F-35A – Royal Danish Air Force design revealed

desert falcon

Yesterday the Danish Defence Command revealed the design of the F-35A, soon to be delivered to Denmark.

0bbb0980f52658aca6e4964a60c7cdc4.jpg

Photo: USAF, Graphic: Flyverkommandoen: Computer graphic showing the future look of the Danish F-35A

Here a link to the press release, 

https://www2.forsvaret.dk/nyheder/nationale_opgaver/Pages/DesignafDanmarksnyekampflyerklar.aspx

Towards the end of the article there is a link for a pdf showing the FS colour codes, together with the measurements of the various markings.

03e4344a60b2d2c9fa64cdc7cd109450.png

58507f42ff79bd3adcdae4ddca41db28.png

81750eae64193a7625b67cc19dd045c9.png

7d3088bd2286d1f19981cf787306026c.png

In case you haven’t practised on your Danish lately, here is a translation of the highlights for anyone who would like to give it a go. 

- The basic colour is standard F-35 dark grey FS 36170.
- All external markings and operating instructions is as per the international standard for F-35A. The font is US Navy Long Beach.
- The roundel and fin flash is toned down with the same red colour as used for other RDAF aircrafts and helicopters (FS 31136), but with a light grey colour (FS 36375) replacing the white in the roundel and the fin flash.
- The aircraft registration number (i.e. L-012) is painted on the outboard sides of the tail fins in USAF Amarillo font. The height of the letters and numbers on the tail is 250 mm, in a light grey colour (FS 36375). 
- The three numbers in the registration number is repeated on top of the fuselage just behind the air-to-air refuelling access and on the nose landing gear doors. The height of these numbers is 100 mm, in the same light grey colour (FS 36375) as on the tail fins.
- Note that in the pdf illustrations the BUNO# (USAF serial) shown as 19-5530 is an example only, as the correct serial for L-012 is not yet known.

With a total order of 27 F-35A, Denmark is to officially receive the first aircraft in January 2021. The F-35A will gradually replace the ageing fleet of F-16 Fighting Falcons and is planned for operational readiness out of Fighter Wing Skrydstrup in 2023.

Cheers

Johnny b 

• Like 8

On 09/06/2020 at 12:37, Truro Model Builder said:

It does beg the question that if the Danes can have coloured roundels, why are we still marking ours with grey polo mints?

Grey is probably cheaper than colour.

• Haha 3

On 6/9/2020 at 9:37 PM, Truro Model Builder said:

why are we still marking ours with grey polo mints?

Maybe the RAF believes the marketing hype for beyond visual range capabilities and that they’ll have complete information superiority - in that case, who needs to see coloured markings.

Or, could it be that the weather is better over Denmark, so people can actually see the colours...

😉

Edited by Blimpyboy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, desert falcon said:

NO!

Whaaaaaaat? No way!

If not for the weather (and perhaps the cricket), how else are we supposed to make fun of the brits?

Gosh-darn it.

Edited by Blimpyboy

2 hours ago, desert falcon said:

16 dg in Copenhagen

Positively tropical!

I must admit that I don’t think much of the F-35’s looks and colour; however, the Danish full-colour markings have changed my mind a little.

• Like 3

It's a terrible looking contraption, exacerbated by its blandness. 

Obviously it's highly capable and functional, although I fail to understand why we can't engender some pride and esprit de corps with proper squadron markings. All jets look better with big, bright fighter bars each side of the roundel and the unit's crest on the fin. 

Modern jets are so boring compared to even just ten years ago, and incomparable to the 50s to 80s. I honestly don't think I'd have got into aircraft at all if they were like they are now when I was a kid.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lord Riot said:

All jets look better with big, bright fighter bars each side of the roundel and the unit's crest on the fin. 

Well said, that man!

Meteor_NF14_GB_152_Sqn_1.jpg
Meteor_NF14_GB_153_Sqn_1.jpg
XS921.jpg

132d_Fighter-Interceptor_Squadron_-_McDo

Edited by Blimpyboy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lord Riot said:

Modern jets are so boring compared to even just ten years ago, and incomparable to the 50s to 80s. I honestly don't think I'd have got into aircraft at all if they were like they are now when I was a kid.

I agree with that. It's very hard to imagine how any youngsters today could find the armed services the attraction many of us did. There's so little of it and what there is they are not often keen to let us see it and yes, it's mostly incredibly dull to look at now.

Still, well done Denmark. Imagine the excitement when a Danish F-35 gets confirmed for RIAT in future.

• Like 3

What was the old recruiting line? Join and see the world. With modern air travel and a few hundred quid you can be on the other side of the planet in 24 hrs (or at least you could pre Covid - not sure we will get back to that any time soon). But with it being that easy there is no need to join up.

On 6/11/2020 at 6:16 PM, EwenS said:

What was the old recruiting line? Join and see the world. With modern air travel and a few hundred quid you can be on the other side of the planet in 24 hrs (or at least you could pre Covid - not sure we will get back to that any time soon). But with it being that easy there is no need to join up.

Ah thats what peace brings....togetherness but im gonna shut up otherwise this will go right off thread 🤣🤣🤣🤣.Nice colourful F35 btw

Edited by junglierating

9 hours ago, stevehnz said:

This is the first scheme on the F-35 that makes me want to get one.

For sure!

This would also ne nice (if real...{I also like the non-stealthy fruit salad under the wing}): https://www.scalemates.com/kits/fishbone-studio-fb72014-israeli-f-35i-adir-115-tajeset-what-if--1214815

Edited by Blimpyboy
  • Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 11:44 AM, Lord Riot said:

Obviously it's highly capable and functional, although I fail to understand why we can't engender some pride and esprit de corps with proper squadron markings. All jets look better with big, bright fighter bars each side of the roundel and the unit's crest on the fin. 

The problem with squadron markings and the such is now that the RAF is so small all the aircraft and pooled between the squadrons so they move around a lot.

But to go with the pride and esprit de corps you mention, i can't speak for officers, but as a aircraft tech currently serving, most junior ranks couldn't care less what is painted on the side of the aircraft. Most people on squadrons now just want to do the bare minimum time in get their qualifications and leave to get better paid jobs in civvie street. It seems like a lot of squadron pride and the such is forgotten about by them, for most now its just a job for a few years and move on and i don't think its going to change. Even specially painted aircraft like anniversary schemes most people aren't to bothered about.

Sorry for the thread drift all, it is nice to see a F35 with some colour on it for once, lets hope for more in the future

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

21 minutes ago, Motley said:

Most people on squadrons now just want to do the bare minimum time in get their qualifications and leave to get better paid jobs in civvie street. It seems like a lot of squadron pride and the such is forgotten about by them, for most now its just a job for a few years and move on and i don't think its going to change.

That's such a shame, and a sad indictment of the armed services I'm so proud of. Something must be wrong within the leadership levels for this attitude to be so prevalent.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lord Riot said:
15 hours ago, Motley said:

Most people on squadrons now just want to do the bare minimum time in get their qualifications and leave to get better paid jobs in civvie street. It seems like a lot of squadron pride and the such is forgotten about by them, for most now its just a job for a few years and move on and i don't think its going to change.

That's such a shame, and a sad indictment of the armed services I'm so proud of. Something must be wrong within the leadership levels for this attitude to be so prevalent.

It is a shame, certainly I had fun. While I'm still having some 'fun', I do find it's being processed out of flying and planning. Admittedly, we're in more wars and warlike deployments now than in the Cold War days, so there's a greater element of 'this is for real' and the attendant constraints.

Sigh.

Plus, it's (as always) all about dollars and there are just less to go 'round for flying hours and maintenance.

Edited by Blimpyboy
  • Like 1