Lysander Special Edition Eduard

Hi friends

As announced at the end of the wip on the 109 captured here I open the wip immediately.
The RealColor set dedicated to camo in temperate climates arrived last week together with the kit and the upgrade set From Eduard
For now there is only box art shortly the photos of the first progress

spacer.png

The version will be those in the box art
For interior green  any tip?
Thanks in advance for any help

• Like 4

Hi There,

Tamiya XF-71 also known as Tamiya IJN Cockpit Green I believe is a close match.

That's for acrylic of course for enamels I would use Colourcoats RAF Interior Grey Green which is spot on but I don't know if you'll be able to get it in Italy.

Cheers,

Alistair

Hi everyone .
Thanks for the comments and I'm glad I caught your attention, here is the progress made so far.
The kit is not for beginners in fact it is a Gavia rebox so it has all trouble typical of shortrun like no pin and some not entirely precise couplings.
In itself, the kit has 2 plates of P.E., 1 color dedicated to the dashboard and instrumentation of the cockpit, the other to the structural parts of both the cockpit and the rest of the plane, as regards the upgrade set, much is concentrated on the cockpitt and some external details.
The assembly then crosses over 2assembly guide which often overlap at the sequence level.
But let's get to the photos that I know are the ones that interest you most
PILOT'S SEAT

This element is divided into 2 parts the seat in P.E. to be folded without any reference as regards the shape for which you have to make tests, the second part in plastic which is not at all convincing as regards the cushions (too rigid) for which I put my hand.
The work was done with brass wire for the structure and Magic Sculpt for the cushion.
The latter is not yet finished as I have to wait for it to dry and then refine the shapes and soften the folds and add the back
here are the various steps.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The structure of the pedal and the seat support

spacer.png

COCKPIT FRAMES

These are the pieces that have undergone the most massive upgrade, in fact the upgrade set contains several parts for these 2 pieces, some are part of the P.E. of the kit

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

MAIN TANK

This is one of the pieces that, as I said, are a bit problematic, there are no pins and the union between the 2 pieces leaves a seam that must then be sanded, however, I know that I have to go there because it is too basic and the sealing straps they are wrong and since it is a piece that remains very visible you cannot leave it like this.
And I said to myself, I make an easy easy model to distract myself 🤣

Bye and

Stay Tuned

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone, I'm back after a somewhat complicated period due to the excess of work (fortunately the covid19 did not influence my sector very much), however, I continued my work on the lysander so go with photos and descriptions.
PILOT'S SEAT
As mentioned in the first episode, the seat did not convince me because of the stiffness of the cushion so I had started the renovation works which at the first attempt did not convince me at all, so armed with holy patience I started all over again with.
First trouble: the pixies who live in my laboratory gave a party and since a chair was missing they stole the PE  seat so I had to redo the piece.
Here is the result

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I asked Frank if it was okay and he said me : "Ok boss"

spacer.png

These are some of the brass corpses that have copied themselves for the cause

spacer.png

R.I.P.

COCKPIT
The cockpit did not require major improvements apart from the seat and pedal unit, the replacement of the gunner seat, the classic seat belts, and the wiring of the dashboard as the rear remains very visible given the internal structure and the windshield really impressive.
The difficulty of assembly lies in the fact that the various frames must all be aligned, I personally glued the various sections in 4 phases so as not to have any surprises in the union of the 2 half-fuselages.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_it

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

FUSELAGE

The 2 valves, even if they do not have pins, are easy to close and have no defects; I started from the tail and then glued the rest taking care to match the various panels. There was almost no need  I used the Faller semi-liquid glue  which created me some melted plastic sausages that once dried, filled the various cracks (very few to be honest) and therefore I was able to sand without problems, there are some small details to add provided in the "update set", among which these inspection doors .

spacer.png

ENGINE
As for the engine there are not many indications, the body and the 9 cylinders are divided and I must say that the cylinders are very nice to be plastic, the P.E. provided by the kit add a detail that enhance it very much, the only drawback is the fact that I had to file my heads if it didn't enter the hood; not bad since it is an invisible detail.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I've used The black metal from ModelMaster , with the passage of a polishing cloth and drybrush in aluminum, always MM and rust for the exhaust manifold (which however is invisible)

GLASS

As mentioned before the windshield is really impressive so since I decided to keep the windows open, I also had to color the inside with a cockpit green because if passed from the outside before the color of the camo, the artifice that is very visible it is good for other types of planes, so with holy patience I also masked the inside.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The cockpit green is a mixture of Realcolor + Tamiya xf78 Japanese interior green in a 2: 1 ratio that gives a slightly greener touch to the color of AK
BAD NOTE:
Unfortunately, the side windows have a noticeable curvature that I have also found in some videos on youtube and it seems that it is precisely a printing defect (in fact, those who requested the replacement of the sprue were seen delivering the latter with the same defect).
One solution is to use hot water or a hair dryer to straighten the piece or as I did to redo the pieces with the Cad and cut them with the plotter. I have adopted this solution because, having decided to keep the windows open, I must necessarily cut the front parts which must be positioned lowered, revealing the excessive thickness of the plastic.
However, to paint the model in complete tranquility, I decided to use the pieces of the kit to safeguard the cockpit

this is the piece after heat treatment.
Unfortunately, to keep all the glazing closed you have to work a little to make the various parts fit together

This is the current state of the model, I glued the trolleys and the arms that support the wings but I have not glued the latter in when they are much more manageable if painted separately, like the rest of the plane.
Well that's all for now

Stay tuned

Edited by spartacus2000
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, spartacus2000 said:

ENGINE
As for the engine there are not many indications, the body and the 9 cylinders are divided and I must say that the cylinders are very nice to be plastic, the P.E. provided by the kit add a detail that enhance it very much, the only drawback is the fact that I had to file my heads if it didn't enter the hood; not bad since it is an invisible detail.

spacer.png

I've used The black metal from ModelMaster , with the passage of a polishing cloth and drybrush in aluminum, always MM and rust for the exhaust manifold (which however is invisible)

The pushrods on the front of the cylinders should be painted black, too.

36831477685_673bfdac8d_o.jpg

This is a Bristol Mercury on a Blenheim:

50102480131_f5e60d1b94_o.jpg

The pipes at the rear of the cylinders are not exhaust pipes but the fuel-air induction pipes from the carburetor. The exhaust pipes are on the front of the cylinders and go forward into the collector ring at the front of the cowling.

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone .
Here I am at the end of this adventure that for my character has been too long with stop times due to the excessive work of this period.
We had remained with the model almost completely assembled, while now you will see it finished, there are still a few tweaks but it is definitely finished ready to put on display.
I do not have photos of the intermediate steps of painting as there is definitely  not out of the ordinary: the usual preshading procedure, color (I used the tape to delimit the camo with sharp edges) and wathered done all in pastels.
for the canopy  I decided to use those provided by the kit as the thickness between the windscreen and the rest was much too evident, so I further straightened the sides and cut the part of the pilot area that I kept lowered.
But now the word to the photos that were taken with the phone due to camera problems (not that they would have come out better: r🤣🤣)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

That's all for now.
See you at the next wip that I don't know whether to continue with a bf109A me in Spain or a thunderchief in Vietnam

• Like 5