'After Beda' 2RTR 9th Feb 1941

The finished scene for my Bronco A13 MkIV. 

I've based this on an image in George Forty's book '7th Armoured Division-The Desert Rats' published by Spearhead. It showed a crew of 2RTR relaxing after the battle of Beda Fomm in which they knocked out 20 Italian tanks. 

The groundwork was plaster of paris with woodland scenic talus sprinkled on- I may add some sand later to try and hide the joins of the tracks to the base which aren't the best. The tarp and some of the bedding rolls were made from tissue paper soaked in diluted pva. The figures standing on the tank were from miniart's british winter tank crew and the kneeling figure in the shelter was spare from a Tamiya Churchill kit I tried years ago-good to find a use for it after all these years! I was struggling to find figures that matched the picture I was working from and strange as may seem to use the winter kit for the desert, looking at the picture they are all wearing pretty heafty gear including the leather jerkin- the desert is cold overnight and it is February. 

You'll have to take my word on it that the figures faces look pretty good viewed normally but certainly come out differently when looked through a 300mm macro lens!

Thanks for looking

IMG_5935

IMG_5932

IMG_5942

IMG_5934

IMG_5943

IMG_5945

IMG_5947

IMG_5949

And some obligatory B&W shots:

IMG_5942-2

IMG_5943-2

• Like 26

3 minutes ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

I really like this scene, because it looks so natural and believable. 

Thanks, it was a great pic to work from 

Really nice diorama and well done on managing to build the Bronco A13 MkIV. I started that kit and got as far as the individual track links before the whole thing came undone and I gave up.

I like that the tarp is the first thing up and the chap is clearly getting a brew on for his opos.  Great diorama - given me some ideas for something I'm going to do soon,

On 07/06/2020 at 16:57, sanfrandragon said:

Nice diorama, I like the folds in the tarp, it hangs very naturally, also the figures look good too and I agree the desert can be a cold place at night so the heavy clothing is just right.  

Thank you 

19 hours ago, Gordon J said:

Really nice diorama and well done on managing to build the Bronco A13 MkIV. I started that kit and got as far as the individual track links before the whole thing came undone and I gave up.

Yes I agree that the tracks were a bit of a chore to get through! Glad you like the scene. 

1 hour ago, Alpha Juliet said:

I like that the tarp is the first thing up and the chap is clearly getting a brew on for his opos.  Great diorama - given me some ideas for something I'm going to do soon,

Thanks, nice to think I gave a little inspiration. Yes def getting a brew on- don't waste the down time!

56 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

Love it.  The sensitive-looking chap with the pipe - and the eyebrows - looks as if he's just spotted a particularly intriguing beetle on the turret roof.

Ha, yes he definitely has some eyebrows! Maybe he's watching the eggs cook....