Auto Union Typ C, German GP '36

On July 13th 1936 Bernd Rosemeyer married his beloved Elly Beinhorn, and two weeks later, July 26th, the perfect wedding present came with the victory of the German Grand Prix at Nürburgring, and this was the car Bernd raced, the Auto Union Typ C, a demanding car that Bernd by this time was the master of.

The base is the 1/24 scale resin kit from FPPM, Fernando Pinto, in Portugal. It takes some work preparing all the resin parts, but it's a very rewarding build. I have also added some small details and improvements of my own. The WIP-thread can be found here.

AU100.jpg

AU101.jpg

AU102.jpg

AU103.jpg

AU104.jpg

AU105.jpg

AU106.jpg

AU107.jpg

AU108.jpg

AU109.jpg

AU110.jpg

AU111.jpg

AU112.jpg

AU113.jpg

AU114.jpg

AU115.jpg

AU116.jpg

AU117.jpg

• Like 26

Another stunning build Jörgen! It must have been really something to race this thing, what with sitting so close to the front wheels!

• Thanks 1

Yet another excellent result from you, and a very realistic result. It's certainly been interesting following the build thread on this, which shows off your skills very well.

As Jeroen has intimated, these have always looks out of balance to me with the driver so far foward and masses of engine behind (not sure why these should look more out of balance that other cars, but they do to me) - I certainly wouldn't fancy going straight on at a corner in one of these.

• Like 2

Really nice build, your Work in Progress post really shows all the detail you've put into this. If you hadn't mentioned it, I would have thought it was a much larger scale than 1/24

I do love pre-war GP cars & the rear engine ones look about as safe as they probably were! 

• Thanks 1

Beautiful work; I love these amazing machines with fearsome power and heroic drivers.  I've seen and heard some 1930s Grand Prix Mercedes in action but I don't think I've seen any of the reborn Auto Unions in action.  I don't know much about Rosemeyer but I know how much respect he earned from motoring writers for his skill behind the wheel.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yet another extraordinary jewel.

The subject and build are both superb.

That engine on the back must have been something, possibly wanting to turn around at the least opportunity.

Long ago I had a Renault 4, and was carrying a large amount of clay in the back, very heavy, on a mountain road. The road was unpaved and on a slight curve the back of the car just swung all the way to the front, taking the car in the process off the road. A rock stopped the car from going over (no rails then on the roads).

Phew!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Moa said:

Yet another extraordinary jewel.

The subject and build are both superb.

That engine on the back must have been something, possibly wanting to turn around at the least opportunity.

Long ago I had a Renault 4, and was carrying a large amount of clay in the back, very heavy, on a mountain road. The road was unpaved and on a slight curve the back of the car just swung all the way to the front, taking the car in the process off the road. A rock stopped the car from going over (no rails then on the roads).

Phew!

Thank you very much, I'm so happy you enjoy the model.

As you experienced, too much weight at the back can easily be too much too handle, even in a Renault 4.

I'm slowly building up a 1/1 scale historic rally car, an Alpine Renault A310, with a V6 engine hanging behind the real axle... it will not be kind with any drivers mistakes from my side, so we'll see what happens some day...

The Auto Union Grand Prix cars where very much a novelty at the time with the engine behind the driver, and in front of the rear axle. They where real beasts to handle and only a few top drivers managed to tame them, and young Bernd Rosemeyer was the one who did it the best.

But when we look at race car design today, this is the layout most are built according to; the mid engine design with the engine behind the driver but in front of the rear axle. Of course suspension technology and balance has developed a lot since then, not to mention tyres and brakes, but the Auto Unions where very much forerunners.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Bengalensis said:

Of course suspension technology and balance has developed a lot since then, not to mention tyres and brakes,

Indeed, just look at the difference between a current day Porsche 911 and one of the first early ones (where Porsche engineers allegedly put lead in the front bumpers and concrete in the front 'boot' to try and improve the handling balance!) 

Keith

• Like 1

From memory the Auto Union Grand Prix cars had less than ideal steering geometry with toe-in/out that changed as the suspension flexed, which must have made it difficult to apply steering corrections. I think the very first cars had swing-axle rear suspension, but that was changed for de-Dion rear suspension that at least kept the rear wheels perpendicular to the road surface.  I could also go on about roll centres and roll axis inclination, but people's eyes usually glaze over.

Rosemayer's great advantage was that he came from racing motorcycles, he didn't have to re-learn how a mid-engined Grand Prix car behaved because he'd never driven a front-engined GP machine.

I think you are right that the mid-engined racing car of the 1930s was an idea ahead of its time, waiting for the tyres and suspension to catch up enough to make it work.

• Like 2

The De Dion rear axle came with the Typ D V12 car and it made it a little easier.

Auto Union where very much testing the limits and threading their way, learning the hard way. But Dr. Porsche was undoubtedly on the right path.

But they were not first; see the Mercedes Tropfenwagen of 1923... Oh I hope FPPM will make a kit one day...

• Like 2

Just now seeing your freaking beautiful car.  I believe "stunning" has been at least twice.  It should be more.  An original Silver Arrow.  Is it missing decals?  Oh right, 1936.  Just kidding.  Awesome work!!!

Edited by JCH
  • Thanks 1