RAF Refuelling Set ++++FINISHED++++

5 minutes ago, GREG DESTEC said:

I believe Airfix issued a box set with the Mosquito a while back, which would have been nice. 

Sadly not.  A Mosquito was depicted in the background on the original box art but never as a boxed set.  The Airfix diorama sets comprised a single-seat, single-engined fighter (Spitfire, Bf109 and P-51D spring to mind) and up to two vehicles.

22 minutes ago, stever219 said:

Sadly not.  A Mosquito was depicted in the background on the original box art but never as a boxed set.  The Airfix diorama sets comprised a single-seat, single-engined fighter (Spitfire, Bf109 and P-51D spring to mind) and up to two vehicles.

The Mosquito certainly did appear on the refuelling set box top, but according to Scalemates Airfix did issue a one off "Mosquito  FBVI plus refuelling set" pack with paint back somewhere in the 2000's, though I don't remember ever seeing it myself.

Pete

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, PeterB said:

The Mosquito certainly did appear on the refuelling set box top, but according to Scalemates Airfix did issue a one off "Mosquito  FBVI plus refuelling set" pack with paint back somewhere in the 2000's, though I don't remember ever seeing it myself.

Pete

Yep,

I was fairly sure I seen one a while ago.....

• Like 1

I had a Mosquito/Refuelling set a while back. I sold it on though.

It came in a rather bland brown and blue (!) box and also contained a set of paints and glue if I remember correctly. The box itself didn't look too much different to the one containing just the refuelling set. The picture used was the same. An odd bit of marketing from Airfix.

Tony.

• Like 2

I bought the refuelling set sight unseen for £3 off the club stand at my local railway show last year.  What could go wrong at that price?  Kit inside was mint!  I thought the box seemed full but as well as all the contents for the two RAF vehicles there was an entire mint in baggie 25pdr and Quad kit in there...Result 😎

• Like 1

Hi Mike,

£35 including postage sounds a bit steep - wonder it this GB had anything to do with the price?😲

Cheers

Pete

• Haha 1

I liked this thread as I had this kit knocking around in a draw for perhaps 20 odd years.. almost completed. I'd made up a light blue enamel mix  and painted it in that. Why I've no idea.. however just recently I got back in to the hobby and thought they would make a nice addition to a USAAF diorama. I painted them back to a Olive drab and black roof scheme and used some nice Vallejo Mecha petrolspills weathering  69.817 and my own wheel mud mix . They looked nice with my Airfix liberator B24-J. I mocked up a scale RAF Frying Pan hardstanding on a sheet of flooring underlay . I found some on line information that the RAF fuelling vehicles were used as a stopgap by the early arrived USAAF units in East Anglia,  only until the US vehicles arrived in England. With this in mind it's perhaps historically accurate to have this combo. My Liberator is of the 445th bomb group based at Tibbenham. Its operations officer being non other than the actor James Stewart. I cycled over to the airfield last time from Southwold. Maybe I'll take my completed lib there and pose it for some photos in front of the bomb group memorial. A worthy salute to all those very brave young men. 

• Like 3

Nice details in the picture Dogsbody. Thanks for posting this.  Actually the Airfix kit has a nice representation of this 'gubbins' at the back of the Bedford bowser. Is the hexagonal union a pump housing perhaps? 

Edited by Col Walter E Kurtz
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the lack of updates on this one. However I have not been idle. 

The Matador is finished and the Bedford is well on. I will try and post some images tomorrow.

Cheers Greg 👍

• Like 3

On 6/8/2020 at 8:03 PM, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

I liked this thread as I had this kit knocking around in a draw for perhaps 20 odd years.. almost completed. I'd made up a light blue enamel mix  and painted it in that. Why I've no idea.. however just recently I got back in to the hobby and thought they would make a nice addition to a USAAF diorama. I painted them back to a Olive drab and black roof scheme and used some nice Vallejo Mecha petrolspills weathering  69.817 and my own wheel mud mix . They looked nice with my Airfix liberator B24-J. I mocked up a scale RAF Frying Pan hardstanding on a sheet of flooring underlay . I found some on line information that the RAF fuelling vehicles were used as a stopgap by the early arrived USAAF units in East Anglia,  only until the US vehicles arrived in England. With this in mind it's perhaps historically accurate to have this combo. My Liberator is of the 445th bomb group based at Tibbenham. Its operations officer being non other than the actor James Stewart. I cycled over to the airfield last time from Southwold. Maybe I'll take my completed lib there and pose it for some photos in front of the bomb group memorial. A worthy salute to all those very brave young men. 

Any pics of your build? That sounds like exactly what I am doing with my AEC refueller, which is currently about 80% complete. I'm basing mine off one seen in a photo at Grafton Underwood, in front of a B-17E.

Belatedly, here is an update on my build(s).

The kits go together well with a bit of care and attention. The airfix instructions are the old school exploded views with dotted lines showing you where to place the parts. This is all fine but doesnt show much in terms of the best sequence to follow so a bit of test fitting and planning is needed. 

The Bedford gave me most grief as i erroneously fitted the fuel tank before the cab and found out to my horror it was too far back on the undercarriage. Out with the Tamiya green top and i was acrefully pulling it apart to reposition. 

All was well in the end and its looking better now, here are some pics...

TFL 

Greg

50042906691_cb0e4d0c9c_z.jpg

50043164637_1d2f7afb8e_z.jpg

50042906676_4df021f5c1_z.jpg

50042349738_685b46b1fa_z.jpg

50043164687_20029fc416_z.jpg

50042349668_a551138a74_z.jpg

50043164672_390e6c44b8_z.jpg

50043164662_b5a11e87e2_z.jpg

50043164687_20029fc416_z.jpg

• Like 8

47 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

They've gone together very nicely Greg, excellent work.

Cheers Craig 👍

Just some weathering on the Bedford, and decals to do. I'll paint up some of the figures and it will be time for the gallery. 

There's still a wee while to go before this GB closes so I may be have one more to fit in. Trouble is most of what's in the stash is already in the GB. 

I have an Airfix Stirling, Liberator, and a Matchbox Beaufighter. 

😁

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jinxman said:

They look great - I would recommend starting the Liberator, (assume it is the Airfix one?)

Yep. Got it from Woolies in Elgin before they closed. Came with a B-29 paints and glue. B-29 was built in the Classic Airfix GB a while back.

🍺 

• Like 3

IMG_0519

IMG_0522

Danbouy , as promised... This was my take on the 20 year old kit.. hand painted with Humbrol enamel/ Sorry the pics are not that fantastic but you can get the idea..RAF vehicles appropriated by the USAAF 8th AF and painted by them to keep their ground staff occupied whilst they prepared for full scale ops and awaited their own fuelling to ship from 'Stateside' .  The fuel spills are done using the Vallejo Petrol spill acrylic.Nice but I I think I over did it.. And yes the Matador tanker is missing a piece at front of tank by the cab.! The 100 octane markings were from the original kit decals and those on the front and rear were borrowed from a US Airfix AEC Matador with artillery piece kit.. a large dollop of artistic licence on my part and in part  a practice piece for learning weathering as well.. still will fit in to my planned USAAF diorama ok.. 

Edited by Col Walter E Kurtz
  • Like 4

They've gone together beautifully Greg happy memories of all the Airfix vehicles for me,right now go and sort out another build and duplicates are fine

it's  good to see different approaches to a particular kit!

• Thanks 1