Hole in tank!!

Steve Noble

Well my trusty Sil-Air 15 export has finally given up the ghost after nearly 30 years of sterling service. Switched it on on Saturday and a small pop noise followed by the hiss of air escaping and no pressure building on the gauge. Problem is a pin sized hole in the tank. The metal around that area looks fragile. 30 years of condensation has probably rusted it out from the inside. Only problem is the tank is also the handle, so the whole part would need to be replaced, not even sure it's available as a part, but I've emailed Werther to ask, but not holding any hope. Maybe I could replace with a generic tank and get it working again? Or I could just invest the money I'd spend on a tank and parts into a new compressor? I'd certainly buy a Sil-Air again, 30 years is a long time for anything to last, let alone a compressor that's been in use almost daily and seen some serious action!! The hole is just under where the green on/off switch is, on the round pipe part, which is also the handle and base where the motor part bolts onto.

15-export-big.jpg

So the round pipe is the tank itself? You could easily replace it with a piece of stainless steel pipe bent and welded like the original one. And being stainless steel it would never rust. Try talking to some custom exhaust shops, they should have all the tools needed (including the proper tools to make the threads in the tank). It wouldn't be on the cheap side, but it would last longer than the "engine".

14 minutes ago, bmwh548 said:

So the round pipe is the tank itself?

Yes, exactly that. The pipe is the tank (1.5ltr capacity) and doubles as the handle too. Never thought to try and have the tank made by someone..

Sparmax  make tanks, three different sizes & you plug the compressor power plug into a socket on the tank power cable so the 

tank takes the power off the compressor when it is full. I would look at the 650ml or 2 litre would be the ones to look at.

It looks to me that that your output connector should screw straight on to the tank.

I think we've only got the large 5 litre tank in stock at the moment. but will be ordering next week, so get in touch if I can help.

Paul

Thanks Paul, I had noticed the tanks you sell by Sparmax and having that auto on/off arrangement certainly appeals to me. How many attachment points do the Sparmax tanks have and do they have a point on the tank where I can add a drain plug? I'm thinking I need an inlet point where the air enters the tank, an outlet where I connect the airbrush and a drain plug? Also, would i need a blow of safety valve fitted to the tank? The compressor I have now is on all the time and has a small valve at the front which bleeds the air away if the tank gets full I think. Sorry for so many questions but I'm not so knowledgeable on compressor matters. If I can simply replace the tank it would be a real bonus and cheaper than a complete new compressor.

46 minutes ago, Steve Noble said:

Thanks Paul, I had noticed the tanks you sell by Sparmax and having that auto on/off arrangement certainly appeals to me. How many attachment points do the Sparmax tanks have and do they have a point on the tank where I can add a drain plug? I'm thinking I need an inlet point where the air enters the tank, an outlet where I connect the airbrush and a drain plug? Also, would i need a blow of safety valve fitted to the tank? The compressor I have now is on all the time and has a small valve at the front which bleeds the air away if the tank gets full I think. Sorry for so many questions but I'm not so knowledgeable on compressor matters. If I can simply replace the tank it would be a real bonus and cheaper than a complete new compressor.

You should be able to get away just plugging your hose into your compressor & then inlet of the tank.  You will then need a second hose on the tank output to connect the air supply to your airbrush.  Depending on the compressor & airbrush you have you may need adapters to get it all working properly.

Paul