buy.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Moa said:

The Canadian Dragon has now also spread its red wings:

.......except that they were really medium-orange (with large black letters across the full span):

http://www.internetmodeler.com/2004/september/new-releases/decal_whiskey-rapides.php

Though probably very few people got to see them during its 1 week of service :

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/26247

7 minutes ago, Roger Holden said:

.......except that they were really medium-orange (with large black letters across the full span):

http://www.internetmodeler.com/2004/september/new-releases/decal_whiskey-rapides.php

Though probably very few people got to see them during its 1 week of service :

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/26247

Almost every time I see you posting something here, and in the past other sites, it's to point out some defect, mistake, shortcoming, inaccuracy or the like.

Hardly ever to encourage someone, to praise the work of somebody, to give fellow modelers some encouragement.

Always giving achievements a berth and centering on defects.

For a long time I did not see you posting on my threads, which made me very happy. But heck, happiness was a bit short lived.

It is not the best of attitudes in the hobby, that of speaking up almost exclusively to point fingers, avoiding praise and encouragement, policing fellow modelers.

Do me a personal favor, Roger, please, do not post any comments on my threads.

Your attitude is always so negative that invariably turns joy into sadness.

If you think I may be misguiding fellow modelers into some mistake, please open a thread of your own in the corresponding section.

And let the rest of us (or at least me) enjoy what we (I) do.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Moa, just try to ignore the nitpickers. A wise person once said 'it is more important that it looks right than that it is right', and your models not only look right, they look fabulous. When models are built to your standard of detail and neatness it is quite immaterial if they carry the 'right' shade of orangy-red instead of your choice of reddish-orange.

This is a hobby and you are not being paid for it so you are entirely free to make your own choices. The only thing that matters is if your builds give you satisfaction, and not if your models live up to someone else's view of what they ought to look like. I am absolutely certain that the number of people here who immensely enjoy your models is vastly greater than the few nitpickers who may have issues with them. Please continue to build exactly as you want, and keep on posting your work here. They are an inspiration for many of us, certainly for me even though I know I will never be able to make anything remotely like them.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I’d agree, I’m no rivet counter (although as primary engineer for repair of JT8D-200 hpc rear inner cases I was professionally one for a while :) btw depending on the customer configuration it could have up to 600 of the  damned things) , if it looks right it is right and if I’m happy that’s what counts. If it’s slightly inaccurate then it’s an homage. Afterall we’re doing this for entertainment. And as usual Moa your work is superb.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Can't agree more with the last three posts. Although we all invite productive criticism and welcome the knowledge of others , there is a way of going about it . I am always reluctant to criticize anyone's efforts and far happier to give a pat on the back to a pleasing model. The only things that glare at me are Spitfire and Javelin flaps when the aircraft is at rest . The first was my own observation and the second was advice from an ex Javelin fitter.

Stay Safe everyone and enjoy your modeling.

Keith

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Moa said:

I may be misguiding fellow modelers into some mistake,

Dear Gabriel,

The key part of your response is the statement above.  As you have correctly divined, I am doing my best to refrain from commenting on your posts.  In future, you can rest assured my self-discipline will be more rigorously enforced.

But what got me 'triggered' in this particular instance, is that I believe some weeks ago you were informed (by someone else, not on this forum) of the correct colours for those Canadian Rapides (not Dragons....please).  Which were Garavini Blue and Galatea Orange (per the works of Ken Molson, probably the most-respected historian of Canadian civil aviation there has been). But here you are , persisting with this 'red' thing.  Which is in sharp contrast to your strident proclamations for the need for good research (with which I agree wholeheartedly, but you better back them up.....or stay 'shtum'). 

As you well know....you have said it yourself....this era of aviation is full of myths which have become self-sustaining and gone unchallenged down the years. So please, let's not create some new ones.

As you have observed, I have a critical eye. A significant part of my job involves checking the work of other aircraft designers for mistakes, which can lead to expensive reworks or even safety issues.  Another part of my job involves counting rivets, or at least pitching them (4D to 8D, except in fuel tanks which have double rows of staggered pitches). So, yes, you can call me a literal 'rivet-counter'..... 

PS. For the record, the Hearst Vultee V-1A was painted cream with red trim and gold dividing pinstripes.  Now, you can follow some dodgy artwork from a French magazine and paint it gold.....but please don't then claim you have done 'proper' research.

I’m thinking this is like the blue Matilda  ( the tank museum got it wrong I think and Airfix copies them, it should be buff, Silver grey and slate grey ( more or less) ) or for that matter the correct colour for a WWI MK IV heavy tank ( chocolate brown btw, ie the same colour as Cadbury’s milk chocolate afaik) or what shade of green 4B0 should be ( there’s an entire website devoted to this btw) Or why knowing that it probably should have been gloss black and silver I still painted my AT&T DH 4a blue.

Fir the most part If you’re happy with the model then that’s all that matters. 

Also on a semi related pet peeve there is no such thing as accurate colour, stick with pleasing or plausible.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

For those who argue that there is no such thing as an accurate colour, there are such things as wrong ones.

On a more general point the colour scheme of an aircraft is every much a part of the original as the external shape and internal fittings.  If you  going to go to extreme lengths for accuracy (or best possible representation) in these other matters then it is completely consistent to take the same approach to the colours.  Else you are spoiling the ship for a ha'p'orth of tar.  If the colours are wrong (not just off a bit) then the model is wrong.  Which is entirely fine for me and you looking at it on our shelf, but I don't think it should be broadcast as an example that others will follow, and quote in the future.

Obviously I'm well aware this is a minority view in some quarters, so you can save the efforts of your objections for something more constructive.

• Like 1

I would agree that you can have the wrong  colour. I refer back to that Airfix blue on the Matilda caunter  scheme. But having worked  in inkjet for many years and with a bit of formal colour science training, I’d say you can definitely match a colour but getting it accurate on a scale model is difficult in the extreme.

I’d also say that if you want to paint your model whatever way you want it’s entirely up to you. I’ve come across more than one occasion in the forums where I’ve just bitten my tongue at a blatantly inaccurate finish. ( Fokker Dr 1 streaks or Fokker DVIII wing colours come to mind) But unless the modeller explicitly asks my opinion I’ll hang on to it. 

Not to exaggerate or overstate things but when we show our work we put a little bit or ourselves out for approval and opinion and people can be very sensitive in that context.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1