Pros and cons of airbrushing - general advice sought

dandove

I am coming back to modelling after a very long break. I am wondering about airbrushing. Something I saw online suggested that there are issues in terms of particles being dispersed around the room. I do not have a designated work area so I would not really want other items in my environment to be affected by the airbrushing. The item suggested the dispersal of particles could potentially have a negative effect on one's health. Any clarification on how much of a big deal this side of things is would be greatly appreciated. I would like to know whether such considerations might outweigh the benefits of airbrushing. Many thanks.

The process is based on atomisation of paint. Which means it will go everywhere, from the furniture to your lungs. While you can wipe it from the furniture you need to wear a mask to protect your body. You can go with water based paints and use water as a thinner (and become incredibly frustrated with airbrushing rather quickly) to minimise the damage done to your health or you can get at least a foldable spray booth, a mask and use alcohol/lacquer based paints. I chose the latter. 

There are a lot of factors that are involved. Paint type, available space being the two main ones. 

I airbrush acrylics (usually Vallejo Model Air and Mig Ammo). These leave no solvent smells and are advertised as non toxic (although it is probably best to still wear a mask). Your cleanup solutions will smell a little. When I spray Tamiya (not lacquer) it does smell a little more and might annoy a fellow resident. I don't have experience of spraying enamels so I can't comment but I suspect you will need more serious ventilation.

It also depends on how much space you have at the time of use. For example if you had a reasonable sized table that you could cover you would likely to be okay. You might consider investing in a small spray booth. Even if you don't use the extractor fan it can help prevent overspray. However in general I think you will be surprised how targeted airbrushing actually is. 

If possible it is worth getting into airbrushing but be prepared for an occasionally frustrating learning curve. You will find that you have to use masking techniques a lot more that you were used to.

Edited by Pete F

I, too, will soon attempt to use my airbrush for the first time in about 3 decades. I do have a small, foldable spray booth and I also have a respirator fitted with the proper filters for paint. I will get a fan that I can fit in my basement room window to help extract fumes, smells, etc from the room. I just need the frikkin' rain to stop so I can finish my new garden and be done with the lawn work!

30939781988_578e89c3b3_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 1

Pros - for all but the smallest jobs it's faster and gives a vastly superior finish to brush painting for all but the most patient, practised and talented brush painters. It uses less paint once you learn only to paint the model and not the whole house.

Cons - you need to find a space to do it. Some use masks. One couldn't say it's a bad idea, although I'd venture most probably don't bother but don't want to admit it. Mess and overspray is 10 times worse spraying at 25 to 30psi compared to spraying at 10 to 15psi, but you need paints that thin well to use low pressures like that and frankly using water for a thinner you'll struggle to get good performance from any applicable paint at low pressure.

Whatever the type of paint you use, and whether brushing or spraying, most of any smell you get comes from the choice of thinners and that applies to so-called "airbrush ready" paints which you're paying a premium for to get paint already diluted with thinner.

Those who have been paying attention to the news lately have learned a lot about dangerous stuff floating about in the air - and that's just the stuff we can't control.  We all need to cut the angle on the stuff we can control.  Airbrushes atomise paint and nobody's lungs were designed to handle that safely.  It's not just particles:  solvents magnify the danger.  

So ventilation is a must and so is a good mask.  Eye protection won't hurt either.  I am about to give my airbrush another go too and intend to build a proper booth with extractor fan (to the outside) before I start taking chances.

Safety above all.  If you can't be safe doing it your widow won't care much about the wondrous finish on the model that killed you.

I've just started airbrushing, and I don't see any cons at all, really.  A couple of models in and I am much happier with the overall finish I'm getting, plus it's a whole new skill to learn.  I started with one of the low cost 'chinese' airbrush kits (typically available on ebay or amazon, etc), but am considering adding another brush as while the chinese brush is generally ok, I think a higher quality brush would be more controllable for detail work.

I'm using acrylics, but I still use a mask.  If you don't have a spray booth, then (depending on where you are spraying - I do mine in a room off the garage) a small fan set up to blow the mist away from you might be an idea, but preferably on a low setting so it doesn't affect the airbrush flow.

Just like @Werdna I've also just started airbrushing. For many, many years I had an Aztek A470 (the kit with multiple nozzles) in a drawer but never quite had the opportunity to use it. Now, as an adult, the time has finally come. The Aztek, however, is not an easy-to-use airbrush. I'm struggling quite a lot with selecting nozzles, and somehow the paint seems to find it's way into the body. I bought a cheapish AB from a local "everything and nothing" reseller here in Sweden called Biltema. They sell a lot of rebranded chinese products (tools and what not), and also airbrushes. It's a double action 0.35 mm needle. I'm actually happy with it for the time being in preparation for saving up for a "proper" airbrush from H&S or Iwata.

I really like working with the airbrush! It's a whole new level of building the kits when the paint looks a lot nicer than before. 

For me it's only been pros this far, @dandove, even with the struggling Aztek. If you decide to go down this road I'm sure you will not be disappointed!

As a recently returned modeller, I have stuck to brush painting for now as I don't have anywhere to set up a spray booth.

You can do an awful lot with brush painting and the odd spray can (outside) for metallics and tough colours like red and yellows.

It has also allowed me to focus on learning modelling skills and techniques without also having to learn how to airbrush.

• Like 1

People were airbrushing long before there were entrepreneurs selling home spray booths.  Something called ventilation.  If you are seriously worried than make one for yourself with a cardboard (or wood) box, a cheap fan, and a length of tubing from a shop selling tumbledryer spares.  I found an airbrush beneficial for Luftwaffe mottles, mainly, but obviously more helpful for larger scales than 1/72.

Agree with what @Graham Boaksays - my 'spray booth' is currently a cardboard box with the front and some of the top cut out.  I don't currently have any means of extraction, other than spraying in a drafty utility room off the garage, next to an open door.  At the end of the day, as a hobby we're probably spraying relatively small amounts, for relatively short amounts of time.  That's not to diminish the need for safety kit, but I still feel the level of risk is relatively low.. 

Many thanks for your informative comments. I now have a much better understanding of what is involved and think I will have to rely on ye olde paintbrush until such time as I can come up with a decent setup.