Academy F-86 Sabre 1/48 in special scheme

Hi friends

I've been in this great britmodeller forum for a year now and i was thinking its time to make my own and my first build progress report here. Since im a huge fan of the F-86 Sabre i choose this one for my premiere, but not in typical NMF or any other camo scheme, no, i want make it in a flying target tug for the Montana Air National Guard at Nellis Air Force Base in 1955.

Long time i have these decals already in my cabinet and my fingers tingle now,so

here we go

Ok the experts of you do knowing the real one  was a F-86 A not a F-86F-30 what Academy shows, but there is not a,, A ,,on market, so excuse me to choose this one.

First i want start with some pictures to share to you what i mean.

dscf5249lcjeh.jpg

dscf5258i6kzx.jpg

dscf5259mpkkp.jpg

dscf5251g4kj8.jpg

dscf52501ujut.jpg

dscf5252k3k1c.jpg

dscf5253qyjax.jpg

dscf5254u8klj.jpg

dscf5255o7kjc.jpg

dscf5257zwjl5.jpg

As you can see many versions you can build with these decal sheet, and they all are very interesting look, so who knows what will comes later...........

ok i will come back later in the afternoon or evening, have to assembly now the cockpit

Edited by Harry Callahan
  • Like 4

Nice scheme. The F-86,I  think, is about as perfect as it gets. I shall enjoy watching this one blossom!

• Thanks 1

Hi Werner,

nice choice of markings. Most of the schemes I've never seen before, quite colourful.

So are you going to do a conversion into the "A" variant or just build as is?

Cheers

Markus

• Thanks 1

Hi mates

Well since im not  rivet counter i dont planning to convert into A version, its a lot of work and i want just have fun and joy at these build.

Thank you for the advice wez@, I'm not so far now for the paint job at the cockpit........just coffee and cake time here hehehehe.

3 minutes ago, Harry Callahan said:

Hi mates

Well since im not  rivet counter i dont planning to convert into A version, its a lot of work and i want just have fun and joy at these build.

Thank you for the advice wez@, I'm not so far now for the paint job at the cockpit........just coffee and cake time here hehehehe.

Well that's your choice Werner and I don't suppose most people would notice the difference between an A and an E or F if they weren't Sabre nuts.

Enjoy the cake and coffee!  The Wonderful Mrs Wez has made some raspberry flapjack which I shall be enjoying with a cup of tea later!

• Thanks 1

hey Sabrejet

Thank you so much for the picture you posted here. Are you sure that the wings are orange too?  Because my instructions says the entire wings are in NMF

At first I thought it was a reflection, but if you look closer on the right side of the jauntily posing young man it shows the upper part of the slats in the same colour pretty good.

16 minutes ago, Harry Callahan said:

hey Sabrejet

Thank you so much for the picture you posted here. Are you sure that the wings are orange too?  Because my instructions says the entire wings are in NMF

Yes - hence my note. Not sure if the undersides were orange too but I suspect they were.

• Thanks 1

I was sure too that's s reflection, but if one looks closer to the wings it seems to be orange too. So the decal instruction is wrong or the real plane got another paint job.

Hi friends

Today i want share to you what i did last evening and night. I assembled plasticard and fill up the holes in the gun bays of the fuselage to be able to get white glue and lead beads as balance weights.

I also put together the wings, tanks and the engine. One tank needs to get filled with putty.

I will not care a lot of attention to a realistic paint job at the engine, coz later you cannot see it well.

The fitting is good until here.

dscf5265ivks3.jpg

dscf5268aukqn.jpg

dscf5266m3k2u.jpg

dscf5267qsjtb.jpg

dscf5269ioj14.jpg

dscf5270kik2z.jpg

dscf5271epjxb.jpg

dscf5272wgju0.jpg

dscf5273lgk8y.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hello friends

im sorry i didnt feel for modelling the last days, coz too much Stress with my boss, so i was out of balance in my mind.

but yesterday i find time to sit on my work bench

so i prepared the engine with black primer to get a AK extreme coat later

i also assembly  the pilot figure, i turned the head to left side a bit. And i closed the gun bays and the air brakes

the cockpit gets paint too

dscf5303bwj9w.jpg

dscf5302z8krg.jpg

dscf5304udjtv.jpg

dscf53017kkb0.jpg

dscf53006kjur.jpg

dscf5299omjh4.jpg

• Like 3

Good progress: what is it about bosses? It's taken me many years to let that kind of garbage pass me by, but there are still times when I get stressed. Usually a good film, a good book or some good modelling is enough to take my mind off it. Hope things improve or your boss gets moved :) Keep smiling and think of the things in life that REALLY matter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, im working in a company it delivering all stuff for restaurants, mostly for turkish, kurdish, iranian restaurants, vegetables, flour, packages, cheese, and so on, my boss is an iranian guy who came in 30 years ago to Germany he dont have knowledge about human leadership, he dont know how to respect his workers, always in high temper, always his voice goes up at just a little mistake, he easily gets yelling, and even he make a mistake he is looking for someone he can blame to him or complain. we are only 6 workers there, im the only german there and working one year there already, but i dont know how long i will stay there.......................

thank you Sabrejet for your kind words

Edited by Harry Callahan
  • Like 1

Hi Werner,

good progress on your Sabre.

I can relate to your problems at work. One would think that in the current situation people would realise we are all sitting in the same boat but apart from emphasizing "solidarity" and "team spitit" in memos the dog-eat-dog mentality got even worse :(

I think the most important is to realise that such things are not meant personal. He would treat anybody else the same way. A good thing is that it forces you to question yourself if you really want to do that for a longer time or if there's a job which would be more fitting.

Ok, so now back to modelling ... :)

Cheers

Markus

• Thanks 1

Hi Markus

thank you for your kind comment too, much appreciate it, yes youre absolutely right, he treat everybody in our company in same way, but my mind is not so stable and hard, i cannot accept this way of treatment, only one exception is our storage master ( Lagermeister ) he is the only one who get fully respect of our boss, coz without him our company can be closed for ever, our storage master was a russian officer long time ago and came after the wall fall down to Germany, he is very intelligent and smart and clever, but also a very nice guy, he help me always and stand by me if i get problems, also my other co workers stand by me, if its were not so, i would already leave the company. 

Well im 55 now, 10 years more and i go in retired time, but i dont know yet if i stay in this company until retired time, well i will see.................

ok back to modelling now.

i have puttying the tanks  a bit.

dscf53057yjk8.jpg

Hi mates

Again i find time and mojo for modelling, and thats at 7.00am on sunday morning, sometimes im crazy........

so i assembly the cockpit tub into the fuselage half, gave the engine a paint job in different schades of AK Extreme colours. I didnt care to much for that, coz nothing is to see later.

dscf5326clj6m.jpg

dscf53270rkvb.jpg

dscf5328j3jaf.jpg

dscf5329lmjtl.jpg

dscf5330svjm6.jpg

dscf533139kc6.jpg

dscf5333chj2h.jpg

dscf5332d4jel.jpg

• Like 4

Hi mates

Slowly i come to the final assembly of the main parts. All in all i can say the fit is very good at this kit, ok some filler is needed but not so dramatic.

dscf5341nwj12.jpg

dscf5343k1k9d.jpg

dscf5344kjkip.jpg

dscf5345coj9m.jpg

dscf5346b9jp5.jpg

dscf5334ickg3.jpg

dscf53355ojz2.jpg

dscf53376kkrj.jpg

dscf53395pj7x.jpg

dscf5340z3k6t.jpg

• Like 4