1/32 HKM Lancaster...

Hi Folks, 

Well look what I got for my birthday!!! I thought about doing a sprue shot and then realised I didn't have the space, which doesn't bode well for when I've finished this and need to put it somewhere. Anyway, on with the obligatory box top shot accompanied by the ever-faithful Frankie...

y4mhLCP4ImQgftgfCEl_WUTZ6cD3KaXXVZPVKwEm

It is, of course, big. I've got the B-17 mounted on the wall, but there's not fixings for that in this kit so it'll have to stand somewhere, but that's a problem I'm happy to kick down the road for the moment. I was also treated to the Eduard 'mid-level' set, with etch for the cockpit, seatbelts and radiators, plus the pre-cut masks, and on top of that Susan even provided me with the Master barrels... what a girl!! Apart from that, it'll be pretty much OOB, with kit markings, although having said that, I'll be getting (or making) some masks for the national insignia and squadron codes, just a bit too big for shiny decals. 

As with the Fortress it seems to be nicely broken down into a large number of individual mini-kits, starting in the cockpit and working backwards. I am, needless to say, very much looking forward to this...

Unfortunately, I didn't get off to the best of starts, managing to break pretty much the first thing I touched, the frame for the armour plating on the pilot's seat, which then had to be mended, which was annoying.

y4mZwle-qMpOS_9jpBvbWT500pQRS8Ka1QXgQOAp

y4mHZmTA8OuMCUCcbvUVD_Qh0Mgi1r3YebhskApC

The seat builds up pretty nicely, there's some etch to add and weathering to do, but I drilled out the lightening holes and it's nice to get something solid started:

y4mMWFMcMYpCdYmYHJfbDnPPwvYx-yZ19SC__2xn

y4m81XGIKtMUmd69W6FtXnKycjXCx4He0YhSqiKD

Broke out the etch and started on the 1940s tech:

y4mQn0pcF9nZCS8uxtfqXQJTGqAlx2nl_9CqJvNa

y4mehU6qNWa2j_Jna_Q-V4tr8OdwVBZRnJUS8MuR

y4mrA7g5ab1N2pf_HmBMz163gHtHmsRpegw8uQeM

That's about it for now, I can feel some wiring, hydraulic lines, and some of the more visible gubbins nagging at me, but that's still 'pretty much' OOB right? Anyway, thanks for looking, and hopefully there'll be more soon. 

Peter

Edited by Suddensky
  • Like 6

21 minutes ago, Suddensky said:

y4m81XGIKtMUmd69W6FtXnKycjXCx4He0YhSqiKD

It maybe just the lighting, but that green look like US interior green, not RAF Grey Green

see here

this maybe a bit washed out,  note the green seat leathercloth

detail_lanc_04.jpg&key=1ce0210a6e28e9a0c

more on the green here

this is well worth a look,  a 360 panorama of a Lancaster cockpit

https://www.pan3sixty.co.uk/portfolio/avro-lancaster-panorama-kb889-at-duxford/

HTH

• Like 2

Hi Troy,

Thanks, yes, it's the flash that's made it so green and stark, it's a lot duller and more grey under natural light (Vallejo Modelair interior green), and the weathering will tone it down further. I'll have play with some other options though, I've got the Tamiya and Xtracrylix versions to compare with, but at some time in the distant past I must have preferred this one for some reason and just stuck with it! Might be time for a re-think!

Thanks,

Peter

• Like 1

Work continues at its usual glacial pace...

Got the seat more or less finished, might dull down the Eduard belts a bit though.

y4maicv03Alkfcy0zSSd2fX_u8wsY9lwSQ-iA3on

Did a quick dry fit of the Nav and W/O stations, it's actually a pretty fragile structure.

y4mdgMlu2nd2wSsrhNDycbcbR2SO16jI4ZIwRkq2

y4m34yMCbgfrrQRoODY3eI0s7uEzH7X2gGw8XDua

And with a bit of weathering and a bit more attention, not really much to see here, but I added some metal strips over what I think are fuses(?) on the wireless panel, and wires from the morse key going down under the table. 

y4mf-6bxVntbC39iJkLhcYw3l3BeHVWp4s5su1v7

And added some bits and bobs to the navigator's table. A map holder from plasticard, maps from baking paper stuck together with PVA (Glue'n'Glaze in this case) and some nav tools from the etch spares box, pretty sure they're meant to be switches and a compass, but I think they look close enough to a ruler, slide rule, etc. Also added a pencil as someone noted it was missing from my B-17 build!

y4mMy44Gc6vHH-9L-mnMCbFO3lavurIUdkp0Bam2

Looked at the H2S and put in some of the more prominent wiring, it ends up under the desk, but I don't think I need to plug it in anywhere. Had a bit of an incident with drybrushing the right hand box, but I think I'll leave it in the name of expediency and moving on. 

y4mG9zdUggDTsKrMy2zD7Qu_eOf5GRdzN5t8i_mL

And here's the section pretty much finished...

y4mV_LHxOiLjYRU1yZqqFiQDpGIyuATnFBx2nRRu

Next stop, the control column, the seat surrounds and equipment, and the instrument panel.

Stay tuned and thanks for looking,

Peter

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I think Troy may be right - you're using American Interior Green which was yellow zinc chromate tinted with black and looked like this:

ACUS09rgb_2048x2048.jpg?v=1579883334

British Interior Grey-Green was a much paler grey-green without the strong yellowish component:

ACRN28rgb_2048x2048.jpg?v=1579883297

Looking back to 20 years ago - all my models were the other way around. It was Humbrol 78 inside everything back then :D

2 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Looking back to 20 years ago - all my models were the other way around. It was Humbrol 78 inside everything back then :D

Still is now for me 😄

This is going to look amazing. Surely it will finish up bigger than the dog. Will follow with interest!

Edited by TonyOD

Looking good. I am considering retrofitting my finished version with a couple of Eduard Brassin Merlins... They make a pair for the Tamiya Mosquito and look a lot better than the kit's rather weedy efforts. 

My go...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Well that was a bit of a pause, hopefully some sort of normal service has been resumed now. Initially I wanted to add some wiring and plumbing to the fuselage walls in the forward compartments, but couldn't really find any decent references online, and massively stalled in my progress. That was compounded by myself and my wife both working from home for extended periods and needing my study to be a decent work area (ie cleaned down of modelling stuff), so I kind of put it all away for a bit.

Anyway, hopefully back in the zone now, so on with the progress report.

Finished up the front cabin with the IP and pilot's sidewall, courtesy of Eduard, I've never been able to get the levers and protruding bits done very well on these sets!

y4miPK9SpnPeuscGn8eQi5eMLhqjc64HCZfq8zoc

y4m5lKsnNnrak-GcfcsW5vIwnYQlypwKk5rAUWKW

y4mlN-v5t1eMB7yBdh89ODz9g6y15Z_Kwe3qYyvh

One of the FE's panels:

y4msbGM--3SKvQmNGf8EEouCvXUAMqmuTQOsuyYc

And the back side of the main spar, should it have a black non-slip coating on the top of it?

y4mZdWjv-uejZzk3on5XKw08_-ihJkQlU68UvdIc

Starboard fuselage wall, with the bomb selector panel and more FE stuff:

y4mrIxr_aXoRpJupoZvccwioPBuxq5dIHOsDLn3b

y4m86dol4vbXRzO1AQQAz_VpTXYq0MRURf22c7aP

And the port side:

y4m41M2yYp6cY6bfUuHh4uSTBsMweB7os-gdPnAr

y4mKt-316ks9QsjPJuNBZ4Nuorfjyr66XDzqoVPQ

And the bombsight:

y4mkfXUBUE8vsfQUMluiXB2Oi8v0Q4yRFv4O2cKl

You can see why I'd like to add some wiring and plumbing, the FE area is covered in pipework and the bombsight and bomb aimers station is really visible through all that plexiglass. If anyone could point me in the direction of any good online references I'd be very grateful!

Then on with the defensive armament, three turrets to do, starting with the nose:

y4muHh3SRwICBM_DrvMT1CI-9D92-F6NQXx6109w

y4mEFAMK3vBg2iD3wZ79pOIDsM30oDt-NyQ2RVHA

Mid-upper:

y4mOEQ7ZL9D9P8vBsDQsITsQNhk5mCqBijAE9ul_

y4mIYmV0AUsjJvu1LunCkrEgFYm_zgAYLcWLyfay

And tail-end Charlie:

y4m2mWLQTuESbmxmYESOtU38wn4y-CSKAc9PAG9B

y4muCSfNLq_jj6ISaYHCsMUbCgocReQ4EBUwN5w-

I found the turret construction really fiddly and a bit frustrating, having to sandwich several bits between the two outer supports all at the same time. I think they could benefit from a bit more detailing too, but again I'm struggling with references.

Then it was on with the tail assembly, the surface detail really is fantastic. The plan is to paint the upper surface camo, then build it, mask the camo and add the black and the fiddly bits such as the actuators.

y4mATqDaICwkeUyKh3KAz5TxoyNCRmnRPFPLltrq

And the middle section and rear ammo boxes ready for paint:

y4md5q9cWqvrGLBYuEmn57QzvNRv2YyRKh3XraPZ

So this is where we are for now:

y4mCj8fo3e8K1XdP13-Bu6lPwguswVu5QEeriLiM

Next steps are to mask off the glassware for the turrets, paint the insides of the main fuselage halves, and then add all those little windows... so many little windows.

Thanks for looking, and hopefully progress will be a bit swifter now.

Thanks,

Peter

• Like 7

That’s sooooo freakin awesome!!

I have this kit...in the box where it maintains all its future artistic potential, once I start working on it, the potential work of art is gone and it’s just another model.

I’ll live my dreams through your build now!!

Looking good. Watch out for the stabilisers... They were moulded incorrectly on my version, with one side made of 2 upper sections, and the other made of 2 lower sections. If you are fussed, I explain the fix in my build log posted earlier. 

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

OK, so that was a bit of a hiatus, but I should be pretty much back to it now. 

On 12/2/2020 at 7:40 PM, Mancunian airman said:

Overall some good progress there, its certainly moving along so heres hoping you can keep it up  . . .

Thats a nice black on the turrets, which black did you use please ??

Thanks, it just Vallejo Modelair black with just a really really tiny amount of light grey to take the edge off.

On 11/13/2020 at 9:46 AM, Chaotic Mike said:

Looking good. Watch out for the stabilisers... They were moulded incorrectly on my version, with one side made of 2 upper sections, and the other made of 2 lower sections. If you are fussed, I explain the fix in my build log posted earlier. 

Mike

Wow, that's a biggy! Have checked and mine seem ok, but good to know for the future just in case I accidentally decide to add a dambuster to the collection.

Decided to push on with getting the fuselage zipped up, so did the rear floor section:

y4m_bO3-Hq1hkGF-NoPNFYwFPVVH0SbzLfvw_bmX

Was briefly tempted to add a comedy loo roll holder and a magazine for the Elsan, but kind of forgot about it... probably for the best. 

Added some wiring and gubbins to the nose section with wire and etch from the spares box:

y4muJVvBEQw-zonKWx9Kf1-EZVGkYWEt7OoI2SFU

And painted things:

y4mZLY_0sKil_y1UQjJ-S4XTMJoYAMkItqGpCNpx

And some bits on the other side:

y4mSMpL5pmor_sykeqIeAT0fFhfXqTP6zhvqFY8v

y4mMW3XzLm2iw1QoCqa8Z-jCMmpoPxyZ8sKHIqni

I did tidy it up a bit after taking the pics, honest.

Four Merlins ready to go... They'll all be sealed up, but felt I ought to paint them at the very least:

y4m1T5XVTEJit8QyqhWnd7H1v5-yszBluAi8X5CL

y4m9LpHRX0bKYHMYPy83XTdcqgoyQgzwEtCtRfdR

Used the Eduard grill set on the radiators, well worth it I think.

Had a go at the exhausts with a base of black, then drybrushing with Vallejo burnt iron, rust, and finally some light grey. The engines are finished with washes of dark grey then green, to try to make the aluminium bits look oily.

y4mHsWYCz5KTNYfQlj1ZodhCkBIQ9aKm-DOybLMM

And got the rear mounting sections started, even though it'll all be sealed in:

y4miiPHUcuTXraK_PGK6iCBNHjKz6qeB3CSbSUwy

y4m0KXi6X45X5KuZoqOC4m97OXCmf5S-QSz1eRLO

Hopefully should have a pretty good run at things over the next few days, so there should be another update soon. In the meantime I think I'd batter order a lot of black paint...

Thanks for looking,

Peter

• Like 2

Moving along nicely. She's going to be a big beautiful girl.  The IP and FE panels look great.  Nice addition with the wiring added in the nose.  Did you ever find references for that?  I have looked and come up dry.

Take care,

Chris

4 hours ago, Dadeo911 said:

Moving along nicely. She's going to be a big beautiful girl.  The IP and FE panels look great.  Nice addition with the wiring added in the nose.  Did you ever find references for that?  I have looked and come up dry.

Take care,

Chris

Thanks, yes I did find a good online reference in the end, a full interior panorama of all the main areas at https://www.haraldjoergens.com/panoramas/lancaster/ it's a later version, but the basics are pretty much the same. 

45 minutes ago, Mancunian airman said:

Thats some real progress there Pete . . .

Your doing a fine job and I'm sure its not to far away from the final external painting, 

Keep it up

Ian

Thanks, Ian, yes, it's surprised me how close I am to paint now, it's sort of crept up on me! In terms of main assemblies it's pretty much just the engine nacelles and undercarriage to go, but there's an awful lot of faffing about with other things as well. I made a dog's breakfast of the main fuselage join, so that'll take some sorting, and the masking alone will take hours!

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Suddensky said:

The masking alone will take hours!

Not to mention a whack load of tape. 🙂

Thank you for the link to the reference you found.  I'm hoping to someday get my own copy of this beauty for my stash to ooh and awe over. 🙂

Have a great weekend,

Chris

Managed to get a good few hours in recently, so I feel I've made quite a bit of progress, although looking at the pics, it doesn't seem to be that much!

Assembled the tail control surfaces and committed to paint:

y4m0hTCdublC5aN5FoxZsYCsbSzkmELUbRHZWE9e

The sub-assemblies keep on coming ...

y4mxU-MlXPqtS9hcVkgyQ8JKkK2_LZCZWMBS03v3

And the main wheels are enormous; Vallejo black for the hubs, Tamiya rubber black for the tyres:

y4m4cVgxFTfugoz39zYLsfDYkcX-0v2KZLE8KyWE

Forgot to take a pic after the weathering, which I really enjoy; the wheels are put in a tub with a few chunks of various shades of pastel and a bit of pencil lead and given a vigorous shake, followed by a light random wipe and a coat of clear matt to seal it all. 

I like the multi-shaded finish, and here we are with the subs coming together to finish the inboard nacelles:

y4mzaGoX9aByJvIo1MkajBuJ-kjwegMe3G1KSZLV

Got the wings together:

y4m5gvtuO-us-VKCMVx0ZYFuTCOYrLJj1FDuyroc

And carried on working on the fuselage seam, I think it'll be ok in the end:

y4m2q-6P9omApzT2hT5JdNvxDQDoGGfL8YcAsBSS

I'm going for the fully modular approach, with the wings and fuselage being painted and decaled separately and then joined and touched up as required. The scheme fortunately lends itself to this approach, with the camo on the wings mating with black on the fuselage, negating the need to pattern match. 

Hopefully tomorrow will be a black day... black on the wings and black on the fuselage, although I've still not fully decided on having the bomb bay doors open or closed. Having said that, I've a suspicion that'll be the least of my worries once I've stuck the wings on, as I really do have no idea at all where I'm going to put the thing when I've finished. It's big. Maybe I should have thought about that before I started. 

Anyway, thanks for looking and hopefully there will be more soon.

Thanks,

Peter

• Like 3
  • Haha 1