Italeri 1/48 Wessex HAS.3 'Humphrey'

Hi kids,

Here's my latest completion. This is Italeri's 1/48 Wessex HAS.3, in the markings of 'Humphrey' used during the abortive SAS mission to retake South Georgia, and the subsequent rescue from Fortuna Glacier on 21st May 1982. As far as I can tell this is how the aircraft appeared over these few days, confirmed by a conversation with Chris Parry (radar operator on the said flights). He is hoping to get 'Humphrey' restored in time for the 40th anniversary in 2022 and has invited me to the FAA museum to participate. Hopefully I can get down there for a weekend.

Many thanks to Scaley for the gift of the GPMG for the rear window.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I assumed the 'Humphrey' motif on the nose had been obliterated in the repaint on the way South, but when I spoke to Chris he confirmed that it was present at the time of the Fortuna Glacier operations. So out with the decal sheet and some Klear and I managed to get it to 'take' on the flat coat.

spacer.png

Thanks for looking,

Gareth

• Like 40
  • Thanks 1

Very well done model. Call me crazy but I like the "folded up" look and I suppose it's just because it's different from the usual helicopter model. What I could see of the interior made it clear great work was involved there as well. 

Next to 'Ol '66' the SH3 that participated in US astronaut recoveries, without a doubt the most famous and beloved rotary wing aircraft of all time. That's a great build and tribute model. I, too, hope  the 1:1 scale Humphrey can be restored in tome for the anniversary.

Mike

Absolutely fantastic, miles better than my attempt with the old Revell one. Chris Parry's twitter account has been fantastic over the last few weeks going over what they were doing. 

Hello Goon,

This is modeling with history in mind. It makes my day, that this specific helicopter is constructed on this scale.

The model, despites it's dull color,  looks great in every aspect.

The flight  crew LT.CDR. Ian Stanley RN, LT. Chris Perry RN and CPO RN Fitz Fitzgerald, showed no fear under the most dangerous conditions.

Taking in account, that this type of helicopter was already outdated. "Operation Paraquat" had a disastrous start. In the end it was nipped in the but by the Fleet Air Arm crew from this Wessex HAS3, that was operated to the ultimate maximum of it's flight envelope

To my opinion, all the credit for this operation goes to the crew  of "Humphrey" They kept their heads cool and showed extreme

craftmanship under the most extreme weather conditions.

I was also very pleased to read, that "Humphry" will be restored to its old glory.

Book: Operation Paraquat by Roger Perkins. Published 1986 / ISBN 0 948251 13 1.

Regards,

Orion.