Fantastic Plastic Space Station V from 2001: A Space Odyssey --- New Images

14 hours ago, glueman said:

Wow, that is such a fantastic build and presentation.  Well done Sir!!!!

I may get round to finishing mine off one day.  Hope it turns out as good as yours!!

Thanks for the kind words!

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hamiltonian-This is an excellent build of what appears to be a difficult kit.  The photos are outstanding as well.  Thanks so much for posting this.  I have always been an admirer of this space station, but you never see anyone post images of it.  Great work!

Phillip1

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, phillip1 said:

Hamiltonian-This is an excellent build of what appears to be a difficult kit.  The photos are outstanding as well.  Thanks so much for posting this.  I have always been an admirer of this space station, but you never see anyone post images of it.  Great work!

Thanks.

It's certainly an awkward kit to assemble, and needs a bit of repair work to the parts, too.

I seem to have got lucky with the photographs, which turned out better than my usual efforts. If only I knew how I'd done it, I'd do it again.

You managed to achieve a truly excellent build from this kit.  Certainly not an easy build with many challenges, I now fully understand what you went through.  Your WIP has been so very helpful in my work on this kit.   Thank you!

Bill

• Thanks 1

On 10/3/2022 at 3:19 AM, Jeddahbill said:

You managed to achieve a truly excellent build from this kit.  Certainly not an easy build with many challenges, I now fully understand what you went through.  Your WIP has been so very helpful in my work on this kit.   Thank you!

Bill

Well, thanks for the kind words.

It's a doozy, isn't it? But worth the effort, I think, and yours seems to be going very well.

• Like 1

• Hamiltonian changed the title to Fantastic Plastic Space Station V from 2001: A Space Odyssey --- New Images
On 6/7/2020 at 11:53 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Excellent finish with this one. :worthy:... It was a great build to follow and well worth it. It would be a great photo if you know how to use photo-shop. I wonder if you could take a photo of the finished build and superimpose it over stars or the earth in the background.

Well, it took me a couple of years, but I eventually got around to producing some composite images as you suggested. I've appended them to my OP in this thread.

I finally found some software that suited me, while fiddling around preparing images against a starry background for my recent build of the Discovery spacecraft.

So I got a bit more ambitious and went for Space Station V, too.

• Like 1

These composite photos are beautiful!  Really captures the look of Space Station V in orbit around Earth.  Your build of this challenging kit inspired me to overcome my reluctance and take the plunge!  Looking forward to a larger scale styrene kit - perhaps Moebius is listening?  A real step into madness would be a large scale scratch built SSV - tempting . . . .

Bill

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Great bit of photo sorcery there. 

Thanks. I used a bit of software called PhotoScissors, which seems to be quite good at differentiating between foreground and background, and which includes a couple of very basic tools to let you patch up any errors once the algorithm has done its stuff. I quite like simple software that does one task, rather than having to wade through the menus of something like Photoshop to find what you want, and then spend an hour learning what all the little sliders and buttons do.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jeddahbill said:

These composite photos are beautiful!  Really captures the look of Space Station V in orbit around Earth.  Your build of this challenging kit inspired me to overcome my reluctance and take the plunge!  Looking forward to a larger scale styrene kit - perhaps Moebius is listening?  A real step into madness would be a large scale scratch built SSV - tempting . . . .

Glad you like the photos. I decided I had to do some sort of composite for the lighted photos of my Discovery, because there was a lot of background clutter caused by my efforts to scatter light on to the model without overwhelming its interior lights---hence the starry background in several shots on the RFI thread for that model. But the software worked so well at cutting the model out of the background, I thought Hmmm, this might be worth a try with Space Station V. I was impressed at how well PhotoScissors picked out the girder work, with only a little tidying needed from me.

I'm also glad to have inspired you to undertake your own lovely build. It does feel very much like "taking the plunge" to embark on this kit, doesn't it?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Great work, the clean finish looks good. As scales increase, even small imperfections appear larger, you have done a very neat job. with resin, which can be blobby.  I think you will find, heavily under-exposed picture, or lowering the picture brightness in edit helps to make small items look bigger. There is no fixed guide, if it looks right, then you've got it .

The 4K release of the movie , taking snaps from the screen and printing helps.

Ive had a go at the Space Pod, Luna Models and Moebius Discovery and Mobeius Moon bu and clipper.  The pod has all the 6 displays fully working now, done using Arduino computers and little colour displays. Ive also done a 1/4 size scale HAL 9000, using the same  computers.  Those took three months programming.

Martin

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, oldmodeler said:

Great work, the clean finish looks good. As scales increase, even small imperfections appear larger, you have done a very neat job. with resin, which can be blobby.  I think you will find, heavily under-exposed picture, or lowering the picture brightness in edit helps to make small items look bigger. There is no fixed guide, if it looks right, then you've got it .

The 4K release of the movie , taking snaps from the screen and printing helps.

Ive had a go at the Space Pod, Luna Models and Moebius Discovery and Mobeius Moon bu and clipper.  The pod has all the 6 displays fully working now, done using Arduino computers and little colour displays. Ive also done a 1/4 size scale HAL 9000, using the same  computers.  Those took three months programming.

Martin

Thanks for the tips.

I actually used a couple of screenshots of the 4K movie when making my Discovery model---it was the only way I could check the "real" appearance of the dish antennae, which Moebius gets wrong.