AZmodel 1/72 DHC-1 Chipmunk T.10 - WP860 - No. 12 AEF Turnhouse

Hi There.

One of the reasons I got back into modelling was to build some or all of the aircraft that I was lucky enough to fly in during my time in the Air Cadets.

So, here is my first flight and one of the planes that I learned to fly in. WP860 from RAF Turnhouse. We flew from there during a summer camp but my first time was from Lossie when they came up on a gorgeous sunny Sunday afternoon.

This was a nice little kit and any errors and omissions are my fault entirely. My canopy masking wasn't the best I have done but i'm chuffed to bits with the finished kit and this one is personal and means quite a bit to me.

Painted with,
Mr. Finishing Surfacer White,
Humbrol Arrow Red,
Colourcoats Light Aircraft Grey
and finished with Windsor & Newton Galeria Satin Varnish

qIA9Tqa.jpg

mjtoVoO.jpg

v4HSdz6.jpg

Ycm30MC.jpg

l3LEK7R.jpg

s3oV2VL.jpg

l4DS778.jpg

ODLRRvF.jpg

bmkyvRR.jpg

CIIAVa3.jpg

As always thanks for looking and any and all criticism and comments are welcome.

Cheers,

Alistair 

• Like 56

4 minutes ago, jhutchi said:

Excellent build. I wish I had my log book so that I could remember which Chipmunk I first flew in from EAF at Cambridge 

Many Thanks,

To be honest I thought I'd lost mine years ago but found it recently tucked into a book in an old bookshelf.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Really nice model of a nice aircraft !!

Congrats !!

I like models with a story behind her !!

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks very much for your kind words,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

Wonderfully built. I don't see any masking errors. 

Thank You very much.

It's more to do with the Camera angle than anything else. They are there and I know they are.

Cheers,

Alistair

Love it.  The back story is great.  I had my first AEF flight in WZ875 from Turnhouse, more years ago than I care to think.  I need to get a Chippy and hope I can get somewhere near the quality you have achieved.

Cheers

Graeme

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, dbay133 said:

Love it.  The back story is great.  I had my first AEF flight in WZ875 from Turnhouse, more years ago than I care to think.  I need to get a Chippy and hope I can get somewhere near the quality you have achieved.

Cheers

Graeme

Hi There,

Many thanks for your kind words. It's all in the dim and distant past I'm afraid but some things you never forget.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

Nicely done

Who doesn't like a Chippie in Red/Grey/White?

I built my Airfix Chippie as WP860 as, according to my log book, that was the one I flew the most. AEF and learnt to fly mostly in it. It seemed to get around quite a bit. I flew it from all over the UK

Chimpmunk%20WP860%2C%2007s-S.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Don said:

Super nice and clean build!   The Chipmunk is one of my favorite trainers and you did a stellar job on yours.  

Don

Thanks so much.

9 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Nicely done

Who doesn't like a Chippie in Red/Grey/White?

I built my Airfix Chippie as WP860 as, according to my log book, that was the one I flew the most. AEF and learnt to fly mostly in it. It seemed to get around quite a bit. I flew it from all over the UK

Chimpmunk%20WP860%2C%2007s-S.jpg

Hi there,

It's the only scheme for me with the Chippie but I may be just a touch biased.

I feel a bit proprietary about it though. She belongs to me and me alone. 😉 :whistle:

Really nice job on yours. Looks superb.

Cheers,

Alistair

I may well have flown in that one too. Very nicely done and a great idea for a theme. I had considered building a model of every type I have worked on which isn't that extensive a list as it turns out.

Duncan B

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Duncan B said:

I may well have flown in that one too. Very nicely done and a great idea for a theme. I had considered building a model of every type I have worked on which isn't that extensive a list as it turns out.

Duncan B

Hi Duncan,

Thanks for the kind comments.

You know you need to do it just to show the rest of us mere mortals how it should be done.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 1

So nice to see a Chipmunk in RFI.  Such a charismatic little aeroplane and one which I remember with so much fondness.  I first flew in one in August 1992 (I think - I can't find my 3822 to check) from RAF Shawbury and I can still smell it.  Some of my friends and I still say "Jump, jump, John" when things look a bit sketchy!

A lovely model, and one that should be on every ex-ATC cadet's list to build.  It's certainly on mine.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, trickydicky210 said:

Lovely chipmunk 

Thanks very much for your kind words.

41 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

So nice to see a Chipmunk in RFI.  Such a charismatic little aeroplane and one which I remember with so much fondness.  I first flew in one in August 1992 (I think - I can't find my 3822 to check) from RAF Shawbury and I can still smell it.  Some of my friends and I still say "Jump, jump, John" when things look a bit sketchy!

A lovely model, and one that should be on every ex-ATC cadet's list to build.  It's certainly on mine.

Hi there,

I'm sure the Chippie is very fondly remembered by all former Space Cadets, I know it hold a special place in my heart.

The AZ is a nice little kit but as there are no location pins and it's all butt joins needs a little more care and dry fitting but it's well worth it.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

Cracking little Chippie! I remember flying in these from RAF Woodvale in the mid-80s. 

Would love to have one of these plus a Sedbergh glider in 1/48.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Cracking little Chippie! I remember flying in these from RAF Woodvale in the mid-80s. 

Would love to have one of these plus a Sedbergh glider in 1/48.

Many Thanks,

I would love to find a kit of a Sedbergh glider. We only went gliding once from Kirknewton when we were at camp at Turnhouse but I will never forget that feeling of complete freedom at the moment that the tow line was released. Wonderful.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

That’s a great job!

I would pull the trigger on an AZ one (have you seen the price of the Airfix ones on eBay lately!) but I’ve a sneaky feeling Airfix will do a new tool one soon! 

TT

I'd love a new-tooled Airfix kit...  in 1/48!  What are the chances?!

• Like 4