1/350 HMS Calcutta and SMS Viribus Unitus

73north

Just to give the heads-up that 1/350 HMS Calcutta is now coming in July 2020

( news from Trumpeter own Chinese website )

and 1/350 SMS Viribus Unitus is now released for sale by Trumpeter this month 

VW7kuNA.jpg

Edited by 73north
  • Like 4

I've a feeling money will be fleeing from my bank account in July!

Zooming in on the model's photo the after funnel looks a strange shape.

Any news on the Didos?

Tom

14 minutes ago, Modelholic said:

Any news on the Didos?

Tom

You could bet money on that funnel being exactly as Profile Morskie shows it.

https://profilemorskie.com/Ships/38_CALCUTTA.htm

If there's a Profile Morskie publication on a British ship, it'll be almost exclusively that which Trumpeter uses. I'd go so far as to suggest it's where Trumpeter makes final selection on what fit and boxing's to offer.

They don't pay Sławomir anything, of course, he says.

Typical Trumpeter accuracy errors can usually be traced to Profile Morskie plans. e.g. the 1/200 HMS Hood's unequal size funnels, curious errors of planking and plating placement on the cruisers, solid bits which were really hollow manned positions and so on ...

• Like 2

I have 2 orders outstanding from mid April for Profile Morskie items, one of which is Calcutta

No replies to 2 emails - is this usual do we know?

And BTW - the made up model of Calcutta looks great

Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, robgizlu said:

And BTW - the made up model of Calcutta looks great

Have to agree Rob, it looks rather superb. This one is on my wish list for sure.

Terry

15 hours ago, Modelholic said:

Any news on the Didos?

Tom

I can confirm for certain - the Dido's are coming - their favourite box top artist ( Randall Wilson ) has done the Dido Class

Paintings a few months ago -

when you see his artwork completed - you know Trumpeter have the Model ready to be introduced -

if he has no artwork done yet for a certain ship - its not ready yet ( eg Rodney )

a simple , yet full proof method 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Typical Trumpeter accuracy errors can usually be traced to Profile Morskie plans. e.g. the 1/200 HMS Hood's unequal size funnels, curious errors of planking and plating placement on the cruisers, solid bits which were really hollow manned positions and so on ...

That explains their model of the HMS Abercrombie with its faceted fifteen inch gun barbette.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2020 at 6:27 PM, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

You could bet money on that funnel being exactly as Profile Morskie shows it.

https://profilemorskie.com/Ships/38_CALCUTTA.htm

If there's a Profile Morskie publication on a British ship, it'll be almost exclusively that which Trumpeter uses. I'd go so far as to suggest it's where Trumpeter makes final selection on what fit and boxing's to offer.

They don't pay Sławomir anything, of course, he says.

I think you are TOTALLY on the money here - I looked at the selection that Profile Morskie does -

and every ship that has been made or announced by Trumpeter has been listed and printed by Profile Morskie - eg Tashkent and Calcutta 

cheerfully - Profile also do drawings for 3 of the War Time Emergency Class Destroyers of the O Class - and the Interwar HMS Hardy 

so if they would produced either of those 2 Ship Classes , I would be very happy -

the one I would want the most is the Inter War A to I Class 

Edited by 73north
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 73north said:

cheerfully - Profile also do drawings for 3 of the War Time Emergency Class Destroyers of the O Class - and the Interwar HMS Hardy 

A new O Class would be welcome. Dad served aboard Obdurate in his national service in the early fifties.

• Like 1

It might come in the late December 2020 2021/2022 Catalogue sneek peek - you never know  the 3 ship plans are there for them to use from Morskie 

here is what will be released first and in no particular order

* stands for major design and new moulding work 

a lot of the Moulding work for the next ships announced are very limited - and ' easy ' .

Certainly the Italian Cruiser Zara Class - Gorizia will come out soon ( the artwork is done ) - and that's a simple re-box with a new nameplate really 

Tashkent 1942 variant ( that's just new Main Guns ) - so a simple single sprue moulding job - so really a simple re-issue 

Tirpitz at some point ( the aircraft crane has to go one deck higher , extra AA and really that's it . - easy re-issue 

Colombo - really a re-issue of Calcutta - very easy .

* Scharnhorst and Gneisenau - both have the artwork done by Randall Wilson - so should come out - the 1/200 version is ready .

*  Langley - late version ( seaplane carrier ) from 1941/42 ( a bit of work altering the basic hull and some of the forward flight deck needing removed )

USS Ranger - 1944 Version - not much extra work at all , maybe extra AA . I don't think the artwork is commissioned yet 

Nelson and Rodney - not idea if these will ever be realesed this decade , frankly , again no artwork for the 2 ships 

the final release is a 1/350 Gato Class Submarine 

so although these missing ships from the catalogue seem lengthy , a lot of the prior work is already done 

we can hope for a companion to the British 1/350 Tribal Class 

5 hours ago, Phil Gollin said:

No idea if a 6-inch version of the C-class cruiser is contemplated ?

Likewise, any chance of a Tribal class with errors corrected ?

knowing Trumpeter - zero chance of correcting it , sadly , although the fixes are not very difficult , apart from raising the Tribal bow for sheer -

fitting an aftermarket British Ships Boats , correct 3 Bladed Props and 4 barrel Pom-Pom are actually dead easy 

Edited by 73north

So if Trumpeter's source material is Profile Morskie, what are the chances of them doing HMS DELHI?  If not, I need to investigate the work needed to convert a C class cruiser to a D class.  About four years ago I started drawing up some plans to scratchbuild DANAE as my father-in-law's late departed father served in her during the Empire Cruise 1923-24 and I wanted to surprise him with a model for either Christmas or birthday.  Sadly my father-in-law also passed away a couple of years back so the impetus has gone but I know my wife would like to see a model of one of grandad's ships

The D's were fractionally smaller but that's doable and DANAE had the 6 inch turrets but again that's not an issue.  Haven't done the comparison on the rest yet.

On 18/06/2020 at 23:38, Chewbacca said:

The D's were fractionally smaller but that's doable and DANAE had the 6 inch turrets but again that's not an issue.  Haven't done the comparison on the rest yet.

The D class cruisers were some 22ft longer than a C class with another 3-4ft on the beam.  Originally had an extra 6" gun over a C.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/06/2020 at 18:16, EwenS said:

The D class cruisers were some 22ft longer than a C class with another 3-4ft on the beam.  Originally had an extra 6" gun over a C.

Your are indeed correct.  I only checked one reference before posting my previous which sadly has the length for the Ds incorrectly recorded.  Note to self - always check Friedman first!

Thanks