Photo Banshee

SWORD 1:72 F-2H-2P Photo Banshee

spacer.png

One of my more recent purchases. I'm currently working on Hobby Boss's F9F Panther and thought it could use a friend.

spacer.png

Colour schemes. This will be a Navy bird, most likely.

spacer.png

Decals. By Eduard, as it seems.

spacer.png

spacer.png

It's a short run kit, for sure. Not saying that is a bad thing - I mean the details are pretty nice for the most part, but you can also see that there will most likely be a lot of sanding & fitting included.

spacer.png

Interestingly the nose section is a clear part - because of all the camera windows. One way of doing it, I guess.

spacer.png

Resin parts included - and they look pretty nice. Sadly, one of the intake fence thingies is bent but I guess it will straighten out with some heating.

spacer.png

And also comes with Eduard PE sheet. 

I have not read or done any research about this kit - but I'm expecting (and looking forwards) to do some actual modelling to make it all come together. But definitely has the pieces fora nice looking kit - we will see how I manage it :)

• Like 4

The Banjo is one of my favorite golden age weenie cookers! I will be watching this WIP, as i have built the Airfix kit but not this one. You might want to  check Tommy Thomason's Tailhook Topics blogs, as he has done several articles on modeling and detailing Banshees.  Detail and Scale has done a print and a digital monograph on the Banshees as well.

Mike

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

spacer.png

Cockpit is quite bare without the PE parts - but as the PE comes with the kit it's no problem. The little detail that the plastic part has, will be shaven off and replaced with PE.

spacer.png

I glued on the nose wheel well...

spacer.png

... and let it cure. Only to realise that the kit actually came with a resin part too! :o But, in all honesty, the parts are identical, you get no extra detail or even be noticieably sharper with the resin part. Only thing is that there is an ejector pin mark on the bottom of the plastic part, but I figured that it will be less of a hassle to get rid of it instead of cutting & breaking out the plastic part out of the frame.

spacer.png

Cockpit has been cleaned., ready for some primer and PE coverings.

spacer.png

I used Tamiya Rubber Black, which is quite nice shade of off-black.

spacer.png

Most of the PE parts have been applied. As can be seen from the forward part of the side console, there is quite big gap between the PE and the plastic. And it was something that the instructions even told to cut down in preparation for the PE part. So not sure what was that all about, but no matter, PE supports itself just fine. I just hope this all fits the fuselage no problem...

spacer.png

There were some borderline pointless parts included, like these control levers. All four should have been used, but two were lost in the process. But no matter, they can hardly be seen in the first place, let alone when it's all buttoned down and the cockpit is buried into the fuselage.

spacer.png

Seat will get some PE parts too, like the belts. But I painted the main colors first.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Little bit of a break from this build - but I'm in the process of cleaning up my cabinet from unfinished builds so let's continue! It is a rather nice looking kit after all.

50937899116_58fb6ba8d1_o.jpg

Nose section is made out of clear plastic so I masked over the camera windows and painted everything black.

50937209698_2071da4195_o.jpg

Cameras themselves received silver details and a lenses made out of clear glue.

50937209658_88dc279f0f_o.jpg

Cameras fitted inside the nose. They were bit of a mess, I just hope they end up somewhat straight. We will see how they look in the end :)

50937209633_00c8dcc1e6_o.jpg

50938007707_5cd113c903_o.jpg

Nose closed and fitted to the fuselage. No problems, there, nice fit.

50937209583_8021de5877_o.jpg

Fuselage also received some rivet details lost in the sanding. Have not used this tool before but seemed to work nicely.

50937898986_965eecfee8_o.jpg

The other intake wall was bent but with the help of hot water was bent back into place.

50937899136_727a755ee9_o.jpg

Intakes and engines fixed into place. Again, the fit was vague but parts were locked into place with excessive amount of superglue.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Still working on this!

51091588744_0cedce0944_o.jpg

Got some paint on. I painted it black first and then went over with light grey using a Vallejo Weathered Paint stencil to create little variance to the surface. Couple of thin layers of Vallejo 71.300 Glossy Sea Blue.

51091601672_d0beec628d_o.jpg

Then masked the wing leading edges and other small stuff. Also the nose which needed some more sanding. These early jets don't necessarily have a camo but they still require plenty of masking...

51091511191_2b15e08462_o.jpg

Here is where we are at now. Masks off and ready for decals.

• Like 5

51095846481_c329324de5_o.jpg

Decals are on. For the most part they worked nicely.

51095927864_4abc5f4daf_o.jpg

Flory Models Gray wash is on. I ended up just lightly sanding the decals and not putting anykind of clear coat on them.

51096652585_0bebfb186f_o.jpg

Wash has dried.

51096390213_05b66de384_o.jpg

And cleaned off the excess. This will be the majority of the weathering.

• Like 3

51104119654_ceb5818f42_o.jpg

Cameras unmasked. They were fine without a need to correct anything.

51104141722_ab5aa105b1_o.jpg

The decals settle really badly to the fuel tanks and I almost ended up throwing them away and displaying the plane without the tanks, but I decided to give it a try to fix them anyway, nothing to lose.

51104280333_c3381eac2e_o.jpg

I found good match of orange from my Citadel paints. These Foundation paints (I think they are called Base paints now) have excellent coverage so while normally orange, red, yellow etc. are just near impossible to paint, with this you can get a decent coverage which I followed with slightly brighter orange.

51104141767_489e2c9408_o.jpg

I think they ended up okay so I was happy to put them onto the model

51104119624_34fef0d89b_o.jpg

51104119609_56b1f8cf40_o.jpg

Landing gears were quite tricky with a mix of not-so-good fitting landing gear legs and small PE parts. Took me a few efforts to get most of the parts roughly to the area where they are supposed to go.

51104119609_56b1f8cf40_o.jpg

I added some Flory Models Dark Dirt was to break the surface a little bit and that was pretty much my weathering. I think the worn out look that the grey wash created was good enough for the most part.

51104127849_7bfce92b8e_o.jpg

51104051861_2cb95c609f_o.jpg

51104127774_7cf24f42aa_o.jpg

I added a pitot tube from a needle and here we are - all done! :) 

More photos in the RFI thread:

Thanks for checking out this build! :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1