HMS Resolution SSBN, 1/350 Mikro-Mir

I need a dimension, if anyone can indulge me who has the Micro-Mir kit.  I simply need the hull trailing edge diameter, where the screw meets the hull.  So either the diameter of the hull, or the diameter of the screw boss. It's more accurate taking it off the screw boss if you're using a pair of calipers, though the part is fiddly as it's small.  

• 3 weeks later...

Very much chicken before the egg...kit only just arrived yesterday...I'll need to assemble the two hull halves together and then do more verification work on the interface between the screw boss and the hull trailing edge.  And then I'll get distracted by something else, squirrel!...did find images of the Trafalgar's screw today, so there's that...

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, whitestar12chris said:

Hi Woodstock just caught this, have a pic of the propeller in question hope it helps.

spacer.png

All the best Chris

Thanks for that Chris.  Different angle, 90% of the photos online are taken to the right of yours, square to the signage.  And your new angle brings the question...do we think those are zinc anti-corrosion anodes there between the blades?  And if so, they aren't placed between every blade as on the Russian subs as this is the only image I've seen showing any evidence of those.

• Like 1

Not entirely sure if these are sacrificial anodes, as these you typically place near the weaker material and that is usually not the propeller (brass is usually the cause of the problem). Probably a few holes to apply the hydraulics when fitting the prop on a shaft, see below.

fixed-pitch-propeller.tmb-tmb1366.png?sf

Edited by foeth
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, foeth said:

Not entirely sure if these are sacrificial anodes, as these you typically place near the weaker material and that is usually not the propeller (brass is usually the cause of the problem). Probably a few holes to apply the hydraulics when fitting the prop on a shaft, see below.

fixed-pitch-propeller.tmb-tmb1366.png?sf

Primary reason brought up anodes is because it seems a common practice with the Russians.  Or, that's what I assume those objects are between the blades on their Kilo and Delta IVs, etc.  I had thought they could also be some kind of flow energizer for hydrodynamic reasoning, but they also look zinc in nature, so perhaps double duty?  

e3towzi5knfz.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks, I see your point! Hydrodynamically they are... in the way... I guess they did their research and that there is no cavitation hindrance from the anodes?

And that hub cap is also a form of vortex diffusor.

Edited by foeth
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, foeth said:

Thanks, I see your point! Hydrodynamically they are... in the way... I guess they did their research and that there is no cavitation hindrance from the anodes?

And that hub cap is also a form of vortex diffusor.

Yes, the Russians have a couple of flavors of vortex diffusers, though they seem to like the simple cruciform version the best.