3D Printed Andover -is is worth it?

HP42

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hawker-Siddeley-HS780-Andover-C1-3D-fabricated-1-72-kit/114229568098?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20200514085038%26meid%3D20dd9d61147241f5a1bb54383896fb49%26pid%3D101195%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpf%26sd%3D114240992737%26itm%3D114229568098%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DSimplAMLv5PairwiseWebWithBBEV1Filter&_trksid=p2047675.c101195.m1851

Simple discussion really. Here's an example of a 3D printed model that's not available by any other means. Has anyone had any experience of 3D printed kits before? Any good? How do you get rid of the inevitable steps in the plastic caused by the layering resolution?  Anyone has experience of this seller before? Just curious really. It might be a way of making very esoteric kits made available. 

Iain(32SIG) has a build review in detail here that goes a long way to informing and worth a read when considering your question. I was surprised it’s bigger than a B-17

• Like 2

Thanks chaps. Read the thread. The quality looks good and the clean-up is done by sanding and filling with putty. Add a dash of primer and we're good to go. That was my main concern, I didn't want it to have a layered effect. Interesting thread by the way, 1:32 Andover, what a beast! :speak_cool:

...I wonder is a 1:32 Vulcan could be done? Coffee table anyone? :tasty:

• Like 2

Looked at his other stuff and on a whim (had beer) just bought an HP42, I mean, 'I've' got to have one of those! I've always wanted one and could never get hold of the Contrail vacform. Let's see what it's like when it arrives. I might even figure out how post pictures once again and do a build thread. Meanwhile, I'll follow your Andover thread John, it's quite fascinating. I'll try and keep my kit pretty much as it arrives and not split the rudder(s) etc. I'm generally wedded to 1:72 so it's probably not worth it and I'm worried about messing up the plastic. 

• Like 1

I've been meaning to ask the same question myself, regarding the 72nd Andover.  The bit I don't understand is why curves and cylinders are stepped when others seem to be printing smooth?

Rubbing down and filing a fuselage fills me with dread, however the kit itself does look pretty accurate and really captures the features well.

Also just to add, I believe the minor tailplane issue mentioned in the article has been corrected.

Edited by 71chally

Hello,

Here is a pic of my recently (nearly-) completed 1/48 YS-11

49989520791_dcc59038a1_h.jpg152 

I must say that, despite the work required to obtain a smooth surface (and that didn't take many hours) it has been a long time since I've enjoyed building a kit so much. 

The only unusable parts were the much too thick propeller blades (to be replaced by 3D-printed ones)

MB

Edited by MarcB
  • Like 7

I have the HP42 that @bentwaters81tfw bought to photograph for the site to show what the Onemanmodel stuff is like.

Its pretty good for 3D printed stuff and better than I though it would be.

Looking at getting a YS-11 myself. 

That looks good @MarcB

9 hours ago, MarcB said:

Hello,

Here is a pic of my recently (nearly-) completed 1/48 YS-11

49989520791_dcc59038a1_h.jpg152 

I must say that, despite the work required to obtain a smooth surface (and that didn't take many hours) it has been a long time since I've enjoyed building a kit so much. 

The only unusable parts were the much too thick propeller blades (to be replaced by 3D-printed ones)

MB

Super job. I have  a friend in Japan doing the same kit. Whilst it is harder work than normal, it is good quality.

Andy

Just ordered the 1/72 Andover C.1 and take my first slow and careful steps into 3D modelling.

Have always imagined that if they had stayed in business that the Andover was the sort of project that Matchbox might have taken up

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm loving my 1:32 Andover project...

It turned out to be far better than I expected - and I think Toshihiko is getting some really good print results - I was very pleased.

I'm looking at mine as a canvas - a basis rather than an end in itself.

Yes, lots of sanding, but easier than a vac, or resin, kit IMHO - and surprisingly light as most parts are printed hollow.

I'm really pleased that I bit the bullet and ordered one - I never, ever, expected to be building a 1:32 Andover!

There already a link to my project above, but I also published a 'review' over on Large Scale Planes.

I'm with MB - haven't worked on a project that's been so rewarding for ages - but it does/will take a lot of work.

48b427_0218eb92a13c4040a3c6e157fcbe4767~

Iain

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Got word yesterday that my 1/72 kit has been posted so looking forward to it arriving , 1/48 or 1/32 seemed to be a step too far for my first venture into the medium but maybe that might change in the future depending how the build goes.

Will be going for a 46 Sqn. example in standard camouflage following my experience in the TA with three take-offs and no landings in twenty-four hours one weekend back in 1972 , marvelous aircraft both to fly-in at low-level and to step out of in mid-air,  beats the Herc hands down.

On 09/06/2020 at 22:02, 71chally said:

The bit I don't understand is why curves and cylinders are stepped when others seem to be printing smooth?

It really depends on the printer technology and the resolution. You've got various ways of 3d printing and a choice of thermosetting or thermoplastic materials - if you have a very fine resolution then the steps can be smaller than the human eye can discern but at the cost of speed. 

• Thanks 1

Coming on nicely! Just to hijack the thread with one post, my HP42 has arrived from Japan and it's rather splendid I must say. For the most part the printing 'grain' is quite fine. Everything arrived exquisitely packaged, bags with tape had the end of the tape folded back to facilitate easy opening, each model is a labour of love even in kit form. Whilst much of the grain wont be tended to (e.g. internal parts), there is some clean-up to do, especially on the underside of the fuselage. I'm considering using Mr Surfacer possibly even through an airbrush. Any thoughts on doing that? The kit even comes with half an extra wing as a test item which is going to be invaluable! Here's that scrap test piece and close up of the grain in a better area. I'm chuffed to bits with it so far. Building will be a challenge but I'm up for that. 

resized_a7ed928f-9549-40b7-90b1-7bd32191resized_144ee3be-c319-4cdf-9270-906f329e

• Like 2

On 6/20/2020 at 11:16 PM, Des said:

1/48 or 1/32 seemed to be a step too far for my first venture into the medium

If anything, it might even be easier :) If he's using a filament printer that means it's built up out of tiny strands of plastic.

Bigger scales generally mean larger curves and less 'steps' - akin to the higher level of detail in injection moulding in 1/48 or 1/32 compared to 1/72.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pin said:

Toshiko is actually on this forum  @One Man Model so you may address your questions directly to him 

I hadn't realised that. @One Man ModelI think your kit is incredible and a work of art even in kit form. I'm in the process of building it (well, only just started looking at it) and I'll have some feedback for you to make it even better. The work involved in making it is astonishing. I think a Dornier Do-X is my next order... :thumbsup:

My 1/72 Andover arrived around half an hour ago and am very impressed by what is there , level of detail inside and outside , the apparent fit of the parts just by holding them together is excellent.

My only previous experience of 3D printing is that it has been very expensive, a set of four 1/48 wheels for a helicopter I bought from a global network of 3D printing partners by the time they added  VAT , Customs , Shipping and just because we can fees cost about a third of what Toshiko at  One Man Model charges for the complete Andover kit including shipping which in turn is around the minimum I would expect any 1/72 injection kit if there were ever to be one produced to cost so most definitely excellent value for money.

I can see that it is not a project to be rushed and there are some different skills to be honed along the way but from first impressions it looks fantastic.

• Like 3

I ordered one of these in 1/48 so really keen to get back to the UK and make a start. 

Thanks for posting the thread 

Colin 

I also have the 1/72 kit it is very impressive & a new way of construction with small brass pins ,fit is amazing on the components. I have also received Oldmodels decal sheet from NZ to complete it. Which is the best glue to use on 3D printed plastic? As donot want to damage the kit.

30 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

I also have the 1/72 kit it is very impressive & a new way of construction with small brass pins ,fit is amazing on the components. I have also received Oldmodels decal sheet from NZ to complete it. Which is the best glue to use on 3D printed plastic? As donot want to damage the kit.

My glue of choice for everything is EMA Plastic Weld which among other things is suitable for ABS which seems to be what has been used here , first task will probably be to cut one of the blanks from the door spaces and just check it out.

I ordered the Oldmodels sheet last night , take it from the description that they are printed onto a solid sheet of backing and need to be trimmed individually.