1/48 Fairey Flycatcher (Armory)

Hello all,

Here’s the new(ish) Armory kit. I got it at last years SMW but only just got round to building her. It’s a curious kit, felt a bit limited run on opening, it’s not the easiest kit to make - I found it quite challenging. And I was rushing it - I’ve got another kit I’m dying to start and I ungraciously raced through it (being written up for a magazine). That said, in the right hands this could be an absolute gem.

Anyway, here she is - from HMS Eagle 1924.

899714-BD-5-AB5-4355-94-E5-137183-DE9506

B58176-D5-BE33-4-D12-8-C3-E-A2-A4-A90-A8

1240-B5-D2-3833-4821-887-D-498-F51-C994-

799-D0486-281-E-4720-9647-99-DC75-F007-F

A68-D5407-D22-E-4309-B939-3-B5222836-B93

A3-A00-C54-1052-4424-9-A72-7-A7451-FA066

E13705-D8-364-D-4-C0-A-81-A2-28-A526-F28

D7-E22-ECE-8653-4-DBF-9-EA9-62597-E27873

Thanks,

Guy

Edited by Gisbod
  • Like 60
  • Thanks 1

What a lovely Flycatcher – doesn't feel that rushed… 😉

When photographing objects under an overhead light, it helps a lot to use a piece of white cardboard or styrofoam, perhaps wrapped in alufoil with the matte side out, as a soft light reflector, to lighten the shadows and preserve detail.

Beautiful model!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

Ah thanks all for the nice comments,

Yes, it’s a lovely subject, slightly weird, but lovely none the less!

21 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

What a lovely Flycatcher – doesn't feel that rushed… 😉

When photographing objects under an overhead light, it helps a lot to use a piece of white cardboard or styrofoam, perhaps wrapped in alufoil with the matte side out, as a soft light reflector, to lighten the shadows and preserve detail.

Beautiful model!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Hi Joachim, 

Yes, I have tried that, but I kinda like the shadows- somehow adds a bit of depth. All very subjective I know!

Cheers,

Guy

Superb job there Guy. I found this one whilst looking at your 1/350 KGV WIP which in itself is helpful for me also have one in the stash. A busier boy than me clearly!

Terry

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

I found this one whilst looking at your 1/350 KGV WIP which in itself is helpful for me also have one in the stash. A busier boy than me clearly!

Terry

Thanks Terry, 

But quantity doesn’t mean quality... 🤪

Guy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That looks fantastic. In a fit of nostalgia, I just obtained all the old INPACT kits, Bulldog, Fury, Gladiator and the Flycatcher.
I've been able to get Model Alliance decals for all of them except the Flycatcher so the big question...Do you have any leftover decals you want to sell?  🤪 I have tons of roundels, but need some other markings, I can't find any anywhere.
Thanks, and again great looking model. I like the evocative photography too.

1 hour ago, SilverWingsSmitty said:

That looks fantastic. In a fit of nostalgia, I just obtained all the old INPACT kits, Bulldog, Fury, Gladiator and the Flycatcher.
I've been able to get Model Alliance decals for all of them except the Flycatcher so the big question...Do you have any leftover decals you want to sell?  🤪 I have tons of roundels, but need some other markings, I can't find any anywhere.
Thanks, and again great looking model. I like the evocative photography too.

Hi, 

Thanks Smitty, I didn’t use mine, I sprayed them all, and as a result, they were thrown out!

Apologies,

Guy

Your model is truly awesome; an outstanding build. Of course, the cockpit caught my eye (as I nearly always look for photos of those) and I had to smile when I noticed even the lettering on the tires was reproduced. Were the tires painted or are those stencils or decals? If hand painted I surely wish I could do that. Hands aren't as steady as they used to be.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...