Rib tape decals

banzaiduke

Checking Scalemates for rib tapes, it's not a question of where to buy, but rather are there any brands that produce these as a stand alone product in 1/48 scale?  Unfortunately the answer appears to be no.   The only manufacture listed is Americal/Gryphon from 1985, and I believe they closed up shop well over a decade ago.

Eduard came out with separate rib tapes only because they recently released their 1/72 Fokker D.VII this year (which already are included in the kit).   It's rare for a kit to not include them on a decal sheet (unless it's a cheap kit).

If you have some leftover lozenge that is long enough, you can trim those into strips?

regards,

Jack

(If you have some leftover lozenge that is long enough, you can trim those into strips?)

Can lozenge strips be used on a Albatross Dv with top lozenge camo ? most photos show a lighter strip over the ribs.

And the model is Eduards Dv in Revell packaging , i believe .Have got the Print scale pt2 decals to jazz it up a bit . I did see coloured rib tape in my search for Print scale but cannot for the life of me remember where they were! As a result google was useless ,Typical ain't it?

5 hours ago, JackG said:

Yes the 1/48 ones are stocked at Hannants, but the OP wants coloured ones, not stitching.

Another question.These decals would go over the joins in between ribs because there was no stiching over ribs? Thanks for every ones help!!

I've only studied the tip of the iceberg when it comes to lozenge fabric, so from what I've read:

- the type of colour or pattern material used on rib tapes depended on the time frame and manufacture of the aircraft

- tapes run along the length of the rib frames to protect the stitching that punctured the main fabric covering along this area

- depending on the direction fabric was applied to the wings, tapes would be applied to the exposed seams

39005918_1217441738395823_91018681379004

39023256_1217441721729158_39164059321829

39024185_1217441728395824_78823178521479

Lot more detail from the late Dan San Abbott:

"Blue tapes were on the wings and tails of aircraft built by the Ost Deutsche Albatros werke (OAW). Albatros built Fok. D.VII aircraft had salmon pink tapes. Fokker, Halberstadt, Rumpler, LFG Roland, LVG used cut strips of the lozenge fabric. So gentlemen, do a little research on the model you are making before you put the lozenge panels on the wings and the rib tapes on. If you have a question, I would be pleased to help. Fokker used strips of the lozenge fabric for the rib tapes. After the ribs on the wings and stabilizer were taped the leading and trailing and wing tips and stabilizer seams were taped over. The aileron, elevator, fin and rudder ribs were not taped. The seams surrounding the ailerons, elevators, fin and rudder taped. The seams on the fuselage were NOT taped.

OAW used blue tapes and sometimes used strips of lozenge cloth.

Albatros used salmon pink tapes and sometimes used strips of lozenge cloth

"I believe that Eagle Strike has gotten it very close in both 4 & 5 colour. Their solid colour rib tapes are still too wide. Use the 1/72 rib tapes on the 1/48 scale kits. Also remember. The rib tape was one colour type. If they took 5 colour upper surface material it was used in one piece around the entire wing rib upper and lower surface. Yes, Virginia this means that on the under surface you would see the dark 5 colour upper surface material rib tape. I have seen many good examples of this. It would not make sense to cut strips of upper and lower surface material and sew them together at their ends so the strips would match their backgrounds not in a factory attempting to meet production deadlines."

* *the Albatros used salmon colored rib tapes and OAW used blue tapes, Roland used natural linen tapes on the Rol.D.VIa, while most others used strips of printed lozenge fabric for the rib tapes. *I don't know of any other manufacturer the used salmon pink or blue, I think that this was unique to Albatros and OAW. *On the lozenge tapes the manufacture sewed or tacked the dark and light strips together at the leading. They were NOT mixed on the top and bottom surfaces..
* * * * * * * Blue skies,
* * * * * * * * Dan-San

regards,

Jack