A-7D Corsair II, Hasegawa, 1:48

Hi. I present my completed last project. This is the well-known Hasegawa A-7D Corsair II kit. 

I enriched the kit with resin undercarriage covers from Quickboost, Aires resin ejection seat and set A Aircraft Weapons from Hasegawa.

Model paintes mostly with Gunze and Tamiya paints, small details from Vellejo and Model Master. Weathering made with oil paints for artists.

G0ByOS8.jpg

lbBy51J.jpg

wGn5z2e.jpg

gOK6DdY.jpg

VfBenYh.jpg

HsvMA15.jpg

25p2pv4.jpg

gqODOhh.jpg

KJcPi5F.jpg

• Like 52

That is a superbly built and beautifully finished Corsair!

Can I ask a question of all the A-7 experts out there please....and this is definitely not a criticism just a request for information....I'm currently building Trumpeter's 1/32 A-7E and I'm intending to show it with a full weapon's load. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the A-7 would not have its avionics bays open when there were weapons on board. Does anyone know if that is the case please?

Thanks in anticipation.

1 hour ago, t15dja said:

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the A-7 would not have its avionics bays open when there were weapons on board.

You interested me in this fact. I didn't know about it and I didn't see such information anywhere.

Really lovely looking A-7D. The grey could perhaps be a little darker?

Yes this is from the 4440th Tactical Group/4451st TFS which operated out of Tonopah during the day to deceive onlookers as to the purpose of the base to stand up F-117A operations.

A quick search came up with a couple of images to show that A-7 avionics bays were opened when armed:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers

Malcolm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Baldy said:

The grey could perhaps be a little darker?

You're right, gray is too light, I think. I built the main layer of color with various shades of gray, and the last color was Gunze H305 (Hasegawa also gives this color in the instructions).

I could use FS36118 from AK Real Colors, because it is darker than Gunze, or I can make my own color mix.

Edited by Mates
  • Like 1

On 6/9/2020 at 3:37 AM, t15dja said:

That is a superbly built and beautifully finished Corsair!

Can I ask a question of all the A-7 experts out there please....and this is definitely not a criticism just a request for information....I'm currently building Trumpeter's 1/32 A-7E and I'm intending to show it with a full weapon's load. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the A-7 would not have its avionics bays open when there were weapons on board. Does anyone know if that is the case please?

Thanks in anticipation.

I had the good fortune and privilege of arming visiting A-7`s when I served in the US Air Force in the early 80`s.  I do remember that the avionics bays being opened while we conducted the required weapons loads.  The bays weren`t always open but often times they were as essential equipment needed inspection before flight.  This was my experience with others may have had differing accounts.  I hope it helps.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1