Hey guys and girls,

This is my rendition of Whirlwind HAS.7 ' XN358 '. (With the help of navy Wings i have found a lot of info on her)

I used the Airfix HAS.22 for this conversion...not aftermarket parts were used, just scratch built   (first conversion)

XN350 , built in 1960, served for 771 squadron at HMS Osprey, Portland. She had her ventral fin removed, tail rotor drive shaft cover removed along with wheel brakes and various things from like unneeded avionics. She was used was turned light weight to increase lifting capacity for the ASR role. This test was never an official test. Before long, she was converted back into conventional HAS.7 standard. She stayed in her markings until moved to 825 NAS in July 1960 where she was painted a grey and orange (like most ASR helis of the time) Later she was moved to 824 NAS in DEcember 1961 until 1963and stayed in the 825 marking. In 1963 she was taken to RN AMS Seafield Park...another move to the lee dump in 1980 until she was taken to the fire dump at RNAS Yeovilton (5 miles from me) in 1981-1982.

I would like to do the other renditions of her in the future, but for now i have done her first state

9f169cecce639d3db070bc8d51c29ad3.jpg

20968196fb621b4e2d8f3e70662d5d5e.jpg3594c7d0a74a1fc07c1b3de69fe5db35.jpg 

With some earlier models, a pair of lynx 

0b33fec14402c6a81351e41cad8f1fe3.jpg

I can see where i can improve on (for a conversion with no after market parts its pretty good )

Thanks for looking,

Rob

• Like 8

Looks like a nice build and conversion on a very old and basic kit, well done.

I respectively suggest that you seek advice on photographing your models.

Wulfman

1 hour ago, Wulfman said:

Looks like a nice build and conversion on a very old and basic kit, well done.

I respectively suggest that you seek advice on photographing your models.

Wulfman

Thanks, shame no one makes the whirly anymore. Yea could be a good idea about the photography, i use my phone , its old and horrible (Samsung galaxy A5 (2016))...hopefully i will be investing in a somewhat ok quality camera next year

Edited by Westlandaircraftenthusiast