Heinkel He 219A-7 Uhu

reini

TAMIYA 1:48 Heinke He 219A-7 Uhu

spacer.png

Uhu is just a cool looking plane, been waiting to build this one for a while now. Also, has couple things that will challenge me in the painting - black and rather complicated camo work on the top side.

spacer.png

spacer.png

It's a very tail heavy plane with practically no space on the front - so it's great that Tamiya is giving (a rather heavy) nose weight which doubles as the cockpit floor & nose gear bay.

spacer.png

spacer.png

It's decently sized model, so should be quite impressive looking when done.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

May 1945. I specifically wanted to do a version with black undersides - because I think it looks cool and I haven't really painted black, so it will be fun to try out making it look interesting & weathered. Also, the camo job is something I'm not yet sure how I will do it. I think  the correct way is to paint the darker color first and do 'snakes' with the lighter color, but I'm not sure me & my airbrush are up to the task. I will have to do some testing. I got the AS-5 spray can, but I guess I can decant that for the airbrush too.

• Like 8

Great choice. 

I love the HE-219. A really impressive and ground breaking  aircraft. 

I built this kit back in the 90’s not long after it was first released and remember it being a great build. 

Will follow with interest. 

James

• Thanks 1

Welcome to the GB Reini, I find the German nightfighters an utterly compelling and interesting subject, it's those airspeed sapping aerials that do it.

I can't help but wonder what the He-219 would have looked like with a centimetric radar.

Good luck with your build.

• Like 1

Let's start with the cockpit, where else.

spacer.png

RLM 66 first.

spacer.png

Then a drybrush with lighter grey.

spacer.png

Followed by Tamiya Panel liners. The way I've started to do grey cockpits is that I use the Dark Grey first basically as a wash, so I paint it all around. And while it's still wet, I drop little black on the edges and corners to create more shadows, it blends nicely with the grey.

• Like 7

You are going to enjoy this build. It’s a good kit. There are a few areas that will need some clean up but they are easy. I built one and made mention of the tweaks a month or so ago and posted it here on BM. 

Cheers

Collin

• Like 1

spacer.png

Picked up some of the cockpit details with light grey. Also some chipping with pencils, have not used them before. But they seem to be quite good precise way of doing the chipping.

spacer.png

More details picked out with yellow & red. Also painted the gauges with clear coat.

spacer.png

I used pigments to do final weathering to the cockpit.

spacer.png

It's not a big cockpit but it weighs like a ton. It's real good that Tamiya made such a clever nose weight, it would be real hard to find space for weight otherwise as it seems that this plane needs a lot of it. I just hope the landing gear are up to the task....

spacer.png

Step three of the instructions, closing the fuselage.

• Like 11

spacer.png

The kit comes with pilots and decal seat belts, but I wasn't tempted to go with either option. So DIY Tamiya tape belts it is.

spacer.png

With some added plasticard buckles & details.

spacer.png

All painted up, ready to go into the cockpit.

spacer.png

Cockpit is pretty much done. I'll add the canopy to protect the cockpit and carry on with the rest of the build

• Like 7

spacer.png

The upwards firing cannons were glued together and put in place. There are some details with the guns altough apart from the tip of their barrels, they are hidden inside the fuselage. I drilled the nozzles open a bit so they look slightly better. Not sure if these were the type that fired automatically when the shadow of a bomber fell upon them, or were they operated by the radar operator - but pretty interesting concept anyways. It seems the Uhu also had traditional forward firing guns in an under fuselage gondola.

spacer.png

RLM02 for the wheel wells. Or atleast Vallejo's version of it.

spacer.png

I washed the wheel wells with some Streaking Effects, diluted down with enamel thinners to make it flow little bit better.

spacer.png

Also added some darker colors to the mix. I was bit excessive with the application, altough it's very easy to clean up so no big mistake.

spacer.png

Cleaned up with cotton bud & brush. Instead of using the enamels as a panel liner, I went more like staining & dirtying up the weel wells, adding some different shades. Once dry I will continue to tidy it up with enamel thinner.

• Like 3

spacer.png

Cockpit is hidden & protected - masked the canopy with Tamiya tape. I like to put the canopy early on, so no sanding dust etc. gets into the cockpit.

spacer.png

Tailplane is on. Honestly, the fit to fuselage would not have needed glue, it snapped on so tightly.

spacer.png

Probably comes as no suprise that Tamiya kit has excellent fit. Like these two part engine nacelles fit nicely, no second guessing where anything should go and no horrible seams left behind. Some light sanding and you're good.

spacer.png

But I did have to use some filler :o But honestly, that has been the only place so far...

spacer.png

Tamiya does tend to have some ejector pin marks, like the ones here inside the wheel well doors. Left one has been sanded, just needs to pin new rivet holes.

spacer.png

One on top still needs to get rid of the ejector pin marks, one below has been sanded & rivets applied again after the sanding.

spacer.png

Wings are aligned using separate support beams that go thru the fuselage. I glued one on the other wing and one on the other - and probably glue on the wings to the fuselage at the end of the build, the fit is so good. I can use the supports while handling the wings for the painting etc.

spacer.png

But I wanted to test fit the wings anyway, here is the Uhu getting pretty close to painting alongside a Revell 1:48 Photo Panther.

• Like 8

Reini, really great progress so far, I really like the weathering in the cockpit, all too often we see well modelled exteriors with pristine interiors, in-service aircraft weather inside too!  You've done a good job there, well done.

• Like 1

Great work Reini 

It really is a great kit. Can’t believe it’s circa 1997, it wouldn’t look out of place with today’s offerings. 

James

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

spacer.png

Alright, black is done. First I went with three different shades of black (Tamiya Black, Rubber Black & Nato black)  to create a bit more varied surface but I thought it could be taken little bit further. So on top of that  I used grey, brown and blue as a pre-shade, created all kinds of squiggly bits - which I went over with opaque layer of Vallejo NATO Black.

spacer.png

Then I masked over the black and went over the top surfaces with Tamiya AS-5. Next is the camo spots on top of that - I'm trying to go in freehand and see how it works. I can tidy it up with AS-5 if it gets too messy (after I decant it to airbrush).

But that's not all I've been up to today...

spacer.png

I've been spending little less time on the forums during June, so I'm not sure in what group build @Marlin is sharing his delicious food pics - but this is for you Bosse :thumbsup: Potatoes from our own garden and some pork, all spiced up and ready for the grill.

spacer.png

We have our 'summer room' in the garden - which is lovely during the mornings and evenings - but too hot during the days. So BBQ will be happening on the lawn. I think next summer I have to build some kind of terrace on front of our summer room, to extend it out a little bit.

spacer.png

Almost there :)

spacer.png

Bon appetit! :thumbsup:

• Like 4