Sikorsky S-61N - cross section frame drawings?

Hi folks,

I am planning to scratchbuild a Sikorsky S-61N helicopter but am lacking some details.  I have plenty of Plan and Profile diagrams but do not have any cross-section views, which would be needed for me to get the contours and dimensions right.  Can anyone here help with such information, measurements and frame/cross-section plans please?

cheers

Mike

True, it is a stretched sea king of sorts; however, it has a more acutely angled tail and othersubtle changes.  I'm not doing a conversion of a kit, this is a scratchbuild, therefore I would like to find out, if possible, where the contours change etc.

Mike

Probably, if I can get enough data together.  I've joined a couple of GB's which need to be completed first; however, I am using this time to collect the info on the S-61N in readiness.

cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

ABC and CBA  (commonly used in military circles.... All Been Changed and Changed Back Again)

I had a chat with a friend in the USA about this and he said, if I provided the drawings and other reseatch details then he would draw it in CAD for me.  I sent the stuff off and, not only did he do the drawings but he has also produced a kit of it in 3D printed resin.

spacer.png

I shall still do a WiP but it will be a build of this kit, rather than the faff of having to cut loads of plastic.

chers,

Mike

• Like 14

Hi BM,

Yes, he produces quite a few fixed and rotary wing kits now.  His name is Russ Dutnell, he lives in Oklahoma, USA, and can be contacted by email at rdutnell (at) ou.edu 

He is a one-man-band; designing, drawing, printing and sellling from home.  I see that you are in Eire, so you might be pleased to note that his S-61N Coastguard model is based on EI-MES Garda Costa na hEireann

These are some of the models he produces:

S-61N Coast Guard/Coastguard - includes FLIR and FLIR console, spotlight, winch and domed observer windows

spacer.png

S-61N civilian.  Includes single and double passenger seats and shut or open doors. The aft open door has stairs and rails.

spacer.png

Sikorsky HH-3E Jolly Green Giant U.S.A.F. - HH-3F Pelican U.S.C.G.  Includes different nose radomes for each type

spacer.png

Bell 47 Sioux - includes both single and double type fuel tanks, square and rounded undercarriage skids, plus stretchers and hoods (MASH).

spacer.png

His fixed wing aircraft include:

Grumman E-1B Tracer

Gulfstream G550

F-4K/M Phantom (FG.1 and FGR.2)

Cessna O-2A Skymaster

Cessna 310 / U-3A USAF

North American OV-10A Bronco

North American B-45 Tornado

Send him an email, he's a lovely guy and would be pleased to hear from you.

cheers,

Mike

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NavyWessex said:

That resin 3D print in 1/144 looks brilliant.

Yes, you can see by the shine on those items in the photo' how smooth the print is.

The clear resin is good also.  Although this is a different model, his 1:144 scale Bell 47 Sioux, it does show how clear the resin is.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Mike

• Like 3

The FG.1 and FGR.2 set was the first 3D printed kit I ever bought and it just blew me away.  It is highly detailed, with over 45 parts, plus 28 payload parts

spacer.png

I thought it was worth it just for the included payloads set

spacer.png

Mike

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, wellsprop said:

https://drawingdatabase.com/westland-sea-king/

I know this is for a Sea King, but if you were to overlay this with an S61 side profile, you would be able to get the section views more or less in the right place. I think you'd be very hard pushed to notice the inaccuracy at 144 scale.

The cross sections are identical between Sea King and S-61N (but not S-61NM). The top of the fuselage changes cross section quite significantly under the engine air intakes, being much squarer up top ahead of the air intakes (section A on the link you shared) which is also the cockpit rear bulkhead. The S-61N (and all other models with longer fuselage) has a plug inserted between where the Sea King's "Section A" is shown and the cockpit bulkhead; i.e. it still transitions from Section B aft to  Section A going forwards in the same place under the air intakes and the extension plug is all Section A shaped. I hope that makes some sense!

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Has anybody purchased any of these 1/144 kits recently? I forwarded an email (above) looking to purchase a Coast Guard S-61N and HH-3 Pelican but no reply so far. Would be great to have the opportunity to build both helicopters in this scale.  Thanks.

BM.

I spoke to Russ last week and he tells me that he is fully committed to his day jobs at the moment.  He is a professor at a university in Oklahoma, teaching CAD; plus he does consultancy work for the Oklahoma environmental services.  The environmental work takes him all over the states of Oklahoma and Texas, surveying river watersheds and so his model producing time is on the back burner. probably until the Autumn.

cheers,
Mike

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
On 15/08/2020 at 07:28, bootneck said:

ABC and CBA  (commonly used in military circles.... All Been Changed and Changed Back Again)

I had a chat with a friend in the USA about this and he said, if I provided the drawings and other reseatch details then he would draw it in CAD for me.  I sent the stuff off and, not only did he do the drawings but he has also produced a kit of it in 3D printed resin.

spacer.png

I shall still do a WiP but it will be a build of this kit, rather than the faff of having to cut loads of plastic.

chers,

Mike

Good work with the 3D print - but I noticed that the diagonal truss tube is wrong. It should go from the fuselage forward top end attachment down to the lower aft sponsons attachment point.

Cheers 

Soren