RECCE FORCE, M3A1 STUART 1/35 ITALERI

Hi Pals, 

Hi Pals,

I end this kit, which has been quite enjoyable to build and paint, which includes a fairly decent interior and which I decided to do, although in this specific case, not much is seen, even with the hatches open, if we disassemble the turret, something else if it is visible.

I have tried something new with this model (the truth is that I almost always do it ... lol), since I continue learning and improving what I already know how to do, and that is that the internet is a very useful resource, since it is not possible for me to share with nobody the hobby in person (now, even less).

Oils are definitely something very useful when it comes to painting, and even weathering on models, and it is also the first one with which I use satin varnish, trying to get a feeling of something "metallic", which I think is achieved by impacting the light in certain parts, I hope the photos show it, because in my hands, if I can make the mental abstraction that "it is not plastic" ... lol

Thank you all very much for watch and comment, and for the tips that have corrected at least a couple of errors :doh: (there are 2 less ... lol), I hope you like it.

Cheers and TC
Francis. 👍

BLACK BACKGROUND

5ppheSg.jpg

HdKLtKL.jpg

oXZCQmS.jpg

pZ9mOtr.jpg

TDTc1H0.jpg

EMOl8Vw.jpg

SXV1cHA.jpg

ogGziiZ.jpg

MxAneUL.jpg

kxAIUdD.jpg

uoKEAxa.jpg

AX8HfAU.jpg

vXBp1c2.jpg

BT3B4ze.jpg

kQljo5L.jpg

w2ZZRuc.jpg

W5XPM1P.jpg

White background

6Kk9KXL.jpg

TUC6NjW.jpg

86277F4.jpg

fOrgqad.jpg

ieC0tj3.jpg

HlRCWRq.jpg

ebuuiYs.jpg

fKNG2S0.jpg

tSHtfsi.jpg

CJ5NnTx.jpg

fSVUvo5.jpg

Sw5OnRi.jpg

ZNRtppT.jpg

KQ05Ovl.jpg

XFFjHM7.jpg

hvSmIor.jpg

f4cHAF8.jpg

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

That looks really good, I see l a lot thought has gone into your rendering of the colours and different mediums used here.   I would agree that a satin finish does help convey a more realistic look.

For  the tail lights, normally only the upper left (from the viewer's point) was red.  The bottom was blacked out, as were both lenses on the other light.   The tow cable, the crew would regularly maintain it to control rust - no point in carrying around if it's going to break when used to pull something heavy.

regards,

Jack

• Thanks 1

Hi Jack,

many thanks, i'm glad you like it, the lights have been a bit confusing, because the instructions of this brand are not very detailed in small things, so it is a little artistic license ...
And with the cable, good reflection, I will take it into account for the future, although in times of war, I imagine that not everything is as it should be ...
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

Hi Francis, another winner!

Great job, the paintwork, weathering and photography are all excellent. I've never tried a satin finish, after seeing yours I might just give it a go.

As for the tow cable, upon reflection it does look older than the vehicle and rather well used but who's to say they hadn't lost there own and found an old one as a replacement.

I seam to recall part of the regular maintenance regime would involve greasing the cable along with the suspension etc.

Looking forward to the next one. 

Cheers

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

On 08/06/2020 at 22:26, fatfingers said:

Aye up Francis.

Great job on this. Weathering and finish are both spot on. Well done sir!

Regards,

Steve

Hi Steve,

Many thanks for your like and kind words, i'm glad you like it.

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

Edited by FrancisGL
  • Like 1

Hi Francis. I hope you are keeping well. That is a really beautifully well painted and weathered Stuart!! Exceptionally well done!! :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

Hi Francis,

Great to see you back at the bench, and back with a bang.  You've done a great job.

The interior may not be easily visible, but with those large hatches open it would look naff without it. I think it's always better to have open hatches if one can, either with a figure (blocking the view of the interior) or to have an actual interior. With the size of a Stuart, it's not going to be a huge extra expense such as a full interior KT II which cannot be anything more than a display model.

You are right about the satin varnish making an AFV look more 'metallic', especially with green paints. I once made a Churchill and painted it matt, but didn't like the look. instead of applying a coat of satin varnish I tipped a couple of heaped table spoons of talc on it then used a stiff brush to rub it in. That 'polished' the paint. Areas that would see heavy wear I polished more, and those with low wear, less. It also meant that I could apply washes without using a gloss varnish... very handy.

Will we be seeing your Stuart in a diorama?

TC

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

On 09/06/2020 at 09:02, Bullbasket said:

Great job Francis. Good work with the paint job and the weathering, and excellent photos. Nice one.

John.

Hi John,

many thanks for your like and kind comments, i'm glad you like it.

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

On 09/06/2020 at 10:07, Jasper dog said:

Hi Francis, another winner!

Great job, the paintwork, weathering and photography are all excellent. I've never tried a satin finish, after seeing yours I might just give it a go.

As for the tow cable, upon reflection it does look older than the vehicle and rather well used but who's to say they hadn't lost there own and found an old one as a replacement.

I seam to recall part of the regular maintenance regime would involve greasing the cable along with the suspension etc.

Looking forward to the next one. 

Cheers

Darryl 

Hi Darryl,

many thanks for your like and kind words, i'm glad you like it, I had not done it either, I always use the matte finish, because when in "the afterlife" I made models, I painted them with a brush (of course, who had money for an AB and a compressor ... lol), and I was very angry about the that it was shiny and that the brushstrokes were visible, so I was obsessively looking for the matte finish.
Now, after seeing other models, which gave a metallic feeling, I decided to "risk", although with satin, and I liked the result.
Yes, the cable is more used than it should be, but as I said before, in wartime, is everything as it should be? ... even so I will keep it in mind for the future.
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

• Like 1

That's turned out very well indeed Francis. It looked like an enjoyable kit to work on, I am looking forward to building my Honey version after watching your progress with this one.

Wayne

• Thanks 1

On 09/06/2020 at 19:32, robgizlu said:

Really nicely done - I have to say it looks a whole lot better with the white backgrounds

Rob

Hi Rob,

many thanks or your like and kind words, i'm glad you like it.

That is why I try to make two different colors for the background, the light reflected in it, makes the model change a little when it comes to seeing itself.
The white background is more difficult for me to treat, since it reflects all the light ...
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

On 09/06/2020 at 20:53, PlaStix said:

Hi Francis. I hope you are keeping well. That is a really beautifully well painted and weathered Stuart!! Exceptionally well done!! :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix,

many thanks for your like,folow and kind comments, i'm glad you like it.

I hope you are well too.

Cheers and TC

Francis. 👍

On 10/06/2020 at 13:32, phildagreek said:

Good job Francis, that’s a really nice finish you’ve achieved, well done mate.

Hi Phil,

many thanks for your kind words, i'm glad you like it,

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

Francis you've put up many great builds, this may be the best. The subtle dustings around the rivets, the slight rust forming in certain locations, some worn, exposed metal which hasn't rusted yet, faded paint, the tow cable is really well done. I could go on but you have the point, very nice presentation and build quality.

Thanks for posting and all the great photos. Gives us mere mortal average builders something to strive for 😉

Look forward to the next project, sooner rather than later please 🙃

Take care and all the best,

R.

• Thanks 1

On 10/06/2020 at 21:16, Badder said:

Hi Francis,

Great to see you back at the bench, and back with a bang.  You've done a great job.

The interior may not be easily visible, but with those large hatches open it would look naff without it. I think it's always better to have open hatches if one can, either with a figure (blocking the view of the interior) or to have an actual interior. With the size of a Stuart, it's not going to be a huge extra expense such as a full interior KT II which cannot be anything more than a display model.

You are right about the satin varnish making an AFV look more 'metallic', especially with green paints. I once made a Churchill and painted it matt, but didn't like the look. instead of applying a coat of satin varnish I tipped a couple of heaped table spoons of talc on it then used a stiff brush to rub it in. That 'polished' the paint. Areas that would see heavy wear I polished more, and those with low wear, less. It also meant that I could apply washes without using a gloss varnish... very handy.

Will we be seeing your Stuart in a diorama?

TC

Rearguards,

Badder

Hi Badder,

many thanks for your like, follow and kind words, i'm glad you like it.

I love your expression to comment on my "return", a "bang", very in tune with the subjects at hand ... lol
The truth is that I really wanted to do something, and as soon as I could, well there is ...
Having a fairly complete interior, I decided to do it, I practice, and it gives a little value to the work.
As always, your homemade tricks surprise me (in a good way, of course), I write it down to try it on some occasion.
I do not know if it will have a base, it is very small, but the space to put them on display finished, is already being a problem (more pronounced by the bases of the Chief and the Stug ...)
All the best for you and yours and TC
Francis.👍