Viet-NAM! Tunnel rats

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Simon,

that’s really great stuff. Was very impressed by the photographs, but then when I saw the video, I was blown away. You are an artist in every discipline.

So absolutely atmospheric.  And I am always impressed by the black background. 
Thx for sharing 

Cheers 

Andy 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Awesome work Simon, I keep revisiting this. I was thinking of doing something Stalingrad-y with a bunker based around Miniart's "Dinner at the front" below and somecold Germans huddled round a brazier up top. 

What did you use for the bulk of the structure? Did you build a wooden frame or similar? I didn't see an WIP thread.

Very inspiring work!

Cheers.

• Thanks 1

On 09/04/2021 at 20:14, ModelMonkey said:

Awesome work Simon, I keep revisiting this. I was thinking of doing something Stalingrad-y with a bunker based around Miniart's "Dinner at the front" below and somecold Germans huddled round a brazier up top. 

What did you use for the bulk of the structure? Did you build a wooden frame or similar? I didn't see an WIP thread.

Very inspiring work!

Cheers.

I used 3 blocks of foam glued together then cut out the tunnel system then used a thick polyfilla as a plaster and covered the full thing. Then coated it with watered down pva to seal it. I sanded it smooth before pva and moulded any floor and wall textures too

Didn't see this first time around. It's really impressive. As it happens I visited the Cu Chi tunnels with my wife on my honeymoon. That statement really is bizarre when you think of the reality of those tunnels. Our honeymoon was in Vietnam! 

Of course we went down a tunnel suitably widened for flabby westerners. My wife was fine even though her backpack kept scraping off the ceiling. I don't normally suffer from claustrophobia but I had to get out at the first exit. 

I had previously read a book about the tunnels so was prepared, I thought. 

I now have the utmost respect for the Vietnamese who lived and fought there and the American tunnel rats who infiltrated the tunnels. 

Great work. 

• Like 1