JA37Di Viggen

With the recent Jetmads JA37 Viggen on the horizon I decided to share an inspirational build I did back when the Tarangus Viggen was first released :D

It is a bit picture intensive but I hope you'll forgive me.

Well this was my first encounter with a Tarangus kit and I liked it...the kit sis good, albeit you do need to add some details....then again there are few kits that don´t...

The only real issue I had with the kits was the price...it´s severly over priced and that could come back and haunt them.

I f you compare the old Esci and the new Tarangus there isn´t even a competition.....however, the Esci looks quite Viggenish and with a few aftermarket stuff you can get it

to look really Viggenish. Here´s the bottom line; the cost of one Esci kit and some aftermarket together with some elbow grease is still cheaper than the Tarangus kit....and

it would benefit from one or two after market items as well.

With this kit I tried to show how to handle with its shortcomings and add some details. The weak spots are the rear tailcone/exhaust are....totally devoid of any details 😕

The canard flaps are straight instead of angled, and the tail fin leading edges should be parallell above and under the dogtooth....and the wheels.

I put in a modified neomega seat, Master pitot tubes and Maestro resin wheels...the rest I scratched and detailed myself.

I decided to make the 37398, from the F4 fighter wing at Frösön...I just happened to do my military service there, chasing spetznas in the bushes :P It´s a JA37Di and the last

iteration of the Fighter Viggen. It was quite capable in those final years, able to carry 4 AMRAAMs and two winders it wouldn´t be sneezed at in a BVR fight. A lot of the

"bling" found their way into the Gripen as well.

Viggen was used to rugged conditions at faraway road bases with only conscripts servicing it and it showed in the lovely patina that built up on the grey Fighter Viggens, some

where painted in the splinter scheme as to confuse an enemy to think they were attack ships instead of fighters.

It was a beast with the improved RM8B engine, they added a fan stage at the front to increase the power, at the same time they put a seal on the throttle so in peace time it

could never go to full military power...so the AJ remained the faster of the two in fact.

Anyways, want to see some pics? I have a few............

DSC_9186_zpssz9aoxqr.jpg DSC_9191_zpsuf572ecd.jpg DSC_9195_zpsa8m0auqs.jpg DSC_9202_zpsp8p38r7a.jpg DSC_9207_zpsvmcdomk8.jpg DSC_9208_zpskoaliavz.jpg DSC_9219_zpsbucgrqir.jpg DSC_9226_zps8iwimf7i.jpg DSC_9233_zpslcbubcqu.jpg DSC_9237_zpscjnb8kxt.jpg DSC_9242_zpsmhehsuyr.jpg DSC_9248_zpspov6fhtr.jpg DSC_9253_zps6ulq8ovw.jpg DSC_9258_zpsfa2kqnev.jpg DSC_9262_zpsyfrnmgb2.jpg DSC_9267_zpskkizstg3.jpg DSC_9272_zpsr9mflwwe.jpg DSC_9276_zpskf3incwu.jpg DSC_9281_zpsklinooet.jpg DSC_9286_zps55ydwmxa.jpg DSC_9291_zpsehapkbpt.jpg DSC_9298_zpse23hdjub.jpg DSC_9304_zps2dh5nf0p.jpg DSC_9309_zps44vs60ut.jpg DSC_9314_zpsc2yiyrhu.jpg DSC_9317_zps2bx7e3sc.jpg DSC_9320_zpsxwuuz19b.jpg DSC_9322_zpsq1gmm0wa.jpg DSC_9326_zpsbz8hgvrs.jpg DSC_9331_zpszarxnyvo.jpg DSC_9333_zpsfvbqg45f.jpg DSC_9335_zpsc1e6olky.jpg DSC_9337_zpsyafs98d2.jpg DSC_9340_1_zpsytj8m94e.jpg DSC_9344_zpsxtgnruyz.jpg DSC_9346_zpsbcpdn24u.jpg DSC_9349_zps6lw1pzfv.jpg

• Like 72

4 minutes ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Without doubt that is one of the finest looking Viggens that I have seen on BM.

Thanx :D

I was greatly inspired by Jan Jørgensens pictures of the last Viggen at F4 air wing.

Bravo, what a stunner, simply sublime. I still can't believe this plane hasn't had more attention from model companies to make an accurate and buildable model. Excellent work.

2 minutes ago, ViggenXC said:

Wow amazing build, finish, and background information congratulations

Thanx ViggenXC :D

I'm a bit Viggen nerdish :P

1 minute ago, Parabat said:

Bravo, what a stunner, simply sublime. I still can't believe this plane hasn't had more attention from model companies to make an accurate and buildable model. Excellent work.

Thanx Parabat :D

sometimes I have wet dreams of Tamyia having a go at it...but if Jetmads keeps their promises then that will be an amazing kit!

Excellent build! Is that the 1/72 or 1/48 kit? I looked it up and it appears Tarangus made Viggens in both scales.

Hi Aigore,

this is easily one of the best Viggens builds I've seen....ever! :worthy: The weathering is simply stunning, maybe you could explain how you did the grime caused by the thrust reverser and on the belly?

The Viggen is a beauty, isn't it? The Swedes really know how to build good looking fighters (and giving them cool names: Draken, Viggen, Gripen, ...) :wub:

Cheers

Markus

43 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

Excellent build! Is that the 1/72 or 1/48 kit? I looked it up and it appears Tarangus made Viggens in both scales.

Thanx SAT69 :D

it is the 1/48th scale, I got it fresh from duxford when they were first released, still steaming :P

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Shorty84 said:

Hi Aigore,

this is easily one of the best Viggens builds I've seen....ever! :worthy: The weathering is simply stunning, maybe you could explain how you did the grime caused by the thrust reverser and on the belly?

The Viggen is a beauty, isn't it? The Swedes really know how to build good looking fighters (and giving them cool names: Draken, Viggen, Gripen, ...) :wub:

Cheers

Markus

Thanx Markus :D

Here´s the look I was going for...

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/middle/8/3/4/0797438.jpg

Here´s the other side... note the dirtier look on the rear of the aircraft, it´s due to to oil leaks from the finfolding mechanism, it gathers dirt and smears all over the rear.

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/middle/5/3/9/0763935.jpg

Anyways time to get dirty!

I use a strip of tape to illustrate the structural ribs and how dirt acumulates along their rivets, in this scale the rivets are really too small to be seen so this really a nice way of illustrating the effect of fuel and oil seaping through and gathering dirt.

I used the Tamyia black pigments for this, applied them with a wet brush and smeared them with a makeup applicator spunge.

I worked my way along the fuselage keeping an eye on the refs...

Here´s the right side done as well.

And the bottom...really grimey belly on this beast.

Not that much grime on the top side tho...

Then I sealed with a flat coat and this is how it looks all finished :D

There´s dirty and grimey for you :P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, ruudster said:

Wow!  Great work!

Ja, the price keeps me from acquiring a AJ...

Thanx ruudster :D

It is the only game in town unless you prefer the Esci Viggen. The price is a bit steep but consider the cost of fun per hour....now  I think that's value for money :D

• Like 1

Picture intensive? Yes, but for very good reason!!

Looks fantastic!

And well armed :)

sometimes they carried an EW pod instead of the starboard Amraam as well by the way!

7 hours ago, exdraken said:

Picture intensive? Yes, but for very good reason!!

Looks fantastic!

And well armed :)

sometimes they carried an EW pod instead of the starboard Amraam as well by the way!

Thanx exdraken :D

yes, the u95 pod was usually carrier by at least one in a two ship :)

• Like 2