Revell 1/72 Halifax B. MkII/1a, 138 Sqn. Operation Anthropoid

Even though this build is well advanced I thought I would put it on as I'm between Group Builds!

Back when this kit had first come out my youngest daughter asked me what I would like for Christmas, unusual because she always never had any money, so I thought I would ask for this latest Revell offering.  I had just got back into modelling model aircraft after a long layoff and while perusing e**y I came across the AML set for this kit.

I was intrigued by the story of L9613 so decided to do that one.  The story of the operation can be found here : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Anthropoid

DSC_0009

I wasn't aware of issues with the kit around the engine necelles, and to be honest I wouldn't have been that bothered, but this just seemed an opportunity to build something a bit different, and it was a cheap deal at the time.

So, I've been fiddling with this for a few years now, firstly looking at the drawings you have to fill in some of the round windows and open up the side rectangular ones., this not explained in the instructions.  I looked at the clear sprue found what I assumed were those windows, I did wonder why they didn't quit fit the openings and opened them further!  I realised I had used the two upper fuselage windows, the side ones are not included in the kit as neither of the versions have them.

Oh, well, I would just have to scratch some from clear sheet, but a quick e-mail to Revell explaining what I had done and offering to pay for the windows had them send me a pair, no charge!

The following photo's show where I am up to now.  The fuselage almost ready to mask and paint. I have decided to fix the side windows and make them more to their actual width, just added some plasticard, letting them harden then a bit of filling and sanding down flush.

I think the resin parts have made a big difference, not just the radiator intakes, which fitted really well, but the other intakes as well, compare them to the original parts!  I haven't done anything to narrow the necelles, they'll do me fine.

I added a bit of filler to the exhaust parts as looking at photo's there is a bit of a fillet in the casting where the pipe comes out of the manifold.

I'm really enjoying this kit, everything has fitted superbly, even things I was worried about like the top and bottom blanking plates, the closed Bombay doors and the front turret/bomb-aimer nose glazing fitted flush, no sanding required.

Oh, I have the AML camo mask set which gives you the wavy demarcation this aircraft had 😉

More to follow soon.

Davey.

DSC_0015

DSC_0003 DSC_0013 DSC_0014 DSC_0016 DSC_0017 DSC_0018 DSC_0019

• Like 17

Agreed that the accessories do a lot for the kit, but it's a good job you aren't too bothered because other things would help too!  Like new wheels.  A couple of minutes with a file to round off the top corner of the fuselage ahead of the pilot also helps, and in nice and easy to do.  Although the transfer sheet's instructions don't show the curved shield for the "joe" hatch, the part is provided.

Pedantically, this is not a Mk.II series 1A but a series I.  Presumably the title survives from the kit labelling and options.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Agreed that the accessories do a lot for the kit, but it's a good job you aren't too bothered because other things would help too!  Like new wheels.  A couple of minutes with a file to round off the top corner of the fuselage ahead of the pilot also helps, and in nice and easy to do.  Although the transfer sheet's instructions don't show the curved shield for the "joe" hatch, the part is provided.

Pedantically, this is not a Mk.II series 1A but a series I.  Presumably the title survives from the kit labelling and options.

Hi Graham, the wheels are in the kit as well as replacement propellers. You'll have to excuse my ignorance (I'm more modeller than researcher, if you know what I mean!), I've only just googled what the "joe' hatch is! There is no shield to go round that, just two small guards for the tail-wheel.

Davey.

• Like 1

I'll have to have a look in the kit, for I'm pretty sure that there was one.  Unless (like the MK.V undercarriage) it is in the Mk.III, but I don't think so.  It is just a simple crescent going halfway round, so easy to make up.

No, I meant in the basic kit.  I'm rather surprised not to see it in the photo, perhaps it was only introduced after problems were identified with the simple hole, and as an early example it simply never got one.  It wasn't very big but would have been visible, as it is in other photos.

Parachutists at Ringway dropping out of a similar hole in the Whitley suffered from facial injuries from clipping the edge, often enough for it to be noticed.  Once the lower body came out this would be swept aft, and the parachutist, facing forward, smashed his face against the structure., 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

No, I meant in the basic kit.  I'm rather surprised not to see it in the photo, perhaps it was only introduced after problems were identified with the simple hole, and as an early example it simply never got one.  It wasn't very big but would have been visible, as it is in other photos.

Parachutists at Ringway dropping out of a similar hole in the Whitley suffered from facial injuries from clipping the edge, often enough for it to be noticed.  Once the lower body came out this would be swept aft, and the parachutist, facing forward, smashed his face against the structure., 

Ahh, my apologies, I thought you meant the resin set :banghead:

While we're about it, I forgot to drill the holes for the three pipes under each main wing (fuel dump?), but it has a question mark regarding these. Did all Merlin Halifax's have these, they can't be seen in that photo from that angle but I see them in shots of other aircraft from above.

Regards Davey.

• Like 2

They were removed to reduce drag as part of a refining campaign by HP to reduce excess weight and drag from items that were required by the Ministry but were not seen as necessary, at least not for all roles.  I would suspect that the aircraft was initially built with them but may have had them removed at some stage, possibly as part of preparation for long range operations but that's only a supposition on my part.  I think they would have been visible in the photo of NF.V in Egypt.

• Thanks 2

Lovely build, can't wait to see some paint bring it to life.

Interestingly there's a memorial to the brave Czech soldiers involved in one of the parks here in Leamington. I see it often and am always reminded of the incredible acts that earlier generations performed.

Edge

• Thanks 1

I've got these two Freightdog sets for the Revell Halifax.

49982685176_43093f5a6f_b.jpg

As for Mk.V undercarriage, the proper parts are supplied with both Revell Halifax kits. It's Part # 211.

Chris

• Like 1

On 08/06/2020 at 10:56, dogsbody said:

I've got these two Freightdog sets for the Revell Halifax.

As for Mk.V undercarriage, the proper parts are supplied with both Revell Halifax kits. It's Part # 211.

Chris

Wow! complete props! I've got to assemble the AML ones, might look to see if they are actually much better than the kit items 🤔

Davey.

29 minutes ago, DaveyGair said:

Wow! complete props! I've got to assemble the AML ones, might look to see if they are actually much better than the kit items 🤔

Davey.

Here's a comparsion of the 1/72 Halifax props that I have. The Revell props are not even close to right.

46765115425_271087d5fa_b.jpg

I was hoping that Colin at Freightdog would do a set of 4-bladers, but I don't think that's gonna happen.

Chris

On 10/06/2020 at 05:04, dogsbody said:

Here's a comparsion of the 1/72 Halifax props that I have. The Revell props are not even close to right.

I was hoping that Colin at Freightdog would do a set of 4-bladers, but I don't think that's gonna happen.

Chris

I just had a look in the box at the props, up till now I only noticed I had 3 and 4 blade props not knowing they were like paddles! Has the B.III got accurate props? I have one of those as well, as well another Merlin one to do. 

I was masking the glazing up when I came to do the bomb-aimers position and found that there were no bits for that, or the front turret! Turns out I had the wrong Eduard sheet, for the MK.II (I thought I was doing a Revell Mk II?) when I realised the box says B. Mk.I/II ! So, I could have struggled on and done the masking myself but all those curves and oval shapes put me off so have ordered a set for the Mk I. Apart from assembling turrets and some sanding around the cowlings not much more will be done. 

Stay tuned.

Davey. 

Nice job so far,..... and I love the additional details.

Not sure if it is of any use but I built the very same aircraft using the old Matchbox kit,.....and I chose to use early markinhs on one side and late on the other;

Good luck and all the best.... I look forward to seeing the finshed model,

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 11:02 PM, Edge said:

Interestingly there's a memorial to the brave Czech soldiers involved in one of the parks here in Leamington. I see it often and am always reminded of the incredible acts that earlier generations performed.

As an old Leamington lad I remember that, the fountain in Jephson Gardens, the old Czech Army in exile HQ was in the big building on the corner of Hamilton Terrace/Radford Road - I think.

Leamington was a real hodge podge of services during the war, I never realised the Navy's camouflage department was there too.

Dave

• Like 2

11 hours ago, tonyot said:

Nice job so far,..... and I love the additional details.

Not sure if it is of any use but I built the very same aircraft using the old Matchbox kit,.....and I chose to use early markinhs on one side and late on the other;

Good luck and all the best.... I look forward to seeing the finshed model,

Cheers

Tony

Just had a look at your build Tony, lovely job and I like the double identity idea.

Having recently got the B.III, after a quick look I noticed you get the solid nose, with a couple of small windows. I can't find a photo of a Mk III with this nose, just the B.Mk II Special, and yet it's not in the Mk II kit?

Davey.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

Just had a look at your build Tony, lovely job and I like the double identity idea.

Having recently got the B.III, after a quick look I noticed you get the solid nose, with a couple of small windows. I can't find a photo of a Mk III with this nose, just the B.Mk II Special, and yet it's not in the Mk II kit?

Davey.

Yes, Revell ( again ) messed this up. Why would you include a part that was never fitted to the version of kit you are selling, but not put it in the kit of the other version that did use it? A mystery to me! I bought a Freightdog nose for my kit before the B.III kit came out.

Chris

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got the correct Mask set in post recently so finished masking the nose and then started with paint.  Used 'Ultimate' Black primer for the lowers, which I forgot to take a photo of, wouldn't be very interesting anyway!  I though I would give one of these camouflage masking sets a go so got an AML one, mainly for the wavy demarcation along the fuselage sides.  They're vinyl so constantly start to peel off in awkward contour places so no doubt will have some touching in to do.  Letting the (Vallejo ModelAir) Dark Earth harden overnight and then on with the masks to do the Dark Green.

Davey.

DSC_0005 DSC_0006 DSC_0007 DSC_0008

• Like 4

Did the Dark Green after applying the AML masks. They worked ok, some lifting which vinyl masks tend to do, there was also some bleed into the panel lines but apart from that saved lots of time trying to get the 'wiggly' demarcation done, and can be used again! i need to gently rub down the edges of the fuselage demarcation as there is a ridge from paint build up.

The wings aren't glued on yet. I'll do the decals and gloss coat first, I always end up with some damage to the fragile Acrylic paintwork with handling!

Davey.

DSC_0009 DSC_0010 DSC_0011 DSC_0012

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Got the I was doing Botha finished so cracking on with this one.

I have applied the decals and gloss coat.  Still yet to glue the wings and tail-fins on.  The decals were very fragile and a couple broke up but finally got them done, good job there aren't many.

I masked and painted the gun turrets. Are the entry hatches into the rear turret glazed? I'm sure the front isn't but thought the rear would be the same. Eduard have you mask them off. They aren't quite correct with the front turret from what I can tell from photo's, I cut the front lower sides into the diamond shape seen on these, also there doesn't seem to be glazing on the rear lower sides, if anyone knows better feel free to comment, I'm not 100% on this.

Assembled the guns, got to finish painting. The AML wheels look much better than the kit ones after a shot of primer.  Got the main gear in and realised I forgot to paint the shiny pistons!

Davey.

DSC_0006 DSC_0007 DSC_0008 DSC_0009 DSC_0010 DSC_0011

• Like 1