++++ High speed Spitfire - Finished ++++

Not a high flying PR Spit or High Altitude version, or even a speed record breaker. As im awaiting canopy masks for my Seafires I thought I would see if I could build and finish one of these Hobbyboss kits while waiting. 

resized_bdf3ec29-82e7-4890-9779-da333504

Although simple they are well moulded and accurate, with a level of detail that would shame some mainstream makers. The cockpit is moulded into the one piece fuselage but it has seat and control column detail albeit simplified. Here are the contents. 

resized_972e5d50-7172-4704-9fd4-4ea4eb7e

Two little challenges, there are no undercarriage doors but I can either scavenge some from another kit where resin replacements have been used or there are 'closed' doors that can be adapted. Or even a few minutes with some plastic card. The other is filling the location for the bomb. I'll make mine a straight interceptor. 

Simple instructions and transfers for two options, one Dark Green/Dark Earth and one Dark Green/Ocean Grey. 

resized_11428f36-047c-48a9-bee1-6407d135

But the colour call call outs are seriously weird. I can almost understand the medium grey and light gull grey (but not the light green) for the 303 Squadron version but Light Gull Gray instead of Sky for the 317 Squadron option!

resized_edf296bc-ad4e-4220-8390-e5ed581d

• Like 1

Some paint on the internals and the airframe assembled

resized_1a2863ec-99b1-4e7d-b669-1cc12954

resized_6821aa81-bb7a-4d99-8e48-f5f4eadb

You can see the joins are really good. There was a tinyseam along the top of the cowling that needed sanding off and that took about two minutes. The wing fusealge joint is invisible and a little sanding and polishing will be needed along the rear fuselage join and possibly a tiny amount of filler at the rear of the wing root. 

resized_c97f0de1-725b-4bbf-bcef-2a86866a

• Like 4

Hi 825,

If I understand your previous comment correctly, HobbyBoss seem to have a problem with u/c doors - there were none on their P-40B/C either. The other problem was that the canopy on the P-40 and also on their Spit Vb with "Aboukir filter" was that the canopy was far too wide. Strange how the little things let them down, but perhaps these are early kits.

Cheers

Pete

If you have an Eduard kit somewhere, they have two sets of LG doors.
Or maybe ask in the Buy & Sell area? There's a wanted section.

3 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi 825,

If I understand your previous comment correctly, HobbyBoss seem to have a problem with u/c doors - there were none on their P-40B/C either. The other problem was that the canopy on the P-40 and also on their Spit Vb with "Aboukir filter" was that the canopy was far too wide. Strange how the little things let them down, but perhaps these are early kits.

Cheers

Pete

I've done one of these before and converted it into a Seafire. I made the doors from plastic card. This time round I've got a few options including the doors from a Mk 22 which have been replaced by some resin.  Your right the canopy is far too wide and I'll have to sort out a better option. I have around 30 Seafire and Spitfire boxings in the stash so I'll probably be able to sort something out.   

2 hours ago, alt-92 said:

If you have an Eduard kit somewhere, they have two sets of LG doors.
Or maybe ask in the Buy & Sell area? There's a wanted section.

Thanks @alt-92 but for a couple of Seafire doors, if I can't find anything in the stash it's not that difficult to sort something with plastic card. The canopy needs a little bit more work. 

Undersides painted and masked off. A first coat of Dark Green has been applied. 

resized_59be234a-4241-4085-a152-5546d367

Doesnt look that great but I've brushed on a thin coat of Xtracrylix thinned with Flow Improver and this is how the first coat always looks.  It'll improve with another couple of coats. 

• Like 1

One I'm keen to follow, I've several of these kit in stock & really rate them for shape & detail, though as you say, the U/C doors need finding, as do a decent prop & canopy. From memory there are some odd bumps under the wings need disappearing too.

Steve.

On 6/15/2020 at 12:20 AM, stevehnz said:

One I'm keen to follow, I've several of these kit in stock & really rate them for shape & detail, though as you say, the U/C doors need finding, as do a decent prop & canopy. From memory there are some odd bumps under the wings need disappearing too.

Steve.

I've found a decent prop in a Seafire MkIII boxing and there's a spare canopy there too so that should solve that problem. The prop starts to look OK but the blades are all wrong. They look like they're feathered. 

Anyway some more paint on and we're now ready for the Ocean Grey  resized_130f9a91-913f-4654-af0e-2c6754d3

• Like 3

Several coats of Ocean Grey on and masked up for the Fighter Command fuselage band and the yellow leading edges. 

resized_644d6ded-e596-4f89-b818-53e7b296

I've already put an undercoat of matt white on as both yellow and Sky can take a few coats to cover the darker colours. 

• Like 3

Painting done, unmasked and transfers on. The markings from the kit, along with a few stencils. The walkway stencils came from my MKIII Seafire kit as they weren't all used there because of the D Day stripes. I know the codes are wrong as they should be Sky or grey but life's too short. Just a few bits to do but the prop and canopy will take time. 

resized_6251f528-689e-4d09-ad96-1d85d995

resized_64c1825c-0ce4-4808-9445-66dcf393

• Like 4

Wheels on and painted. 

resized_af67d5ed-ee20-422f-8000-c5c25dc4

I have checked out some spare canopies and unfortunately none fit as the aperture is too wide, and a tad shallow. The latter I could deal with with careful sanding or strips of plastic card. I'll have to have a rethink. Also the undercarriage doors I'd earmarked from an Airfix Mk22 are too big and not really trimmable without a lot of work. I'll probably craft a couple out of plastic card using a Seafire MkIII's as a template. The good news is I have a useable pitot from the Mk20

• Like 1

New prop taken from a Seafire MkIII boxing which alos has a fuselage and most parts for a MkV. I've capitulated on the canopy and decided to use the kit one as nothing in the stash of canopies would fit. It's a real shame as the canopy is pretty good and clear, just too big and wider than the fuselage again. Anyway hopefully a bit of paint on it will mask its size. 

resized_a5e5175c-632c-4e27-a68c-452db2b9

• Like 1

The canopy on and painted. The aerial mast has been added too and all she's waiting for is a couple of coats of matt varnish. And some undercarriage doors! I've made a couple out of plastic card using one from a Seafire kit as a template. The interior have been painted and just awaiting the paint drying and they'll be glued on. A quick slap of Medium Sea Grey on them and then she'll be ready for the varnish. 

resized_56743722-97d8-4196-b82c-fd2b3d02

• Like 3

New doors added and some paint on. A first coat of matt varnish. Another coat and it'll be finished. 

resized_20f7a95e-da44-45c1-a83b-f3d980bb

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Another coat of varnish and canopy unmasked. Now finished and flying off to the gallery. 

resized_385fe652-4f8b-4635-88b9-7698533e

On 6/7/2020 at 8:35 AM, 825 said:

Not a high flying PR Spit or High Altitude version, or even a speed record breaker. As im awaiting canopy masks for my Seafires I thought I would see if I could build and finish one of these Hobbyboss kits while waiting. 

resized_bdf3ec29-82e7-4890-9779-da333504

Although simple they are well moulded and accurate, with a level of detail that would shame some mainstream makers. The cockpit is moulded into the one piece fuselage but it has seat and control column detail albeit simplified. Here are the contents. 

resized_972e5d50-7172-4704-9fd4-4ea4eb7e

Two little challenges, there are no undercarriage doors but I can either scavenge some from another kit where resin replacements have been used or there are 'closed' doors that can be adapted. Or even a few minutes with some plastic card. The other is filling the location for the bomb. I'll make mine a straight interceptor. 

Simple instructions and transfers for two options, one Dark Green/Dark Earth and one Dark Green/Ocean Grey. 

resized_11428f36-047c-48a9-bee1-6407d135

But the colour call call outs are seriously weird. I can almost understand the medium grey and light gull grey (but not the light green) for the 303 Squadron version but Light Gull Gray instead of Sky for the 317 Squadron option!

resized_edf296bc-ad4e-4220-8390-e5ed581d