De Havilland DH.80 Puss Moth - Baťa Company (Avimodels 1/72)

Hello there!

I would like to present you freshly finished kit - DH.80 Puss Moth from the Czech manufacturer Avimodels. The build took about three weeks and the whole progress is documented here:

Everything was said in this thread, but I would like to just add a few things. I hope that some decal manufacturers will produce extra decal sheet with record breaking machines. If so,  you have to beware of the differences on each of the aircraft (and there were loads of differences!). If you want to build an aircraft with the larger wheel diameter, you have to scratch it, or use a spare pair. Also the engine is not provided and the doors are not scribed. But all the way round the kit is well constructed and the clear parts fits together really well (for a short-run kit!).
It was a pleasure to build this kit and I hope it will be in stock in the UK soon. The price is quite high, but the type is a must have!

Thank you for looking.

P1560342 P1560344 P1560345 P1560348 P1560349 P1560350 P1560355 P1560356 P1560358 P1560361 P1560368 P1560370 P1560373 P1560374 P1560378

And now the details:

P1560362 P1560364 P1560371 P1560372 P1560375 P1560376

And in flight :)

P1560379

P1560380

• Like 65
  • Thanks 4

The Puss Moth is probably my all time favourite aircraft. It was the subject of my first vac (limited) production kit some ten years before Aeroclub was officially launched.

You have made a lovely job of the Puss in an interesting colour scheme, congratulations..

However one point which is not your fault, the manufacturers have got the wheels mixed up.

They have used the larger 24" diameter of the early narrow tyres, but they've made them look like the actually smaller 19" balloon tyres of most production aircraft.   As they are, they are too big and too thin.

For anyone wanting to make the more common balloon tyre'd version, use Tiger Moth wheels. I need to see a photo of ATG to see which tyres were in fact fitted.

When the first renders of this kit appeared in The Rumour monger I remarked on the wheels then.

Cheers

John

• Like 4

Gorgeous! There's no way you'd ever be able to tell the scale from those photos, it really is that good. I think I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and get one, as I'm a sucker for de Havilland aeroplanes and I rarely get to see a Puss Moth.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, John Aero said:

The Puss Moth is probably my all time favourite aircraft. It was the subject of my first vac (limited) production kit some ten years before Aeroclub was officially launched.

You have made a lovely job of the Puss in an interesting colour scheme, congratulations..

However one point which is not your fault, the manufacturers have got the wheels mixed up.

They have used the larger 24" diameter of the early narrow tyres, but they've made them look like the actually smaller 19" balloon tyres of most production aircraft.   As they are, they are too big and too thin.

For anyone wanting to make the more common balloon tyre'd version, use Tiger Moth wheels. I need to see a photo of ATG to see which tyres were in fact fitted.

When the first renders of this kit appeared in The Rumour monger I remarked on the wheels then.

Cheers

John

Thanks John, It's a pity that they didn't make them, it will look much better.

7 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

Gorgeous! There's no way you'd ever be able to tell the scale from those photos, it really is that good. I think I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and get one, as I'm a sucker for de Havilland aeroplanes and I rarely get to see a Puss Moth.

Cheers,

Mark.

Thanks Mark, get one, you will see that it goes together really well. :)

Thank you all guys, I am really happy you like it!

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

Very nice. Well done. What's next?

Stuart

I am preparing fot the Benes-Mraz Be.150 Beta Junior in Czechoslovak colours again. Stay tuned, it will appear there shortly. 

• Like 1

As others have already said - a great job.    The photos of your holding the model certainly shows the small scale so well done on making this model look larger than it actually is.

Regards

Dave

• Thanks 1