Revell 1/144 747 Retro BOAC Livery

Hi Folks,

Seeing as all my travel this year has been cancelled, I thought I'd do this, it's my attempt at the Revell Boeing 747-400, finished in the retro centenary BOAC scheme. It's my first airliner since I made a terrible job of their Concorde when I was at middle school! Just a couple of key things for you all to ignore: the engines are wrong, I've kept the kit versions instead of getting the correct resin ones; I've missed the white patches above the logos on the engines, I tried for two hours to get them right, and in the end reverted to just not having them; I've not filled in the nose with blue where the decals finish, I was never going to be able to match the colour, and the decals have a good clean edge which looks neat and tidy. Oh, and the seams are far from my best work. But for me, it's a 747, and I really miss flying...

It's the KLM boxing from the early nineties, painted using Halfords cans of gloss white and Racking Grey (for the Boeing Grey), the Coroguard is Vallejo medium sea grey with a dash of dull aluminium. The decals are from 26Decals and were great to work with. I really want to do a BA 777 but can't get the decal set anywhere, might have to settle for a 380 instead. Anyway, here's a couple of pics, thanks for looking.

y4mVfw_7cIudH2ZRY1ViSixabhPGYizohMVQN6fM

y4m_5PB10DnOIqjmxKLM7TF0OYmK6JsdyKk9VL8u

y4mrLzVdBMMgldje1Rgh8fo2dHrtGCAfvOYHYsIO

• Like 41
  • Thanks 3

A very attractive model. I suspect most folks wouldn't recognize the errors you mentioned because they're too caught up in the beauty of your model. Certainly nothing to be critical about there, as far as I can see.

I am sure there may be rivet counters out there only too pleased to notice and point out your errors, but the vast majority of us just see a beautiful model in a classic scheme.

• Like 4

I prefer military aircraft until I saw this beautifully done 747.  It makes me want to build one now.  The in-flight mode is a great way to display the iconic 747.  :clap2:

Mike

Wrong engines or not, this is a beautiful rendition of my favourite airliner in my favourite scheme!

A very nice job - and it wouldn't look out of place on Willie Walsh's desk :)

Tom

Hi, Just beautiful, engines or not .I flew on the original BOAC B747-100's several times in the early 1970's. It really is the best scheme! I have the 26 Decal sheet for one of those and treated myself to an Authentic Airliners kit for them to go one.

Hannants do a sheet for the BA B777, but it may not be the scheme you want:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X44001?result-token=p9ATl

26 did a sheet for the current scheme, but it is sold out.

David

7 hours ago, HKGBravo1 said:

Hi, Just beautiful, engines or not .I flew on the original BOAC B747-100's several times in the early 1970's. It really is the best scheme! I have the 26 Decal sheet for one of those and treated myself to an Authentic Airliners kit for them to go one.

Hannants do a sheet for the BA B777, but it may not be the scheme you want:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X44001?result-token=p9ATl

26 did a sheet for the current scheme, but it is sold out.

David

Hannants (under xtradecal) also released the Chatham Scheme for the 777-236.

I have that sheet and will be getting back to my build once I finish my SIA 777-212

Hi Folks, 

Many thanks for all the positive comments, I'm definitely encouraged to have a crack at another airliner now! However, I've just started on the HKM Lancaster so it could be some time! 

Many thanks!

Wrong engines or not...completed nose or not...you absolutely SHOULD pursue another airliner. With skills displayed in this build, you should move on ahead, and tackle resin corrections and paint mixing to match (BTW, Revell did provide the Rolls Royce engines in one of BA liveried kits). Very nice job here. The Revell 747 isn’t an easy bird to complete, but with some elbow grease and patience,  she comes out beautifully. Love this model, and love this livery! Very nice job indeed. :wink:

2 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Hi There,

This was my view from Terminal 5 at Heathrow on my way to New York last year.

6GWGcAq.jpg

Yours looks every bit as good as the real thing.

Cheers,

Alistair

Much better than my LHR photo op!!!

y4mmOZveXCyO26XoOnOhEDVz3TEvnFVWPksScQDx

• Like 1