Testors/Hawk Laird Solution

A relatively simple and stress-free build. I gave it some cockpit detail, which photos have fallen prey to a careless tidy up. so no WIP. 

Laird-solution_3

I also replaces t he moulded in engine detail with a resin Wasp Junior, which I think is an improvement. It fit with only a small amount of plastic drinding.

Laird-solution_5

Laird-solution_2 Laird-solution_1

The black paint was Humbrol gloss, diluted and applied with a soft brush. The decals are awful and I didn't manage to clean all the milky scum from the serial number, dammit.

The rigging was SBS flat wire. I bought two sets, one destined for my Tiger Moth.

The other provided rigging for the Laird and I think there'll be enough for my Curtis as well, I hope. It would be great if they'd just do a 'generic' set, lots of wire in a couple of sizes, cut to fit anything.

I would point out, however, that stainless etch is a bit of a bugger to cut from the sheet.

Anyway, there it is

Thanks for looking

F

• Like 14

I remember that kit from many long years ago. Nice work making it very presentable. You can be proud of that one.

Thank you all for the comments. It was mostly a fun build, mind you sanding off the raised decal markings took a bit of effort :). Hawk/Testors kits were a part of my youth. Hawk did a Temco TT1, I remember it as a cool kit among others. I'd love to find a reasonably priced Travelair Mystery Ship, but so far only on e-bay in America. I rather like racers and Schneider cup racers in particular. I have an AMG S5 which I think is going to be a bit of a challenge...

F

10 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

Hey seadog, I thought you might enjoy seeing my stash of 1/48 Testors/Hawk classics.   These are all I have collected so far, of course, along with the Howard "Ike" I've posted here at BM.

Cheers! 🍺

CDQHeLx.jpg

gX8YkHz.jpg

Hi Gary

Great collection you have lined up !  Is the Spad ex Aurora ?

Wulfman

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

Hey seadog, I thought you might enjoy seeing my stash of 1/48 Testors/Hawk classics.   These are all I have collected so far, of course, along with the Howard "Ike" I've posted here at BM.

Cheers! 🍺

CDQHeLx.jpg

gX8YkHz.jpg

Nice! I see you have a Mystery Ship...envy...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Nice work! :clap2:

Can you show us a cockpit shot?

I love those kits for their subjects!

Ok, fortunately I haven't glued on the canopy, which made this a bit easier - 

Laird-solution_7

Laird-solution_6

A fairly simple effort. There is no structural detail visible on photos of the real thing, the sidewalls being lined.

• Like 1

Nice work. I did one for the Inter-War GB a few years ago. Agree with your comment on the decals, they need a lot of work to get the gunge off them.

2 hours ago, seadog said:

Nice! I see you have a Mystery Ship...envy...

Thank you sir!   Actually, I have two Mystery Ships...the first one I bought was in a vertical box.   I actually started that one and botched the paint work straight away.  I seem to recall removing the enamel with mineral spirits and frosting the plastic.   Eventually, I came across the one seen in the pic here and bought it for a replacement.  Cheers!  😀

3 hours ago, AndyC said:

Nice work. I did one for the Inter-War GB a few years ago. Agree with your comment on the decals, they need a lot of work to get the gunge off them.

I know  :) I read it when I started mine. Yours is ver nice indeed

• Like 1