Academy F-86 Sabre 1/48 in special scheme

Hi folks

It was very hot the last days in Oldenburg, so i didnt get many mojo to sit on my work bench. But last night and this morning i did some work, coz the temperature goes low a bit.

-On the wings are holes for the fences, but i didnt found any pic where i can see fences on the target tug F-86, so i filled it up the holes with plastic sprues.

- I also drilled holes at the pre marked air vents to get more depht.

- Then i repaired the sunk panel on below fuselage

- i also assembly the housing for the HUD display

- some areas needed Mr. Surfacer 500

dscf5347h1jyv.jpg

dscf5350vck85.jpg

dscf5351kwj8a.jpg

dscf5353wrjo0.jpg

dscf53557ekb2.jpg

dscf53561qjpl.jpg

dscf53523gj7f.jpg

dscf5357p3koi.jpg

dscf5358hkkwi.jpg

Edited by Harry Callahan
  • Like 2

Great work there Werner. I really like the level of detail in your presentation. It's almost like being there with you and looking at how the model develops.

Really nice so far! Looking forward to see her in paint mate

• Thanks 1

Nice work Werner, I am making the Hasegawa F86F with Eduard upgrades, not dissimilar to yours. I feel for you with work problems. I have the best job ever, retired! Just imagine your boss sitting on the toilet with his trousers around his ankles, have a good laugh, used to work for me!  😀

• Thanks 1

@nasosrr....thank you for your kind comment. Im excited too about the later paint job

@Aerofix...you can be happy, you're already retired, i wished im too. But 10 years more......then yyippeeahhh. I was really laughing about your comment, so funny

• 2 weeks later...

Hi friends

I dont know what happened with me, but i cant find my mojo, less feel for modelling last time....so i managed just to primer the Sabre with Tamiya white Primer out of the can. But even this little step, i dont want hide it for you all, so here it is.

dscf535951kwa.jpg

dscf5360qrj2l.jpg

dscf5361xbj8z.jpg

• Like 4

Hi mates

This morning i woke up at 6.30am, very early for a sunday right? So i was thinking what can i do now,maybe still laying in bed and playing with the tablet, but the tablet was low battery, ok so i got the idea to go to my work bench and start the pre shading on the Sabre.

My plan is, to make a worn used look at the Sabre, even she was just a target tug and really clean, but i dont like clean models. So i used Vallejo yellow ochre and dark mud and make the pre shading, and i am excited now how will it works later if i paint her in yellow.....surprise.....surprise

dscf5363alkgn.jpg

dscf5364t6kp7.jpg

dscf5365cnjsw.jpg

dscf5366o1jmx.jpg

• Like 2

Hi mates

Here i want share to you what i did yesterday. I made the paint job with Tamiya XF-3 yellow in three thin layers. After dry i sand it with micro mesh ultra fine. Nice to see the pre shading is good working.

next step will be another layer of yellow.

dscf5367eyjvu.jpg

dscf5368ovkdo.jpg

dscf5369qckeh.jpg

dscf5370vvkqq.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Markus

Thank you for your kind comment, as you know yellow colour is not easy to handle or to make it interesting look, but i try my best. Its my first aircraft in complete yellow colour.

@mackem01.....thank you too, the first three layers was pure XF-3, so it dried very rough, thats why i have to sand it, my final layer gets a bit Tamiya clear to the yellow, to get a fine surface.

in little steps my mojo comes back, hope it will stay.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi mates

Finally i found time again to work at my Sabre. I didnt share to you the fourth layer of yellow paint, coz to boring.

So this morning i am  masking the entire model for the NMF paint job, what will start soon with a Black primer and filler 757 of AK . 

dscf5371f2jyb.jpg

dscf5372vlj4e.jpg

dscf5373fsjxs.jpg

dscf53749ej8d.jpg

dscf53759fjzm.jpg

As you can see, the upper wing gets paint in yellow except the slats, the lower wing is painted in natural metal complete.

• Like 6

Very nice work on your model. The cockpit console detail is excellent, the white primer showed the quality of your plastic work which is very good. You've done a really nice job painting the yellow (yellow for me is hard to paint well) and your overall progress is excellent. This is a fun build to watch.

• Thanks 1

Hi mates

So just a little update what i did this morning, all areas what will be in NMF later, i painted it in Black Primer and Filler 757 of AK. The primer is very good and dry quickly, three thin layers i add on.

dscf53766xkdc.jpg

dscf537778jvp.jpg

dscf5378aija7.jpg

dscf5379knj5m.jpg

dscf5380wmj26.jpg

• Like 5

Hi friends

Today a little update again. After priming the areas with Black Primer and Filler by AK, i apply thin coats of white Aluminium by Alclad II. So far im happy with the result.

As you can see, the air intake have a step of construction issue, so im forced to use the F.O.D. cover to hiding this step later.

A little note, from august 5th to august 12th im in vacation on the island Rügen at the Baltic Sea. After that i will going on this build report.

Thank you for your attention.

dscf538146jqp.jpg

dscf5382wak8m.jpg

dscf53830rkpr.jpg

dscf5386l6jlx.jpg

• Like 3

Hi mates

I dont wanna go in vacation before to posting an update here. So what can i say? Well the Sabre is going to looking good for my taste, ok some overspray here and there but its repairable.. Instead to use the blue decals, i paint the blue areas with XF-8, the white stripes as well. Some white stripes are still missing, maybe i will do it this afternoon or after the vacation, i dont know yet.

Coming step is to paint the wheel bays, also the bay doors.

dscf5387hyj3e.jpg

dscf5388i8ke7.jpg

dscf5389vqju8.jpg

dscf53904kjr8.jpg

dscf53916hkgl.jpg

dscf5392zijf9.jpg

dscf5394lxkiq.jpg

dscf5395m1k05.jpg

dscf53966wkbg.jpg

dscf53974gkvx.jpg

dscf539891jj7.jpg

dscf53990jjyp.jpg

dscf5401zjjns.jpg

dscf5393d9ks0.jpg

dscf5400yzka1.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Hi mates

so, even its really hot here in Oldenburg, i want use my free time to share to you an update.

I painted all white stripes, except the white stripes on the nose, here i used the decals for. The Academy decals was easy to work with and with a little help by Microscale Set+Sol it looks almost perfect.

I also paint the wheel bays, made as mix from XF-4 and XF-5.

Ok coming steps are going to  paint the oversprays issues and wheels and suspension.

dscf5476lck4f.jpg

dscf5477tskwz.jpg

dscf5478eekem.jpg

dscf5479u5jox.jpg

dscf5480xbjck.jpg

dscf5481cnj6x.jpg

dscf54820sjdm.jpg

dscf5483p6jet.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Hi mates

Today its time for another update. After two layers of AK Gloss Varnish i have decaling the entire aircraft. But what i missed is the red band around the fuselage near to the root of the tail, it was not content in the box nor on the decal sheet of Euro Decals, well i have to search in my spare box later if i have this still.

After decaling i gave two layers of glass varnish again.

Next step is a panelline wash.

dscf5484m3kze.jpg

dscf54855ekax.jpg

dscf54864sksk.jpg

dscf54871rkhz.jpg

dscf5488s8jml.jpg

dscf5489xcjxj.jpg

dscf5490jkjta.jpg

dscf54912yjjz.jpg

dscf5492mnka5.jpg

dscf5493cckok.jpg

dscf5494wgkmt.jpg

dscf5495dkkk8.jpg

• Like 4

Hi friends

I want just share to you the last update. So what have i done? Well, after the panelline wash of oilpaint Sienna Nature i sealed everything with two layers of Tamiya X-35 Semi Gloss Clear.

I think slowly the model start to live and im happy with the result.

dscf54966rktg.jpg

dscf5497pekit.jpg

dscf54986qkfs.jpg

dscf5499c4jjs.jpg

dscf5500bcjs6.jpg

dscf5501bij6m.jpg

dscf5502hdjvw.jpg

dscf5503uljit.jpg

dscf55044pjrv.jpg

dscf5505c3k2c.jpg

dscf5506sejpx.jpg

i hope you like it. Next step is to paint the tanks and assembly the landing gear

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...